782 not charging.

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
rharris
First and Last Name: Rick Harris

782 not charging.

Post by rharris »

I finally pulled the engine out of my 782 in an attempt to figure out why it wasn't charging. I tried the easy stuff first like the regulator. When I swapped the voltage regulator, I found it was bolted in upside down with all of the terminals grounded against the fan housing, so at this point, I assumed the stator was fried.

well....guess not. I've heard of this happening but I've never seen it myself. Fortunately, BB had hidden a KT17 flywheel in the back of my truck during one of my visits. Just never know when this stuff is going to be useful.
100_1306.JPG
100_1307.JPG
Building my Cub Cadet fleet....one bolt at a time.

rharris

Re: 782 not charging.

Post by rharris »

It just dawned on me that some Cubbers may not be used to seeing that end of a KT17. What you're looking at is the magnets came off of the flywheel and were stuck to the stator. ..and no, this is not the tractor in my avatar.

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Wow, I've never seen that happen before. I couldn't tell what was wrong.
Adrian

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I've seen a couple of magnets come off, but never all of them. You can probably epoxy those back into the flywheel if you keep them in the correct order and orientation.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

rharris

Post by rharris »

Matt, I did consider gluing the magnets back into the flywheel. The fit on the end of the crank wasn't snug which leads me to believe that the flywheel may have come from a single cylinder. I may have to check the part numbers.

AJGross
First and Last Name: AJ Gross

Post by AJGross »

Rick I know I have seen that at least 3 times. I glued my magnets back on with jb weld. I figure it has to be at least as strong as the glue kohler used. I think I only have 2 flywheels where the magnets didn't fall off. If you glue them back on, just make sure that that every magnet is attracted to the one next to it. That way they are in the correct order.

AJ