982 info

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

982 info

Post by ksanders »

An inquiring mind has a few questions here. What's the maximum forward speed for the 982 and did IH make a pressed 60" deck for it like the 50" or is the belly mower the only 60" deck you can get?
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Re: 982 info

Post by rweaver »

the 982 mower decks include 50 and the haban 60 in decks no cub cadet never offers a stamped 60 in deck dont know speed of a 982

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

I have a 82 series sales brochure that ststes the max speed for the 982 is up to 7.5 mph forward, 3.75 mph reverse.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks, that answers a lot for me. It's interesting, I was expecting it to be considerably quicker than a 682/782 given the bigger tires. I was thinking about going slightly bigger and more powerful for cutting grass next year (not that I need to), but the 982 doesn't sound too much better than a 782 as far as just cutting grass... unless you have a haban 60".
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The Supers (including the 982) had different reduction gears to compensate for the taller tires. If you put a regular GT rear in it it will be faster.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Well here is what sparked my curiosity. After a little trip today this followed me home. It has this power steering/ steering-assist on it. Any ideas what it is?
And rest assured Todd, your info on the rear end gears will result in an earlier cast-iron rear being installed to increase speed as much as I can. I'm guessing that will work?
Attachments
982 pics 001.jpg
982 pics 002.jpg

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

That add-on power steering is a very rare attachment. I have only ever seen one other one and it was for sale on ebay.

To put the standard GT rear in you will have to do a little mix & match to make it all work. I would start with an external brake unit and use all the 982 brake parts on it. You will need the GT pump (ported) and the whole works because the output shaft on the pump is one of the gears that is different.
If you get one from a QL or 82 series the Super driveshaft should mate to the GT rear coupler. You will need it too because the Supers had a splined input shaft on the pump, so you can't use the one from the 982. If you wanted to keep the splined setup, you can swap the pump input shaft, but that requires tearing the pump apart.

Keep in mind that the faster speed will be at the expense of pulling power.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Todd

At plow day last weekend I got a good taste of what your talking about. One of the guys had a 482, modified of coures, and 26 12 12 on it. Man that thing was fast!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

You will probably not notice the .5mph ground speed difference between the super and regular gt. Unless there is a problem with the current rear end, swapping it would be alot of unnecessary work in my opinion. Mowing with a SGT is a dream in my opinion also as the longer wheelbase and larger tires help smooth the ride considerably.

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Figured i'd try uploading a pic on the new forum for the first time while

Just picked this one up right before the crash. Came from its original home, and was only about 20 minutes from me. No power steering on this one. Thinking about adding later syle ps to this 982 and gain front outets in the process too :D
08-02-10_2023.jpg

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Well, I want to change it to a cast rear-end regardless, but didn't realize the pumps weren't directly interchangable. Is .5 mph all that can be gained like that? I feel like my 782 is faster than the 982 right now even without the bigger tires. If I found a whole rear with a ported pump, I don't see why I'd need to keep the splined shaft. It's just going to cut grass anyhow for the most part. It's a project no doubt. I'm just learning what I can here before jumping in blind.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Kevin,
You may want to check the engine RPMs on the 982. The Onans are known to have governor problems. If it isn't turning 3600 rpms at full throttle that may be why it seems slow.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

It revs up pretty good. I'm limited right now and have to kind of hold off on any work to it. A PO cobbled a 25hp Onan motor in there and the driveshaft is welded and angles up just to fit and hydro lines run around the driveshaft and wherever they can. I'm in the process of selling the Onan and looking for something that will fit and work right before tearing up the transmission parts at the end of the driveshaft. And while the motor's out, might as well paint... :D

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Well, I got a 1450 rear end. I need to get different axles since this one didn't have external brakes, but that's nothing. This gave me a cast rear end, standard gearing, and ported pump all in one without any mis-matching. Are there any issues with just using the whole rear? I know no splined shaft, but that's about it.
Got a Mag 18 as well, so the plan is coming together.

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

If you use super wheels/tires I think the ground speed will be faster at the expense of less power to the wheels.
Adrian

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Kevin,
If the 982 has an aluminum rear you can swap the carrier and axle from it into the CI rear. Then the brake rotors will match the calipers and you will have the strongest combination of parts. The brake rotors and brackets are different from a CI to an aluminum rear. If you get axles from an external brake CI rear, get the calipers and brackets too. You will probably have to leave the brake arm for the internal brake in place. It would make for a neater job to find an external brake rear and use it instead.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks Todd. I'm guessing the fine spline axles and carrier have an identical ratio to those in a cast iron rear and are NOT a part of the reduction for bigger tires? I'm really gonna know some new things by the time I'm done with this.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Yes that is correct.