Help w/782D and 46GT deck

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Help w/782D and 46GT deck

Post by stevet »

I'm putting a 46" GT deck on my 782 D, and things aren't lining up right. The deck, carrier and mule drive all seem to be lined up correctly. When I go to put the belt on, it's rubbing on the deck carrier. I tried to get a good picture of that. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong that's simple, but just can't figure it out. Any help....please!!
Attachments
deck 1.jpg
deck 2.jpg
deck 3.jpg
deck 4.jpg
deck 5.jpg

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Re: Help w/782D and 46GT deck

Post by red82s »

Can the belt go under the bolt/shaft piece that its riding/rubbing on? Do you have an unadjustable lift link on both sides? You'll need at least one so you can level it.
Adrian

stevet

Post by stevet »

The belt does go underneath, but then it rubs on the eye bolt that attaches the front of the mower deck to the carriage. It definitely fit better that way, but was still rubbing.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Steve

Im thinking that one of the problems I had with my gt deck on the 582.

I think Matt G put one on his 782
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

stevet

Post by stevet »

I'm hoping Matt chimes in here, because I think he did!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

It definetly has to go underneath that bar.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ok Todd, thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I have to figure out how to keep it from rubbing against the eye bolt where the deck mounts to the carriage. It doesn't touch a lot, but enough to wear the belt I'm sure.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Steve
post a couple pics of where it is rubbing the eyelets.

I'm also wondering about the mule drive. I see it is white so it may not be for the 46 deck? I'm not sure but maybe the 46 deck needs one with the idlers straight
instead of angled like the 44 and 50 decks do?

I used to do a lot of mowing with a 46 gt deck and as I recall the belt did rub a few places when it was running but should have a little clearence everywhere when it is static. Just like the 44 and 50 decks leave a black mark on top near the eye bolts.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

stevet

Post by stevet »

Todd, I'll do that when I get home this evening. This work thing is getting in the way on such a nice day!!

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ok, after some trial and error, finally mowed grass today!! The belt has to run under the deck carrier, and after tensioning the belt, barely rubs along the left eye bolt. Doesn't appear to be enough to really damage the belt a whole lot, so we'll see how it goes. While I'm thinking of it, does anyone have a manual for these decks, and if so, where do the guage wheels get set for the different mowing heights? Thanks in advance!

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Steve

If im thinking right these decks are floating decks. Meaning the wheels are used so the deck dosnt scalp the grass, and not to be run on the ground all the time. . In the mower shop Frank had me set them, Im thinking some where between 1/4 and 1/2 below the deck. I think thats how I did them.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

stevet

Post by stevet »

Vince, I'm pretty sure you're right, but usually there is a set hole that you use depending on the height of the grass. Once I figure out my grass height, I'm going to put the wheels about 1/2" above the ground. I think that should work ok. Thanks for the info and we'll see what happens. I'm just glad I'm mowing!!!

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Glad to see you got it figured out...I was traveling between FL and IL on Saturday and Sunday, and then we had some bad storms last night that knocked out the power for about 20 hours, so this is the first chance I've had to get on the internet.

If you want some pics of part of mine, let me know...
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

stevet

Post by stevet »

Matt, thanks! If my pics look like it's supposed to, then I should be good. My belt is runing underneath the carriage, and rubs on the eye bolt, but just a little bit. Is yours basically the same way? Glad you were able to make it home safely!!