K161 HELP!

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Kelpie
First and Last Name: Russell McClure

K161 HELP!

Post by Kelpie »

Well, here I am putting my K161 back together with a new 0.10 over piston and standard rod, and the piston is 0.09 ABOVE the top of the block at TDC. What's up? I know that the machinist didn't remove any material from the top of the block, so I know that's not the problem. The parts are genuine Kohler parts from a vendor on this site, so I know that they are real Kohler parts.

The piston part number is 41-874-07-S

The Rod number is B-230039-S

Don't know what to do now.....
Give a snake a brake
1964 Model 70 Dad bought new, creeper, 38" mower deck, fenders, lights, Brinley lift assist and sleeve hitch. Brinley plow.

jchabot
First and Last Name: Jim Chabot

Re: K161 HELP!

Post by jchabot »

Not sure if you posted the correct numbers to describe your problem. The oversized piston should be .010 rather than .10 . If your piston is actually sticking up .009 or 9 thousands then you should be ok, as the head gasket is a lot thicker than that. However if your number is correct (.090) then yeah something is really wrong. I would start by comparing the old piston and rod for length using a couple of steel dowels, .090 should be easy to find.
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I checked, and the piston is fine but the rod is too long. Should I have it sent back to Kohler?

Thanks,
Give a snake a brake
1964 Model 70 Dad bought new, creeper, 38" mower deck, fenders, lights, Brinley lift assist and sleeve hitch. Brinley plow.

jchabot

Post by jchabot »

Yes, it sounds like you have the wrong rod somehow. There were two series of K-161's, the older ones have a 2.785 bore and the newer ones have a 2.938 bore, while both have a 2.500 stroke, so I would guess that the rods are the same.

Just guessing here, but have you checked the stroke? The K-181 has the same bore with a 2.750 stroke, this would place the piston 0.125" above where it would be with a 2.500 stroke. I don't know for sure that the k-181 rod is shorter, or if they use a piston with a different pin height. I would check the stroke, just to cover your bases.
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

Now I feel like a dope... I stopped by a mower place here in town which specializes in Kohler, and they determined that since this engine is a short block, that Kohler stopped making the K161 and if someone ordered a short block, they actually got a K181. Well, that's what I have, but didn't know it. I ended up getting the crank turned to 0.010 under, since it was close to being out of spec and put in a K181 0.010 under rod, and everything is right with the world now.

If anyone knows someone who needs a K161 standard rod, I now have one for sale.....
Give a snake a brake

jchabot

Post by jchabot »

Don't beat yourself up too bad. The replacement short blocks came with a new data plate that should have been installed in place of the old one.

Samuel Clemmons