1650 Fixes/Resto

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: 1650 Fixes/Resto

Post by mgonitzke »

Just out of curiosity...is there some reason you aren't painting the inside of the wheels?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Lmercer
First and Last Name: Lyle Mercer

Post by Lmercer »

Lazy :D

bardenl
First and Last Name: Larry R Barden

Post by bardenl »

Lyle
what is the bearing you used at the top of the column. :?:
I have seen this upgrade be for on the old site.
need to fix a 129 column .
thanks Larry

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

bardenl wrote:Lyle
what is the bearing you used at the top of the column. :?:
I have seen this upgrade be for on the old site.
need to fix a 129 column .
thanks Larry
I used the 3/4" wheel bearing used on the front wheel of the older models. I bought it from the dealer, I don't have the part number off hand but it was 3/4" ID X 1 3/8" OD.

bardenl
First and Last Name: Larry R Barden

Post by bardenl »

Thanks Lyle.
I have new 3/4 wheel bearings.I wondered if that was what you used. looked like it in the pic.
thanks again. Larry :D

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Got the front side of the wheels done today:

Tomorrow the side panels. The only thing left is the blade and mount and that might not get done this year. ;)

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Side panels done:

Before and after pics of the wheels:

Lmercer

Puttin' it back together

Post by Lmercer »

Today I started to put it back together:

I also realized that I didn't have the right size washers for the front wheels with 1" wheel bearings. They were so filthy when I took it apart I didn't notice:

Out of the 6 different ones I have, I only have one 2" washer. I found that I could get another at Grainger. According to Cub Cadet's website, they only made the 1 3/4" size.

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

I applied my decal to the plastic. My tin was good, just awfully faded and textured so I didn't think it would look good.

I also spent $.20 on felt at Walmart to protect my gas tank:

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Looking good!

As long as your dash tin wasn't cut up, torn, or too corroded, you could mask off the silver areas and repaint the rest black, and it probably would look pretty good.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Hey Matt,

That was considered as I knew that putting the decal on the tin wouldn't look right since it's textured. I considered painting it and cutting out the control images and applying those to the tin. After looking at a 127 restoration on another forum, the idea of putting it directly on the plastic/fiberglass seemed like the best one.

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Couple more pics:

Lmercer

Almost Done

Post by Lmercer »

All I need to do is get all the stickers on and get a cover for the seat, also looks like I have a tail light to fix :

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Couldn't find a cover for the seat today so when I was at Farm & Fleet, I just bit the bullet and replaced it:

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

lyle,

wow looks like it came out really good.... and i guess now u see my comment about LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT? its amazing when u think its all covered and then u look at it at the right angle and theres dark spots! the yellow is th worst to cover i think and i have tried every color primer on the market.
I know its too late for you but others my benefit from it. there are several products on the market for a final cleaning of parts to be painted.... i think one manf calls it final clean. the dupont equiv is called 3100 i think but its like 60 bucks a gallon.. i have found it for like 20. This stuff is amazing! i use it for cleaning just about anything. But it keeps those oil/water out of your paint job. One side effect is it will take cheap primer right off! lesson learned there!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

Hey Diamond Dave C
When doing a prep cleaning prior to painting I use a couple of different cleaners to do the job with some ease. I use a petro based de-glosser (not the eviro-friendly stuff) on some areas and for a lighter touch I use a pre-degreaser/de-waxer on other areas.
Now for the good stuff...
LM
You gotta be as proud as a papa with your sweet 1650 :P I kinda feel dirty from looking at all those pictures of you giving birth to a beautiful IH 1650. :roll: WOW :o what a nice job on adding another 40-50 years of life to one of the best built garden tractors ever made. That is a fine job and the documentation is much appreciated. Since doing such a fine job and relating it to giving birth, do you think the boss will give you a little time off and maybe the family can toss a nice shower with IH gifts? Only in a perfect world.Have fun with it and a great job

I just put a freshly bored (+10) 16hp Kohler back into it's original 1650 body last night. For a shaker the engine purred like a kitten...on steroids. Had the counter-weight attach the the inside of the crank lope (in place of balance gears). Runs like a champ.

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Thanks for the comments. I am happy with the way it has turned out. I almost hate to think about plowing snow with it!! :lol:

A few more decals on now:

Lucky for me I have a buddy who is VERY detail oriented. I couldn't have done as nice a job as he has. He's put all them on for me. I'll owe him BIG TIME!! :mrgreen:

I think the decals are a nice accent.

Lmercer

Post by Lmercer »

Another .20 cents at WalMart on felt to keep from scratching the new paint:

Just 2 more stickers today, hopefully the rest tomorrow:

If you notice in the 4th pic, the scratch on the front from the hood opening. I had no idea it rubbed until too late, so a piece of felt on the bottom so it doesn't get worse.

billor57
First and Last Name: Bill Collins

Post by billor57 »

Lyle
I just did up my 1200 I purchased from Kevin Sanders (great tractor),put it all together than opened the hood as you did, same results you got so I also used felt. You did a super job it looks great.I,ll post mine sometime if my son shows me how to do so.