Deck Hanger - HELP!

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Kelpie
First and Last Name: Russell McClure

Deck Hanger - HELP!

Post by Kelpie »

Hello,

I am trying to install a deck hanger for my Cub Cadet 70 and the lift mechanism will not work. When I connect it, the deck will not lift all the way before binding. It looks like the piece that attaches the hanger to the lift rod is incorrect. Here are some pictures that should help explain what is going on.

Looks like I have the wrong piece or something.
Attachments
Deck Hanger 1.JPG
Deck Hanger 2.JPG
Deck Hanger 3.JPG
Give a snake a brake
1964 Model 70 Dad bought new, creeper, 38" mower deck, fenders, lights, Brinley lift assist and sleeve hitch. Brinley plow.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Re: Deck Hanger - HELP!

Post by vince_o »

Something dosnt loo right there for sure.

Are you useing the pin on deck or quick atach deck?

How about the mule drive, is it the right one for the type of deck your useing?
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

There are short and long links available for the deck hangers and I think you need the short hangers (#8);
I had that problem when I used the sub-frame above with the long hangers. The short ones don't lift very high on my Original with the CI deck.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Looks like a wide frame mule drive.

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I'm not sure about the mule drive. Picked it up at Portland this spring. The guy said it was for a narrow frame and that it was for the newer quick attach deck. I'll get a picture of the mule drive and post it.

The mule drive is the one in this picture, but the thing that attaches to the lift bar has a wide metal piece instead of a round bar.
Cub Cadet Mower Deck Ver 1 8.jpg
Also, I found this picture of a mule drive for a 70/100. Is this the mule drive I need?
70 100 Mule Drive.JPG
Give a snake a brake
1964 Model 70 Dad bought new, creeper, 38" mower deck, fenders, lights, Brinley lift assist and sleeve hitch. Brinley plow.

LEVI
First and Last Name: Levi Day

Post by LEVI »

That mule drive is correct.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

The 2 mule drives posted are fine... one is a QA and the other is a bolt on... the QA is backwards compatable IE it will bolt onto a 70/100 102 etc... and the bolt on one is forward compatable ie it will bolt on a 125 124 etc...
I think you have an issue with the undercarriage....It could be a wide frame undercarriage.. getting decks to fit different tractors it a bit of a 1 part from column A one part from column B one part from column C!
dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

You didn't say what deck you are trying to install, so I don't think we are all singing from the same song book. I also don't know what you mean by "but the thing that attaches to the lift bar has a wide metal piece instead of a round bar".
The first picture is of a deck that was used on the 70/100.
2nd picture is a sub-frame to use that deck on a 70/100
3rd and 4th pictures are of the sub-frame and 70/100 mule drive. The red box shows a PO mod to repair the part that fits over the cross bar on the tractor frame. The green box shows the pins that the eye bolts on the front of the deck fit on.
Attachments
MVC-844S.JPG
MVC-840S.JPG
MVC-841S.JPG
MVC-842S=1.JPG
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

What Paul is showing you is what I was talking about. The pin on deck what most 70 100 have. now i ran the QA on my 100, but used the mule drive that paul shows, with the sub frame from the QA.
-Andrew Jackson

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I'll have to get some more pictures of what I have. The deck is a 48 inch that I was told was a 42 inch (next time I will measure it) and would work. The subframe and mule drive is for a QA that I was told would work. Looks like my set up is wrong. I'll post pictures of the mule drive, undercarriage and deck tonight. The part I have with the flat steel piece instead of the round "rod" is the piece that is highlighted with the red and green squares in one of the above photos.

I'm to the point of trading what I have now for the proper mule drive, carriage and pin on deck for the 70/100 and be done with it. Anyone have a 70/100 setup like in the above photos they don't need and could use a 48" QA setup?
Give a snake a brake

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Kelpie,
I don't need or want the deck and sub-frame, and mule drive I posted the pictures of.........but I also don't want or need your 48" QA setup either.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Paul

You got a goat? :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

Maybe I should get a goat and forget the mower deck.

Anyway,

Here are pictures of what I have after sandblasting and painting:

Mower deck:
Mower Deck 1~1.JPG
Deck hanger hardware:
Deck Hanger Parts 1~1.JPG
Mule drive on tractor:
Smokey mule drive 1~1.JPG
After thinking about it, I really don't want a 48" deck. Id rather have a 38 or 42 inch. That being said, would the 70/100 mule drive work with the rest of the parts?
Give a snake a brake

lrhredjb
First and Last Name: Larry Hess

Post by lrhredjb »

[quote=
I'm to the point of trading what I have now for the proper mule drive, carriage and pin on deck for the 70/100 and be done with it. Anyone have a 70/100 setup like in the above photos they don't need and could use a 48" QA setup?[/quote]

Kelpie, I have a 106 with the QA frame and 42" deck. If I can take any pictures that might help you or if you are in the area stop by if you think it might help to look at my setup.
Larry

l palma

Post by l palma »

Maybe some sheep? better than deer

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

Kelpie, I have a 106 with the QA frame and 42" deck. If I can take any pictures that might help you or if you are in the area stop by if you think it might help to look at my setup.
Larry[/quote]

Larry,

I would appreciate any pictures you could post or send my way. This is driving me nuts, which is going to be a short trip.
Give a snake a brake

l palma

Post by l palma »

The mule drive undercarriage you show is from a wide frame.
It has a different set of bends on it that won't let it work on a 70 -123
Looks like you need the one that is pictured in the manual you posted earlier.

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

So the mule drive AND the hanger frame are for a wide frame? The guy I got them from is a dealer in Cub stuff and should have known better. Looks like I'm hosed...
Give a snake a brake

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

The mule drive pictured on the 70 you posted is not for a wide frame. It is for a narrow frame with quick attach such as a 104, 124, 125, 106, 126,127, etc. A wide frame mule drive is too wide to bolt to a narrow frame tractor without modifying it. The sub-frame you posted may, or may not be correct for the deck you have. The deck is for a later model tractor than the 70/100. That is not to say you cannot make it work on your 70, but it is going to take some parts swaping to do so. As Dave said, one piece from column A, a couple from column B etc., but it is rather hard to do that if you don't have some extra decks/sub-frame/mule drives to pick thru to find the pieces you need to make it work.

If you want to drive to Louisville to get it, I'll give you the deck, sub-frame, and mule drive I posted pictures of. They came with a 100 I bought and I have never used them, so I don't know the condition of the pulleys or spindles.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Russel
I don't think you got hosed at all!
The deck is indeed a 42" cut, they are measured in the width of cut not the overall deck. If you read the data tag on the left of you photo you will find that the first 2 numbers are 42. I can tell because the spindle covers are different form each deck. The 38" used the same covers as you have but used the inner set of holes. The 42" deck is what you have, and the 48" deck only had one set of grease holes. The 48" deck also used a bolt on discharge chute the 38 and 42 was made slightly wider to not need a chute.

I cropped you photo of your under carriage, as Paul said the Mule drive is fine and will work. In the new picture the arm on the far left is to long for a narrow frame, if you change just this piece you will be able to mount this deck onto your 70 with out any issues.

I have used this set up on my 70 for a time but mostly on my 100 for several years, I even mowed with it tonight for over an hour!
Attachments
Deck Hanger Parts 1~1.jpg
Deck Hanger Parts 1~1.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 10139 times

lrhredjb

Post by lrhredjb »

I agree. The deck you posted a pic of after painting is indeed a 42" deck. Same as I have on my 106.

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I did some looking at the manuals and the one I have is for a wide frame. If I get the proper piece that attches to the lift bar, would it work?
Give a snake a brake

lrhredjb

Post by lrhredjb »

Kelpie,here are a couple of pics of the 42'' deck and mounting frame I use on my 106.
Larry
Attachments
CC 106 42in deck (Small).JPG
CC Narrow deck frame (Small).JPG

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Post by cbingaman »

Kelpie wrote:I did some looking at the manuals and the one I have is for a wide frame. If I get the proper piece that attches to the lift bar, would it work?
If you change the deck hanger and hardware in the picture that Joe posted to ones from a narrow frame then YES it WILL work. I have a quick attach deck on my 100 like Joe does. Mine is a 38A deck. I used the hanger from a quick attach narrow frame and the mule drive from my 100. It will all fit together without modifications and work just fine. The ONLY modification I made was to use longer eye hangers on the front of the deck as the deck rode too high in the front. Even these were IH parts so still no real modifications were made.

In fact here is a few pictures of it mounted up. The pictures are before I changed the front eye hangers. You can see how the deck rode uphill with the shorter eye hangers lowered as far as theyd go. This is my third season on this setup.
Attachments
100_0003 (Custom).jpg
100_0004 (Small).jpg
100_0005 (Small).jpg
100_0009 (Small).jpg
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

l palma

Post by l palma »

l palma wrote:The mule drive undercarriage you show is from a wide frame.
It has a different set of bends on it that won't let it work on a 70 -123
Looks like you need the one that is pictured in the manual you posted earlier.
Well I am glad that you got that straitened out, as i stated in my post the undercarriage was different,not the other thingy that Paul mentioned. :lol:

Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

Thanks for all the photos and advice. I am in the process of changing a few things and I decided to get a 38" deck and sell the 42" I have. Thanks again for all the info on the thingy's and doohickies....
Give a snake a brake