It's time to try the solid motor mounts on a QL.

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Grant
First and Last Name: Grant Braddish

It's time to try the solid motor mounts on a QL.

Post by Grant »

I'm ready to replace a 10 year old pair of ISO motor mounts on my QL and have to say that I think it's time to go to solid mounts. This is my go to machine and I'm not too satisfied with the 10 year lifespan of the rubber mounts. No, I didn't do the rail upgrade at the time (didn't know about it) but since the solids have a money back guarantee, I think it's worth the risk. I just hope my Kohler doesn't want to blow up after a few dozen hours of being bolted to the frame!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: It's time to try the solid motor mounts on a QL.

Post by BigMike »

Grant,I have done the front and rear ISO upgrade on a 1250 and my 1450 and would never even consider solid mounts.The 1450 runs a smooth as any Cub I have.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Thanks for the input, Mike. The rail bracing with ISO mounts will be the next step if the solid mounts are just bone jarring! :shock:

Grant

Post by Grant »

Installed the solid mounts on the rails without pulling the engine, but I now realize I'm missing a few engine mounting bolts! :shock: Can someone tell me the proper size bolt between the rail and the engine?

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Rail to oil pan is 3/8-16 I believe
1" or 1-1/4" should be long enough.
Last edited by BigMike on Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Big Mike, you probably meant 3/8-16 for standard coarse thread.

Grant - To be sure, look it up at one of these sites: http://www.partstree.com or http://www.messicks.com. There are others out there, but these are just the ones I like.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Post by dale campbell »

i think 3/4" or 1" is plenty long if you go too long they will break through the oil pan and it will leak oil also the threads sometimes are stripped out in the oil pan so you may end up pulling the engine and using helicoils to fix the threads or replace the oil pan dale c.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

They are 1" long, and don't forget the lock washers.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Tom,you are so right :lol:
I seem to have trouble remembering the simplest things lately.

AJGross
First and Last Name: AJ Gross

Post by AJGross »

I'm really curious to see how these solid mounts work. I hear everyone saying they wouldn't use them, but I really don't see how it would be any different than any other cubs. They solid mounted the engines before the QL's and they went back to the solid mounted engines after the QL's. How is this any different?

AJ

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

I too would like to see how they hold up. There was a guy that would bring his 1450 in to the shop for us to work on and when I hit the starter it looked like the eng was going to come out of the frame!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

AJ ,
My loader tractor is a 1450 and I did the cradle upgrade and went to solid mounts and don't regret it.

Now if it was a 800 or 1000 I'd probably would have gone back with rubber isomounts , but it seems to me that the 1450's and 1650's are harder on isomounts , I know they do shake more especially at the mid throttle position :lol:

Besides with the engine mounted on rubber isomounts , I was having problems keeping the proper belt tension on my loader pump that was mounted solid on the frame .

After I put the solid mount in I'd compare the 1450 to my 169 for vibration . Its alot better than it was .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

I put a aqs 12hp out of a 1250 QL in a 149 and solid mounted it. I raised it high enough to see the timing hole just above the top of the
frame. I ran it around the property and 3 -4 days at the Flywheelers Show, but never worked it. No problems at all, but don't know what the situation would be had I worked it. It's jacked up waiting for my interest in it to take it all apart for prepping it for painting and other cosmetic stuff.

dday2613
First and Last Name: Damon Johnson

Post by dday2613 »

Just my 2 cents but when I rebuilt the engine in my 1450 I decided to go with the solid mounts (40 buck kit off ebay). Ran it for 1 day and pulled her back in the garage and pulled the engine and put new ISO mounts in it. I didn't do the frame rail upgrade either (probably should have but don't have welder). I guess what it comes down to is this: the solid mounts nearly shook the fillings out of my teeth, with good ISO mounts it is so smooth that the steering wheel barely vibrates. I would never thought it would make that much of a difference but somehow it does on those damn QL's. Go figure...........

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I think the reason that solid-mounting a QL engine is because even if it is solid-mounted, it is less rigid than the solid mounting in the 1x8/9 and earlier tractors, in which the engine bolts directly to the frame. In the QL tractors, the engine bolts to a set of steel plates and then to the frame, which is not as rigid, allowing the engine's vibration to be more pronounced.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I could see where if you didn't do the cradle upgrade and went with solid mounts there could be some increase in vibration . The whole ideal of the cradle upgrade is to give the engine a more stable mounting platform .

As for the rubber isomounts , its been posted before that they come in different hardnesses depending on which manufacturer kit you buy .
I'm sure that the vibration amount also changes depending on how much or little you tighten the isomounts down .

I guess it boils down to your personal preference as to rather you iso or solid mount your QL engine .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Grant

Post by Grant »

Does anyone have the eye-to-eye measurement for the oil pan bolts to do the cradle upgrade? I want to compare that side by side with the solid mounts.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I've been using the 1250 with the solid mounts for several weeks now and thought I would 'report back'. So far, so good. The tractor doesn't feel any more rough than it did and it doesn't feel any shakier than my 1450 with ISO mounts (no cradle upgrade). When I am at WOT it hums. No foot numbness, rattling fillings, etc. like I was warned of. I really like them so far. Good price, easy install (didn't have to remove the engine), seems to work.

I did have a local shop weld up the cradle upgrade with the 8 1/2" measurements in the second photo from this page - http://cubfaq.com/isomount.html I don't have a spare oil pan to bolt into it, so I'm still looking for the eye-to-eye measurement as I see other measurements that recommend 8 3/4" spread.