Hard starting 682

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Hard starting 682

Post by OhioBinder »

Our township of which I'm one of the trustee's bought a 682 brand new and shortly thereafter contracted out the mowing of the cemetaries. So we still have it and just use it to mow the little lot aroung the township house. It now has something like 165 hours on it, probably has never been rained on, and has been kept in a dry dark buiding.
It also is the hardest starting tractor I've ever had. None of us seems to ever find the correct combination of choke and trottle for this beast. Tune up didn't help. One time you get on it and all the stars and moon are lined up and it fires immedialty :o . And the next you're putting on the charger cause you ran it dead trying :x . Can't really tell if flooded or starved.
Now granted it does usually have old gas in it with the little use it gets 15 minutes tops per cutting, a tank of gas lasts almost the season.
Anybody have any sugestions?
Thanks David
David Gregg
NW oIHo

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Hard starting 682

Post by ksanders »

Points out of adjustment
One cylinder not firing (that can be deceptive because it's hard to start but will run)
Hydro too restrictive or it isn't turning over fast enough to fire like it needs to.
Weak fuel pump (if it sets a while before each starting this may be it because they don't always pump back up quick when dry)

Just a few suggestions. An x82 should start when you pull the choke out within a few seconds. I'd start by putting a little gas down the carb and seeing if it fires. That would narrow it to a fuel pump taking a minute to pump up or being weak. I'm sure others have some ideas too.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

AJGross
First and Last Name: AJ Gross

Post by AJGross »

I have a mag18 engine that is a real bear to start also. Usually I end up using starting fluid to get it going until the fuel pump gets primed. You might try doing that to get it going.

AJ

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Like Kevin said those engines should start very easily with the proper tune up, good fuel, and a good battery. I suspect alot of your problem is the fuel sitting so long. Today's fuel doesn't last very long. I would recommend draining the tank, refilling with fresh fuel and using something like Stabil in the fuel to help preserve it. The carb may also need a good cleaning due to old fuel gumming up. I bet that's a nice looking 682 having so few hours on it.
Adrian

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

David - If it will run halfway decent once it gets started, I would start by adding MMO and Stabil to every gas can when you buy gas for it. You want to get the Stabil in as soon as you pump the gas to slow the degradation immediately. Also, since it sits, don't keep any gas stored for it; bring fresh gas with the MMO/Stabil in it every time you refuel.

I have been adding the MMO and Stabil for all of my equipment, and the stuff that sits (even two cycle stuff, chainsaws) start right up. Next, I would find a way to use that thing for a longer period of time every now and then (at least a good 30 minutes of working it). Engines need to get good and hot to blow out the bad stuff and keep them clean. Running it more will also cycle the gas through more quickly.

Perhaps there is a neighbors lawn that can be mowed occasionally, or a parade that it can be driven in to use it more.

Most gas everywhere has 10% alcohol in it which tends to beat up on rubber in the fuel system (float needle, fuel pump, etc.). The alcohol is also drier and does not have the lubricating qualities of gasoline. The MMO will help restore the lost lubrication and may keep things like floats from sticking and has been reported by many to reduce the carbon build up.

The Stabil will help keep that fuel usable for longer. The MMO and Stabil may also clean the carb up nice if nothing has become plugged and the gas is still flowing.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The prescribed starting procedure (which I think is outlined in the owners manual) for the Kohler flat twins (KTs and Magnums) is throttle at half and choke at
full till it starts. Check to make sure the choke cable is adjusted so it closes completely. Sometimes the cables get sticky and you can't pull hard enough to make the choke plate fully close.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

I only have one Mag running at this time, but it starts with just a touch of the key. BUT if I dont choke it, when cold and have the fuel at at least 1/3 open, hard to start.

I would not recomond using starting fluid on any eng.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

vince_o wrote:I would not recomond using starting fluid on any eng.
I second that! I have a piston out of a 149 that someone used starting fluid on. Half the skirt is broke off.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

I have seen starting fluid bend rods and crack the main bearing webs in motors before. Small motors should never be started with Starting fluid.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

bperegrine
First and Last Name: Brian Peregrine

Post by bperegrine »

I had a 682 that was hard to start last season. I did everything from overhaul the carb, plugs points etc. I ended up replacing the coil and wires and it was curred. The coil and wires on mine were one item like the wires were not meant to be removed. Anyway after it was replaced it started like a new one, most of the time with little or no choke.

OhioBinder

Post by OhioBinder »

Thanks to all who responded. A lot of good ideas.
Not much we can do about it sitting and so little use, just don't have enough yard for it at the Township building.
It does run great once it is started.
I will check out some things this week and let you know the results.
And it is a nice looking original. I need to get a picture of the dealer decal for Geezer sometime.

thanks David
David Gregg
NW oIHo

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Hey Dave

You could give it to me and Ill solve that sitting problem :lol: Ill sit on it and it will work! :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

OhioBinder

Post by OhioBinder »

I'd like to own it as well. But since it belongs to the township and I'm an elected Township Trustee it probably wouldn't look good if it appeared in my shed. :shock: And this is an election year for me. :P
David Gregg
NW oIHo

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

You can get a re-election sign with wheels and drive it around the township(give free grass cutting) and you will get hours onit and get re-elected plus have a lot of grass to cut for 4 years after your re-elected :o