Carb rebuild

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Re: Carb rebuild

Post by PTWannaHave »

BigMike wrote:Now i see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Original shaft is, I believe, 3/16" and the new shop made one is 1/4"
Ah... I see! Thx.
PTWannaHave

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The first one of mine that got fixed was done by a good friend. He is one of those guys that can fix or build anything and his favorite comment is "not a problem". He reamed the body and made a new shaft. The next time it came up he said "you know where everything is and how to use it, you fix this one"
I know that not everyone has a mill in their shop but I think if done carefully a shaft could be made with a drill press and a file with brass rod from the hardware store.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

If anyone is reproducing these shafts in oversize I'd like to know who. I've made a couple of them and it is a difficult little part to make because the milled slot trapping the butterfly falls on the center line of the shaft causing a machine vise clamping issue. Supporting the shaft at both ends between twin collet blocks is what worked for me. The two 3-48 threads are no joy to do either.

The problem when reaming an elongated hole will be that the reamer will always tend to follow that hole changing the intended original location- this may or may not cause an issue with the butterfly closing off correctly depending how much that location has actually changed. That hole will always be worn on one side only, the direction in which it is pulled by the connecting link. Of the couple ones that I reworked, I trammed in the hole off the small counter bore at the top, bored the upper end with a re sharpened .246 end mill, then sent down the 1/4" reamer.

All things considered it's probably best to just go with the bronze bushing adapter kit that fits snugly in the upper counter bore although I have never used one of those myself. Folks have had nothing but good things to say about that type of repair, it's fast and easy with no disassembly required.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I installed that brass/bronze bushing repair 8 or 10 years ago and it needs worked on again. Disappointed that is all the longer it lasted. I have the arm setup like shown in the photo above and I could not find the correct shaft. Had to buy a shaft and have a machinist modify it. Since then I bought, I guess, a later version that has the arm crimped on. Plan on installing that carb. This is on my 147.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Charlie
There are 4 kits for the throttle shaft. Your carb has a part number stamped into the mounting flange on top. Take this number to a good dealer and they can cross it to the right kit. 25-757-13/-14-15/-16 I think 13 is the one for the 7/8hp models and one of the other 3 is for the clamp type. It's been 10 plus years since I was at the Kohler dealer but I did copy the page in the parts book as it's hard to find. Remember this is a Kohler part. It cub so any dealer can find you these. You should Be able to replace the bushing and keep going... I don't glue them in like the manual says, I also go to the hardware store and use bushings found in the little bins....perfect fit!

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Yes, I know there are several kits and I am relying on an aging memory, but I am sure I could not find the correct shaft for the carb with the throttle lever that is held on with what I call a pinch screw like the Carter carb on this thread. Could you post that page? I will get a photo of my carb linkage and post it.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

My paper copy is going to be hard to find....

Here is a link to a PDF file
Of the same manual

https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/ht ... 2377-E.pdf

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe is this what you are talking about?
DSCN6841.JPG
DSCN6841.JPG (192.17 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
Who keeps stuff around on paper now anyway? :lol:
DSCN6840.JPG
DSCN6840.JPG (196.45 KiB) Viewed 5656 times

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

iplimage.php.gif
iplimage.php.gif (78.39 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
Here is a diagram of my carb and item 4 is NLA

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken that looks right. I have it, just in a box some place!
Charlie you want the 25-757-17 kit per kens picture

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe, Charlie,
You know, I have been wondering about why I went through the trouble of making those throttle shafts and it seems to me now that was because you can't get them anymore.
And this was years ago.
I may or may not have gone oversize with them but stock is .250.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

It has been some time since I bought a shaft, but my foggy memory is sure I could not get the one I needed configured for the clamp on throttle control arm. Most likely why you made one, Ken.

Found my old shaft.
Attachments
My Old Shaft
My Old Shaft
ThrottleShaft.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 5614 times