Not Charging

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
adrenalineman
First and Last Name: Philip Rockey

Not Charging

Post by adrenalineman »

Can some one please help me? I have a cc model 70 with an 8hp kohler i think(there are no numbers on the motor). I got wiring diagrams off the internet. The voltage regulator on right now has grd. on top and bat. , gen. and f on the bottom. The diagram i have is different with G on top L , B and F on bottom. Did they change the voltage regulator or is this the wrong one. The ohms across A and F on the generator are 9-8.7 i read that was good. Can someone please help me i am not a very good elecrician i am a machinist so some help would be appreciated.

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Re: Not Charging

Post by Amigatec »

There are at least 3 different types I know of.

Type 1 has the G, F, and B on the front and the Grd on the back.
Type 2 has the L, F, and B on the front and the G on the back
Type 3 has the L, F, and B on the front and the G on the bottom.

G=Generator
F=Field
L=Load
B=Battery
Grd=Ground

The one I am using is Type 2.

Here is type 1. This is the one that was orginally installed on my 129.

Here is Type 2 and the one I am using, notice the L term is not used. Notice that the back term is on the left side instead of the right side.

Here is Type 3.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im asking the same question in the 129 wiring help.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Wire it like Type 2 and it will work.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

adrenalineman

Post by adrenalineman »

So what do i do with the ignition switch? Do i just attach it to positive terminal on the battery? The original diagram shows it going to the L on the voltage regulator.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

adrenalineman wrote:So what do i do with the ignition switch? Do i just attach it to positive terminal on the battery? The original diagram shows it going to the L on the voltage regulator.
If you have 12 Vols on the "B" terminal with the key on you can put it on "B". If no voltage on "B" you have to hook it some where that has 12 volts present all the time like the hot side of the starter switch.

adrenalineman

Post by adrenalineman »

Ok, got it all wired up started it and still not charging. 12.3 volts at battery and 10.4 volts at F on voltage gegulator when running. Can some help me and tell me what to do next.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

When it's running about 1/2 throttle ground the field and that should make it charge full amount if the Generator part is putting out. You should hear the engine rpms drop from the load. If it don't your generator section is bad(usually the field coil). Now with it running disconnect the + battery terminal and if it dies it's the VR.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Unhook the wire from the F terminal on the Gen. Take a jumper wire from that terminal to a good ground. If it doesn't charge, there is something wrong with the generator. If it does charge, the problem is with the regulator or the wiring.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

adrenalineman

Post by adrenalineman »

Grounded F and the rpms changed so i will order a new voltage regulator and hopefully that works.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

If you disconnect the + battery cable and it dies it's defiantly the VR. if it keeps running your VR isn't putting out enough voltage(about 13.5 volts). In the repair manual they have instructions on setting them. On my Original I replaced the amp meter with a "Volt" meter and when I turn the key on I see the battery voltage before I start it and it takes a while before I show 13.5 volts in the battery.

adrenalineman

Post by adrenalineman »

I hope some one will learn from my mistakes and read this. Got my voltage regulator today from tractorpartsinc.com, 35 bucks. Probably my first mistake. It was a little different. Like type 2 pictures above, F, B, L and ground on back. Put ground on grill, F to F on generator BAT to battery and left L empty. Held my breath and started it up. Checked voltage on F , BAT and L and all were 12.3, still not charging. After about 2 minutes the sound changed and now no voltage in F and i noticed the generator was very very hot so turned it off. After about 15 minutes i started it back up in frustrstion to put it away and when i turned it off i noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the rear of the generator. So now i assume i fried the generator. If i did what stupid mistake did i make and what should i do now. One bright spot i got the lights wired and working but with no charging they are not of much use. I did ground the F on the VR and it didn't kick down which i expected and i took the positive off the battery and it still ran. So now i am back at square one. Did i also fry the VR again. I am ready to give up.

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Philip, if you look at the discussion below, I'm guessing you'll find that terminal on the back that you grounded was for the generator connection? You can also look herehttp://www.cubcadetman.com/content/inde ... ut=default for some additional information.

adrenalineman

Post by adrenalineman »

Thank you for the link and all the info. Through the magic of ebay i now have a cub cadet that is charging(a new generator). I just have one last question. The generator i got has bronze bushings and the old one was bearings. So what kind of oil do i put in the hole and how much and how often do i do it. I have had it 15 years and now that it is charging it sounds different, it sound better and runs better. Thank You :beer:

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Are you sure it has the bronze bushings :?: Most times when they are rebuilt they change to the bearings. I use what ever oil I have in my oil can(a couple of drops) every couple of months.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

bump so I can find this thread again
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

chearn
First and Last Name: Carl Hearn

Post by chearn »

Hey chumlee, is that a nascar bump?
"Told her you were leaving - to go tractor pulling" - Unsmooth Moments!