Tire Bead Won't Seat - ARGH!!

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Tire Bead Won't Seat - ARGH!!

Post by Farmallgray »

Bryan,
Try lubing them up with Gojo hand cleaner (the non pumice kind in tub). Or get some regular tire mounting lube.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

Bryan,my brother and i spent 3 hours mounting my tru-power 26-12-12,we used tire lube,soap,sprayed wheels with silicone,nothing worked,90 lbs. of air standing safe distance with tire in cage popped onto bead. I've never had any knowedge of anything like this, hope never to do this again.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

WE usually use vegetable oil... or soap and water... you dont wanna use anytype of petroleum based oils like motor oil, silicone wd-40 etc... as they will have ill effects on the tire itself.

Im assuming the rim was nice and clean no, wire wheeled or blasted and painted?
I generally only apply one coat of paint the the inside of the wheel... just enough so it dont rust.

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

cub1450
First and Last Name: Jed Harper

Post by cub1450 »

Bryan,
This is a little dangerous so be careful.What i do is take the tire and wheel outside lay it down and spray some ethal (starting fluid) around the rim and take a striker and light it up.It won`t burn your tires or wheels and you will have to do both sides but it will get a tire on every time. What it does it creates a vacuum and sucks the tire on the rim

, Jed
1978 1450 with IH Hubcaps
1975 1650SGT work in progress
1974 129 with sleeve hitch
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts
Brinly 8in plow ,12" in. plow, disc & rear blade, 2 44a,50a

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Put about 40 psi in the tire and pound on the sidewall with a rubber mallet all the way around to pop the bead on. Worked for me...
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Bryan, read my previous post...all you need is a rubber mallet. It worked on the Tru-Powers I put on my 1872.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

I mounted a tire on a Farmall H a while back that wasnt quite seated..... and we figured the same thing ahh drive it a bit and it will seat.... wrong! ended up taking it off again and a little bit of vegetable oil and it was all set.
You know i might take it to a good truck tire service center... they have a neat tool thats bascially a bottle of air with a large "duck beak" and a ball valve... they stick it into the opening and open the ball valve and HOLD ON! cause it wants to go through the roof! send a huge volume of air into the tire really quick to seat the beads.
dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I must be losing my mind...I don't think your response to my post showed up on my end the last time I looked.

I don't know...I was afraid to go much higher than about 40-45 psi. The only difference here is that you are using freshly-painted rims and I used rims with perfect original paint on the inside. New paint isn't very slippery until it cures well, so maybe that's part of the problem. They sure are a pain to get on, but it's nice to know you aren't going to knock one off after it's on there.

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

Sometimes ya just gotta take it to those who do it for a living. I remove the tires from the rims but have a tire shop do all my mounting. Spending a little extra :x is never fun but the time, frustration, and possible pain is worth it when all is said an done. Good luck.