New plow mods

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

New plow mods

Post by Farmallgray »

As I mentioned a few days ago I had been planning some more mods to my plow before the plow days. I am bound and determined to plow at Ft Allen with my coulter on. I studied the plows some of the green boys were running last year and copied some of their ideas. I had been using my sleeve hitch plow with an A frame adapter. Now I converted it to mount directly on the cat 0 hitch. This allowed me to move the coulter forward ahead of the A frame which should keep the trash from jamming up between the coulter and the moldboard.
IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG
IMG_3939.JPG
IMG_3935.JPG
Hopefully I'll have some time to try it in the garden tomorrow. If I'm happy with how it works I'll throw some paint on and I'll be ready for next Saturday.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Re: New plow mods

Post by cbingaman »

Todd, the mods look good. You do very nice work on your machinery. Thanks for the help this afternoon. I can't say that the end results were any better though. Just can't seem to get the plow to track right. Found a manual on Brinly Hardys website and hopefully following that will give better results.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Here are a couple of the Wizard plows.
IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG

lonnyb
First and Last Name: Lonny Buttke

Post by lonnyb »

If you have your 3 point plow set up correct you do not/should not need the weight hanging on the back of the plow.

I plow my 180' X 60' garden each year with out the aid of extra weight, and happy to say when I broke the 30 year old sod I did so with a 102 and a 10" brinly and needed no extra weight.
Here are a few shots of some of the different cubs I have plowed gardens with,

Cub 127 hi-crop # Ohio Steel 10"

72 & 10" plow

3235 & 12 inch plow

No weight hanging on any of the plows, as I said, its not needed if the plow is set up right.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Lonny,
Have you ever plowed in PA?

No you don't "need" the weight but in our heavy clay soil it makes it work better. You can plow a little deeper using less point
which makes for less wear on the share. It also helps the coulter cut through the heavy trash. At the plow days here, all the guys that make the nicest looking furrows have some weight on their plows.

sblunier
First and Last Name: Steve Blunier (Mr. Plow)

Post by sblunier »

30# on any GT plow helps a bunch. There is aa big difference between a well tilled soft garden and field soil that has been run over with a combine, etc. Weight allows for a better looking furrow with less side slip and better rolling cutter penetration.

We use to add weight to the back of our big plows too...just to help keep everything in the ground nice in hard IL black dirt.

Nice mods on the plow, be ready to adjust for side slip when it starts to pull hard, especially with the bottom that far back.....if it side slips too much your rolling cutter may not cut enough. A deep rolling cutter, provided it doesn't carry the plow bottom, is a good thing for clean furrows and easy plowing.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

OH i just gotta add to this thread!

The old plow day site in umm luthersburg i think the ground was so hard theres pictures of guys standing on there plows with there knee on the seat top, one hand on the hydro and another on the wheel.... just trying to get the point to grab! I think i have been going to plow days for at least 7 maybe 8 years... maybe more and all i can say are the soil conditions will make or break you!

Hopefully tommarow ill drag out the 149D hope it starts (oh wait its a diesel of course it will start) and make sure its good to go! maybe ill try to add some weight also!

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Ft Allen is always tough, but Danville usually is nice to plow. Although this week, I'm more concerned it's going to be way too wet!! We'll see, but it's still raining almost daily!

JamesObrien
First and Last Name: Tim Edington

Post by JamesObrien »

LonnyB, what size wheel/rear tire setup are you running on that 127 "highcrop"? Looks interesting.
Cub Cadet 100
Cub Cadet 100
Cub Cadet 100
Cub Cadet 106
Cub Cadet 1450 (my dedicated mowing tractor)
Cub Cadet 128

lonnyb

Post by lonnyb »

Well looks like I will have to dig through a few thousand photo files to find the ones of my first 102 plowing 30 year old hay ground that was pasture for 20 years befor I purchased it. That land had never been turned over with a moldboard plow in all the years my father owned the land.
It was cleared of trees and brush back in 1974 useing a JD 1010 crawler and a homemade brush rake, leveled with a spring tooth harrow, and seaded down with red clover.
There are still placeses where you can pull dead grub wood out of the ground, rocks are plentyfull also, just try sticking a shovel in the ground or driveing a steel fence post in the ground, you are sure to hit a rock every time.

As far as clay goes, there is roughly 5 inches of black dirt on top of 30 feet of red clay, it takes a few months to dry out after the snow melts in the spring. Early June in normal ground turning time around these parts.
Once august comes and we have had no rain for 60 days the ground here turns rock hard.

Summer of 2002 I used power auger to drill fence post holes in this ground 3 feet deep, powder dry all the way down, and that with a water table sitting at 18 inches deep on normal years.

I have plowed all different types of ground, from clay, to gravel, to rich black loam to pure sand, and once you get the plow set for the type of ground you are working the added weight is not needed, oh it may help hold the plow in the ground, make it dig better, ect, but I have never found a need to add any once I adjust the plow for the ground I am working.

JamesObrien

Those are American Farmer tires sold by Miller tires, 7.60 X 15 inch

sblunier
First and Last Name: Steve Blunier (Mr. Plow)

Post by sblunier »

I am not going to get in a pee'in match with anyone over weigth on a GT plow. If you are happy with the job your plow does without weight, excellent.

Fact of the matter is, some Brinly plows work better than others....adjust all you want and some still work better than others.

Now, on adjustments........I have probably adjusted as many Brinly plows, if not quite a few more, as anyone else on here. I have found that if you want to pull a Brinly sleeve hitch plow deep, moderately fast, run a good rolling cutter to cut trash, and make/leave a NICE furrow wall, about 30# of weight behind the board is your best friend.

Can you plow without it...yup, does it work BETTER with it, almost always.

Sod, while it pulls hard, is easy to plow in because you can't help but leave a nice square wall and the "ribbon" pulls the plow in deep too. Gardens are also easy to plow as they are not subject to compaction and heavy trash. Tight black top soil, and or trashy clay will test your abilities. 50% sand and 50% clay is a Brinly plow's DREAM....anybody can do a good job in that.

Set and weight your plow to your liking, and have fun plowing. Looks to me like Todd has a winner!!!!

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

I don't care how anyone puts it..weight or not Todds plow does do a fine job..I should know as i followed him for a mile or so last year at Danville. Todd nice improvement to your plow as always you do good work :beer:
105 147 1650 382 782D

lonnyb

Post by lonnyb »

sblunier.

Well put!

It dont realy matter how you pull your plow, weighted or not, as long as you are happy with the job it is doing and it is getting the job done, that is truley what matters.

Oh! it also helps if you are having fun while playing/working with your garden tractor no matter what color you are driveing.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I am not going to get in a pee'in match with anyone over weigth on a GT plow. If you are happy with the job your plow does without weight, excellent.

Fact of the matter is, some Brinly plows work better than others....adjust all you want and some still work better than others.

Now, on adjustments........I have probably adjusted as many Brinly plows, if not quite a few more, as anyone else on here. I have found that if you want to pull a Brinly sleeve hitch plow deep, moderately fast, run a good rolling cutter to cut trash, and make/leave a NICE furrow wall, about 30# of weight behind the board is your best friend.

Can you plow without it...yup, does it work BETTER with it, almost always.

Sod, while it pulls hard, is easy to plow in because you can't help but leave a nice square wall and the "ribbon" pulls the plow in deep too. Gardens are also easy to plow as they are not subject to compaction and heavy trash. Tight black top soil, and or trashy clay will test your abilities. 50% sand and 50% clay is a Brinly plow's DREAM....anybody can do a good job in that.

Set and weight your plow to your liking, and have fun plowing. Looks to me like Todd has a winner!!!!
Yes Mr. Plow set my plow on Ted 10 years ago at RPRU in Pennfield, IL and I had 3 people look me up and tell me I was doing a good job. What's nice about plowing with an Original and have the one hole Brinly plow, the sleeve hitch made that plow and the plates so it don't swing. There is very little to set up. I started my tri wheel set that fall at the Blurnier farm and that's how Ted got his name from the Mayor.
Plowing at Blurniers
Plowing at Blurniers
PD4 my original 1.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
Ted's Sign wrote by "The Mayor"
Ted's Sign wrote by "The Mayor"
sblunier wrote:

lonnyb

Post by lonnyb »

Some times you can even plow a field with heavy trash, as seen in the next couple of photos, I was following Brian and in the second photo you can see just how much trash there was on the field.

I was the only one there with a cub cadet, all the others besides Brian had F-Cubs or Low-boys, and they where impressed with what that little 100 could do.