A few questions???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
aar
First and Last Name: Craig Armfield

A few questions???

Post by aar »

1. Is a kt-17 out of a 317 jd the same as the kt-17 in a 682?

2. what is a 682 which appears to be in pretty good condition less the engine worth?

My father in law has an overhauled 317 engine and i found a 682 less engine and was wondering if i had a match ;)

3. I recently transferred a kohler 12 horse that was in a 107 into a 125 as the 125 was in much better shape. After doing so i installed the mower deck and now the pto seems to not want to engage. It seemed to work ok in the 107. Is there something I could have done to cause this in the engine swap or was it just dumb luck?

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: A few questions???

Post by Jlaws »

I'm not a Deere expert by no means , but i think about the only difference on the KT 17 swap will be the muffler and muffler heat shield . The exhaust on a KT 17 on the 317 comes out the side while the KT 17 on a 682 comes out the front . Also the muffler heat shield is shorter on the 317 and made for the exhaust coming out the side .
Other than that I think the engines are the same and you can change out the muffler and heat shield .
I believe the early KT17's came with a coil/ points style ignition while the later ones came with a magneto style ignition , again I'm not 100% positive about this .

On the 107/ 125 PTO , its probably just needs the PTO linkage adjusted , if it worked on one it should have worked on the other .

Rick Harris just put a KT17 into a 317 Deere that I think came out of a cub , and he's should know all about that swap , maybe he'll chime in . ;)
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I wanna say the JD had a different crank end...1" instead of 1 1/8", so you'd probably need a JD PTO clutch, too. I think the air cleaner may also be different, but you could change that.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

rharris
First and Last Name: Rick Harris

Post by rharris »

Yes, as Jess mentioned, use the Cub muffler and exhaust shroud from a 682/782. If it is a late KT series-II (with the external oil filter block-off) you can use an exhaust shroud from a magnum powered Cub like a 1872/1811/1812/1806. Deere and Cub both use the long sheet metal over the #1 (right side) cylinder so the exhaust shroud should bolt right up as long as your JD engine still has the cast iron exhaust manifolds. You will also need the aluminum hub/driver from the Cub flywheel. Swapping the driver should be easy as most of the twins have the offset hole in the flywheel for the Cadet spec driver. Torque the flywheel bolt to 40 ft/lbs and make sure the bolt it's very lightly oiled and the hole in the crank is clear of any debris and fluids.

As for the PTO end of the crank. Yes the JD used a 1" PTO. Just use a PTO from a 582. I have been using a 582 PTO on an engine I have here for the last three or four years.

Oh, one more thing. The fasteners that secure the muffler to the block also secure the top of the PTO. They are interchangeable on any of the Magnum or KT powered Cubs. Be sure to chase the holes in the end-plate with a tap in case they were not used on the JD motor.
Building my Cub Cadet fleet....one bolt at a time.

aar
First and Last Name: Craig Armfield

Post by aar »

Thanks for the replies, asking price for the 682 is 300 bucks and says it has a new pto clutch.