982 roller

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

982 roller

Post by Jlaws »

Here's another .....Look what followed me home today story .
I've really cut back on my cub buying , I was up to a cub a month but now I'm down to one about every 6 months ....... :lol:
I bought this from another cub cadet collector member and it has the dual hydraulics and brakes .
I basically just needs to install an engine and grill both of which I have on the shelf and it'll be moving under its own power.
I haven't decided if I want to install a low hour 20 magnum or rebuild one of the 20 Onan parts engines I have sitting around.
It came with a drive shaft for a Onan engine , if I use the 20 magnum don't I need a slightly longer drive shaft ????
Decisions , decisions :?:
Attachments
Sscn3462.jpg
Sscn3464.jpg
Sscn3463.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Jlaws

Re: 982 roller

Post by Jlaws »

I got the 982 up and running . I decided to drop the 20 magnum into it and she runs nice.
I guess I'm going to have to by another Cat 0 hitch and see how the 20 mag pulls the 12" plow compared to the 19.9 H.P. Onan 982's I've used in the past . She's not the prettiest tractor , but she'll do till I decide to paint her.
A bath might help her looks a little ... :lol:
Attachments
Sscn3478.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

Jess, That's a good lookin 982, from the pic it looks like it doesn't need painting all that badly.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Tim , actually other than a few scratches and dull paint she's not that bad . The spot in the middle of the hood is actually cat paw prints ... :lol:
Seems the previous owner had a cat and I haven't gotten around to washing it off. I think a bath and a little wax and the paint should brighten up.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I'm really liking those tires! I'll end up getting some ags for my 982 sooner or later when I find a decent set.
Do the Kohlers have the torque the Onans do? I am not a motor guy and don't know the differences but my 982 with 19.9 Onan will pull the 60" deck through some really tall/thick grass like it's not even there. The 782 with Mag 18 really starts to dig deep on the governor to do the same thing. Still does it but sounds like it's struggling a lot more for a smaller deck and only 2hp difference. Never had a Mag 20 so just curious.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Jess- did you need a 1872/2072 drive shaft to put the Mag 20 in? I assume you just swapped in the Mag with the engine mount plate attached. How did you get around the ingition change from battery to magneto? I know on the old site there was posts and discussion of installing a relay.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Matt , I used what I think was a 1872 driveshaft.
There's been some debate as to the differences between the 982 and 1872 driveshafts. I have seen about 6 or 7 super driveshafts and the only difference I've seen between the 982 and 1872 driveshafts is the length of the turned down area on the engine end of the shaft. The hole centers from coupling to coupling is the same for both driveshafts , but the turn down area ( 3/4" to 5/8" ) is about 1/2 inch longer on the 1872 , which makes the 1872 driveshaft about 1/2 inch longer . The 982 turned down lenght on the engine end is about 7/8 of an inch while the turned down area on a 1872 driveshaft is about 1 3/8 inch . The area turned down on the rearend input end is the same on both and is about 7/8" . Clear as mud ?

Heres what I got courtesy of my buddy Rick Harris . ( Thank goodness he had the foresite to save this on his computer ), he's help me out of a few problems . :beer:

Below is what was originally posted on the old IH registry on converting from ignition coil ( Onan )to a magneto ignition ( Kohler Magnum ).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part number 725-1375, "relay" is an active Cub Cadet part used on many of the cyclops tractors and located near the voltage indicator on the battery tray

Relay for Mag Engine conversion.

I used an automotive relay that Travis had laying around his garage one day I was up there..a typical "here use this one" deal....it worked and was free, but I don't know where it came from, sorry.

Pins 85 and 86 are the low current switch loop, when current from the KT style ignition switch is applied, they close and in turn close the contacts on pins 30 and 87, the high current side of the relay....BUT 87 isn't used so they do nothing and the engine runs on the mag ignition. When current is removed from the low side of the relay, contacts 30 and 87 open, closing 30 and 87A (basically the high side toggles between 30/87 energized and 30/87A de-energized). So, if you ground 87A, when the current from the old KT style ignition switch is off, the relay opens and contacts 30 and 87A close on the "back-side" grounding out the mag and killing the engine.

Find a relay with continuity between 30 and 87A with no wires hooked up to it and you should be in the clear.

Caution!!!!!! Test the system with a test light or meter BEFORE hooking the mag to the relay (pin 30). No need to ruin a +$50 mag bacause something isn't wired right, and I'm told mags don't like 12v applied to the kill wire under certain situations.

According to Todd Markle, The NAPA # is AR204
Attachments
Mag18%20into%20a%20782.jpg

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Thanks Jess thats excatly what I was looking for. I am not sure exactly what I am going to do yet on my 982. Orgianal Onan does run, but I hear what seams to be noise in the valve lifters, uses some oil (not much) and leaks oil fierce from every seal it seems, so after 30 years its just tired. We all know the expense of a rebuild on one of these can be. I have been thinking about repowering with a Command engine if I can find a donor cyclops to grap all the needed parts, of even a Briggs Vangard engine. There is a Vangard kit for the 682/782, so I figured with the correct mounting plate and PTO clutch it would be a fairly easy swap. I guess I need to investigate the 19.9 a little more first and decide.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Jess..that is a no brainer...KOHLER....
I have 3 other brands with Onans and can't wait to part company because of the rediculous prices for parts.

Mountain Heritage
First and Last Name: Mike Patterson

Post by Mountain Heritage »

You got some sweet tires on that roller! Nice score. Don't happent to have another dash plastic laying around on your shelf that says "International Cub Cadet" on it?? I need one for my 782.....but I am NOT taking it off my 982. They are great tractors. Must be nice to have accumulated parts on a shelf to fix things up with. :beer: I need an upper grill for around the lights on the 782 as well..... keep on search'n!

You ever deal with Jacks Small Engines for Onan parts? They are in Maryland area. Their prices are good....just not sure what they are like? I am thinking I need to replace my govenor arm, spring, etc on my Onan....doing A LOT of surging now and again. Gets annoying!
Now everyone wants a red Cub!

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Matt ,
I've got a Onan power 982 that has some noise in the valves and also uses a little oil . Not alot but the engine is getting a little tired . And it is getting expensive and also hard to locate parts for the Onan's . I do have a P220 that I'm gathering parts for a rebuild . I've had people call them Blonans , but I've found if you keep oil in them and do proper maintance , there a pretty durable engine.

Mike ,
I don't have an extra plastic IH dash plate , or headlight panel . I do buy spare 82 series parts when I can find them reasonable , hoods , sidepanel , grills , hood spears ,IH grill emblems ,etc.
Because it always seems to be items broken or missing when I buy one .
I haven't dealt with Jacks small engines , but I have bought parts from Tulsa engine warehouse .
I also had a surging problem with one of my Onan powered 982's and it didn't do it all the time , but when it did it made you sea sick when riding it...LOL
I tried adjusting the governor and carb. That didn't fix the problem so I tried changing the carb and that did fix it .

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Jess

Maybe a leak on the intake?
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

toyman
First and Last Name: Thom T

Post by toyman »

I've bought from Jacks for my 982. Prices are reasonable but shipping isn't the fastest. Not bad, but don't expect in a day or two. My 982 was surging early last year also and it turned out to be a leaky intake gasket. I sprayed carb cleaner while the engine was running and located the general area. Once I removed the manifold it was obvious where the leak came from. It could also be the manifold itself, which you can split, clean well, and use rtv for the gasket. I can't remember the forum I read up on that, but it's around.
Cub Cadet 70, 1862, and 982SGT, 442 PTO tiller, Ruegg 3 point hitch, 450 Snowblower, and 44" & 50" Decks.