Original 1961 Cub Cadet fender option

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
genep
First and Last Name: Gene Preston

Original 1961 Cub Cadet fender option

Post by genep »

Here's one for you ORIGINAL CUB CADET experts. I was recently told that the 1961 Originals never had factory fenders on them because they were not offered as an option until 1962. I find this hard to believe because my 1961 Original only had one owner before me and he said it always had fenders. Anybody know for sure? :shock:

jchabot
First and Last Name: Jim Chabot

Re: Original 1961 Cub Cadet fender option

Post by jchabot »

My recollection is that no round fenders were installed at the factory. They were available as a dealer installed option. I'm not sure when they were made available though.

Even if they were not available right from the getgo, they could have been installed by dealers on unsold models still in inventory
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

A 1961 Cub Cadet (Original) Price List (CR-1277-L. 1-15, the "L" being the letter code for 1961) list Fenders for an additional $17.95 over the FOB price of the tractor, which was $548.00 for one with recoil start, or $619.00 for electric start. It does not identify them as being factory installed. A 3 point hitch was $10.00 and 2 rear wheel weights were $9.00............just a bit cheaper than today's prices for the same.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

genep
First and Last Name: Gene Preston

Post by genep »

Wow. Great replies from two CC experts, Jim and Paul. I think that sums it up pretty good. Thanks guys.

jchabot
First and Last Name: Jim Chabot

Post by jchabot »

Good to hear that the purchase of an Original Cub Cadet in 1961 would prove to be a good investment. How often can you buy something, use it for 50 years and then sell it for what you paid for it.
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons