It could only happen to me

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

It could only happen to me

Post by wdeturck »

:roll: I had Ted(Original Original) parked in my backyard shed most of the winter and I went to take it out and there was a puddle of oil under it :?: I wasn't sure if it was the rear or the REAR PTO as it was very wet around the bottom 3 point brackets. I started it up and went to engage the rear PTO and the lever wouldn't move and wasn't engaged. I took it up to the shop and removed the right angle drive I have on it and started playing with the leaver and it moved a little and the PTO was engaged :o . but now it wouldn't disingage :?: :idea: Take the 5 bolts loose that hold the shaft part of the PTO and when I move the leaver the entire shaft would move :o . I was certian at this pont tat I knew what the problem was :|. Most of you will never put a rear PTO on their Original or NF tractor but getting that shaft in and the lever(#17) in to the Clutch, PTO Shifter(#16) isn't easy even though they give you a cover(#2) that suggests that it is easy.
I took all the bolts out and pulled the shaft assembly out and found my problem. Item #16 has a "Screw, 1/4-20 X 1/4 Hex Soc Hd Half Dog Pt Set" which goes into a slot cut into a spline on shaft(#11) so the item #16 doesn't fall to the bottom of the case. That setscrew which is left loose had tightened down on the shaft from vibration and only had very little movement :roll: Putting the shaft assembly back in is a real challenge and I found the best way it to hang #16 on the main shaft and getting #17 which goes through the case in the groove. I had learned that you can get to that set screw through the top fill hole in the transmission :!: . I put some lock-tite on the screw so it won't happen again. The oil leak was because I don't have a hole for #5 dowel pin and ended up with the gasket upside down left the oil leak out that hole between the covers :mrgreen: ole

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: It could only happen to me

Post by stevet »

Don't worry Geezer, that stuff happens to ALL of us, it's just a question of whether or not we admit it! Glad ya got it all worked out before the plow days!

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

geezer,

Yea that wasnt their best design.....i think originally they just burgered the threads a bit....but loctite is the way of the future! glad u got it fixed.
dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Just a note to add

Post by mlamar »

When I have the rear PTO unit out of a Cub I use a hammer and pointed punch and tap a few spots around the set screw opening (along with using loctite). I have thought :geek: of using a longer set screw and adding a nut to it like they do on the front mechanical PTO bearing lock collar. Not sure if that would work :?: but I may try it on the one I'm about to install in my 100. I have been lucky on installing the PTO units. They seem to go in easy for me, I swing the engage lever toward me while install the unit and move the lever a little as I'm sliding the unit in to feel when it is in the slot.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Mike Lamar: I think if you get 3 long pieces of 3/8" threaded rod and screw them in the holes that will keep the PTO centered enough and you cam feel the lever engage the clutch. On a NF you can't get to the top fill hole and my hand is to big to go through the hole to hang the clutch on the main shaft.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Good info guys. I'll hopefully be installing the PTO in my 100 sometime this summer.

What exactly does this set screw do?
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The setscrew is there to keep the clutch(#16) from falling off when you pull the shaft assembly out. If it falls you ave to pull the back cover unless you get lucky with a magnet. That clutch is just a splined sleeve that slides over to engage the PTO. You can't tighten that setscrew or the clutch can't slide.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I have never reinstalled that set-screw since I talked to you about all the trouble it was Geezer. I have to take it off every spring to put the tiller on and put it back on I guess just for looks when I'm done tilling for the year. I've never had a bit of trouble and do engage the pto from time to time. Yes, that part does fall off in the oil usually and I have to pull the back plate, but I still find that quicker than getting that set screw in. Just went through this Friday :lol:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Found this old thread and decided to bring it up since I'm getting ready to do this. The tractors after the Original don't have the fill plug on top so installing the set screw after installing the shaft isn't an option. According to the instructions you put the collar on the shaft and secure it with the set screw, then install the shaft assembly. I'm guessing I want to leave the shifter rod guide off so the lever can be pivoted forward which should allow the pin to go in the clutch groove before the shaft engages the trans shaft. Does that sound about right? The instructions do say to leave the lever guide off till you have the shaft assembly installed.
Attachments
PTO_Install_07[2].jpg
PTO_Install_08[2].jpg
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray