Restoring my Danco RD1000 loader...

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Sminkey
First and Last Name: Jude Sminkey

Restoring my Danco RD1000 loader...

Post by Sminkey »

Bout time I start a thread on my recently acquired Danco loader. Was a little to excited when it came up for sale as I paid way way to much for it in the shape it's in. It's a long list of things to do/repair/fabricate, but it's getting done. I'll start with the hydraulic pump and reservoir. The pump shaft was bent creating a nice wobble on the pulley and the shaft bearing was toasted because of it. Got the shaft straightned out and sourced a new bearing for it. The reservoir was in bad shape as the front bumper is missing, therefore the reservoir canister became the bumper :roll: . Took it to my blacksmith and he wouldn't work on it fearing he might damage it more. He recommended a body shop, but after thinking about it, if anyone's going to ruin it it's best if it's me! So with no body work tools I took a small claw hammer and cut the claw off so I had some clearance inside the canister to bang out the dents. One dent was so close to piercing the canister. Took me an hour or so of beating on it and it came out fairly nicely. Had to reshape the lid too. I'll be updating this thread with pics as I progress.
Attachments
Danco reservoir.jpg
Danco reservoir.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Danco reservoir1.jpg
Danco reservoir1.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Danco shaft bearing.jpg
Danco shaft bearing.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Last edited by Sminkey on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
62' O' w/ud-6.fenders.rear lift & spring assist.timed deck.
65' 71 w/Danco RD1000.fenders.creeper.IH utility box.dual wheels.lights.
68' 72 w/creeper.fenders.lights.cast deck.Hydro Unit.1a tiller.

Sminkey

Re: Restoring my Danco RD1000 loader...

Post by Sminkey »

Next in line is the front bumper brackets. A po butted and welded the plates together when they're supposed to overlap each other and be bolted together. So I had to cut the pieces apart and clean up the welds. Got those painted and will put on the 71 tonight or tomorrow. The dump lever control rod was all bent to ****, had the blacksmith straighten that out for me. That's in the pic with bumper brackets. Got the cylinders and control valve painted up and a few other parts. Will replace all o-rings tonight and make gaskets for the reservoir. Plenty more to come!!
Attachments
front bumper brackets.jpg
front bumper brackets.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 12094 times
bumper barckets & control rod.jpg
bumper barckets & control rod.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 12094 times
Finished Danco parts.JPG

tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Post by tractrs2nv »

Looking good Jude! Did you get your decals yet?
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thanks Kevin! Have not acquired the decals yet. She might be done with, I'll have to give her a call. Don't need them quite yet.

jspicer
First and Last Name: Josh Spicer

Post by jspicer »

Jude,
Loader is looking good. Glad to see you're getting it back into shape. Can't wait to see the finished product with it mounted on the 71.
Cubs in the den: 882 Diesel, 1512 Diesel, 1772 SGT Diesel..............I've got a smokin' problem

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Well just learned why PO butted and welded the bumper brackets together! The RD1000 is for the 70 & 100 ONLY :roll: . I didn't realize it till now that it wouldn't just bolt right up to the 71. The reservoir hits the grill casting on the 71 when I tried to bolt it up. Going to drill a new hole in each bracket to move it forward an inch so the reservoir will clear the grill. Hopefully some pics tomorrow.

Thanks Josh, I can't wait to get it done too :beer:

CaptMax
First and Last Name: Max Miller

Post by CaptMax »

Jude, The loader is looking great! Too bad the PO didn't give you more information on its application, and too bad they made so many mods to it. It looks as if your getting it back in shape the way it was intended. You have some good skills there and I know it will look awesome on your tractor. Keep at it, it will be worth it when your finished. :beer:
CaptMax

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

WooHoo :D Hydraulic pump is installed hooked up!! Took a bit of fabrication, but took my time and did it the right way, the way it should have been done before! Everything is unaltered so this RD1000 will bolt right up to a 70 & 100 if I ever do take off the 71.

Thanks Max! The PO obviously didn't know crap about it!! Was a great feeling to finally get the pump/reservoir on :beer: And now I've got a bit more motivation to finish it, have the lift assembly,side frames and bucket stripped down but still need to sand them. Need to take side frame and lift assembly to a buddy who will properly fix the stress fractures by cutting out the old welds, v-grooving for the new weld so it has good penetration. Funny thing is, I never intend on using this loader, but I want it to be structurally sound cause I do plan on passing down my cubs to my nephew someday! And who knows what abuse it may recieve then :shock:
Attachments
71pump.jpg
71pump1.JPG
71pump1.JPG (92.2 KiB) Viewed 11976 times
71pump2.jpg
71pump2.jpg (79.19 KiB) Viewed 11976 times
lift assembly.jpg
lift assembly.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 11976 times
side frames,bucket stripped.jpg
side frames,bucket stripped.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 11976 times

CaptMax

Post by CaptMax »

Wow! You've been a busy man Jude. I can't believe you've gotten that much done so quickly. Like all your work.....it looks FANTASTIC!! :beer:
CaptMax

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thanks Max :beer: I put some time in on the bucket today. It's the only piece that didn't need any major work done so I got it prepped and put a coat of primer on. Will sand and prime one more time before paint. Also got the control valve rebuilt with new o-rings. Will try to get the one good side frame prepped and primed tomorrow.
Attachments
bucket primed.JPG
bucket primed.JPG (50.97 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
bucket primed1.JPG
bucket primed1.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
control valve rebuilt.JPG
control valve rebuilt.JPG (44.27 KiB) Viewed 11943 times

juniors1282
First and Last Name: Eric Ferguson

Post by juniors1282 »

Looks great Jude!
One man's junk is another man's tractor!

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thank a bunch Eric!! Nice to hear from ya and your avatar is sweet! Congrats again on getting the cover of Cadet Connection.

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Looks great Jude! :beer:

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thanks Mike! Got to thinking about the trouble I had mounting the pump up so I tried to attach one of the side frames today to see if that was all clear. Low and behold, I can't mount side frames and run fenders :x . Another lesson learned, that's why in all the Danco loader manuals you don't see any Cubs with round fenders attached! The problem is the arm that runs to the rear and bolts to axle is hitting the inside corner of the fenders. I think I'm going to notch the fenders so I can keep them on, don't mind the look of no fenders, but I do really like them with. Only have to notch a square inch or so, will take fenders off then mount side frames. Then line fenders up and mark them for notching. I think it will look nice still as long as my notchwork comes out ok. Hoping you won't be able to notice it at all, we'll see :D . I hope that is the last major hurdle I have to clear for mounting this loader. Got some paint down on the bucket today and prepped out the side frames some more.
Attachments
bucket.jpg
side frames.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Jude,
The fenders have two different size mounting brackets.One is for the wider tires.Do your fenders have the shorter brackets? Not sure if the wider brackets will clear the loader mounts but it is worth checking before cutting up a good set of fenders....

Looks like you are coming along well.

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

l palma wrote:Jude,
The fenders have two different size mounting brackets.One is for the wider tires.Do your fenders have the shorter brackets? Not sure if the wider brackets will clear the loader mounts but it is worth checking before cutting up a good set of fenders....

Looks like you are coming along well.
I just got in from the shop, was looking at the fender brackets and thought just make some spacers. I didn't know there are 2 different size brackets :?: Not sure, but I'm assuming I've got the shorter ones as the tractor is all original and has 6x12 tires. Do you know the measurement on the wider brackets?? I need probably an inch more frame to fender clearance. I was like there has to be another way, I don't want to hack up these sweet fenders :roll:

Thanks Lew! Have to have the fenders!!

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Yes save the fenders !!!
My bracket is 5" wide.
You may not be able to go wider or the tires will hit inside,especially when running chains...

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

l palma wrote:Yes save the fenders !!!
My bracket is 5" wide.
You may not be able to go wider or the tires will hit inside,especially when running chains...
Thanks Lew :beer: I have the 4" brackets, the 5" ones wouldn't work either as I need 1-3/4" more space. I uploaded some pics of the mock up I did today. Mounted the right side frame to see how much space there is between fender and fender bracket. I thought about and 1" would be it, but after bolting up the side frame it measured out to be 1.75". So I pulled bracket off and took it to the blacksmith to have him fabricate me 2 new brackets that will be 5.75" wide. I still have good clearance between fender and tire, chains are out of the question with this setup. But that's ok, wasn't planning on putting chains on again, and hey just realized I could just run a set of chains on the outside tires :D . One super nice thing was how the rear axle tie lined up with the fenders axle ties. Think I'm going to have two 1/4" plates made up to reinforce the fenders axle ties as it's a fairly thin gauge and I'd like to be able to torque the axle ties down good without bending anything.
Attachments
71 side frame.jpg
rear axle ties1.jpg

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

I bought a 100 with a rd1000 on it and it had fenders and they are notched so I will use them but be hard for me to notch a set and i have prolly 12 sets here off the tractors

drhntrrmw
First and Last Name: Rob White

Post by drhntrrmw »

Jude, looking good!! :beer:

I think your work is motivating me to start on my newly acquired 70 with Danco loader.

WHAT! cut fenders....and did he say he had 12 sets :shock:
I'm just looking for one set of fenders!

tweinke
First and Last Name: Todd Weinke

Post by tweinke »

Keep up the good work Jude!!! Sorry I could not help with the trip lever or cross brace. Did you get someone to fab that bumper I sent dimensions for yet? After all is said and done you will have one very nice machine . Wish I could find the proper bucket and trip parts for mine but what I have works fine for me being its a worker not a show piece.
DSCF1172 (Small).JPG

But for encouragement I did start with this....
Picture 079 (Small).jpg

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

You guys and your shiney pretty loaders!.......well,it just makes me wanna puke :lol:
If I eve took mine apart to clean up and paint it would never be in one piece again.

Jude,you're doing a smashing job!
Todd,nice looking loader!

tweinke

Post by tweinke »

Big mike you sayin chrome dont get ya home! ya but it sure looks good on the side of the road!!!. Mine is getting scratched up from use but thats ok cuz I fixed it to use not look at. :beer: :lol:

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I'm with Mike on the shiney loader thing . Mines got the brush-on rustroleum treatment.....LOL
I use mine to much to tear down and repaint , besides it would probably join some of my other projects torn down waiting to be finished , such as my low 4 digit Original and Motts flail mower . Both of which are in pieces stored in boxes in the corner of my garage and on the to do list ....
My Johnson loaders not pretty but gets the job done .
Attachments
Sscn9428.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Heck I need to re-ring my cylinders and don't want to take them off just for that.......maybe that's a sign I need to FOCUS :lol:......finish a project before tearing into another....ahhh,what fun is that?!

tweinke

Post by tweinke »

Jude Keep up the good work. As you may have noticed once you get done a loader starts to be hard to live without! At my place we don't need no stinkin wheelbarrow or yard cart or snow shovel or........... The uses you can find are endless. :D So best do it right cuz you will not want to be without it again!

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thanks guys :beer: I'm not putting this loader back in action(I think) as I want to show the 71/Danco. I would like to get another one to use though :D One I don't have to worry about scratching :lol: . Been wicked busy at work the past week, but got some time in yesterday and today on the rd1000. The bucket and lift assembly had a total of 8 tabs that were welded on. I'm guessing someone tried to run hydraulics for the bucket at one point. The tabs aren't original to the loader so I cut them all off and cleaned up the welds. Repainted bucket, primered and painted the one good side frame, made some brackets for the fenders to reinforce axle ties, cleaned up PO's hackjob and cut new piece of metal to weld back in, repainted right fender as it had some orange peel. Took the lift assembly and other side frame to get fractures repaired and should be back tomorrow for primer.

Todd, the blacksmith has been very busy and hasn't got to the bumper yet. I did make him a carboard template of the dimensions you gave me, thanks bud :beer: . I have him making my fender brackets first and should have them done tomorrow too. I told him no rush on bumper cause I won't need that till last and he'll cut me a sweet deal for being patient. Tie bracket I'll fabricate and for the dump lever, for now I'm making one out of a pto handle and will see about having one machined to look like original lever. Couple more weeks and hopefully some finished pics :D
Attachments
fender bracket reinforcements.jpg
side frame.jpg
side frame1.jpg
lift assembly tabs.jpg
lift assembly detabbed.jpg

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Some updates... Got the lift assembly and side frame back today :D from the repair shop since I don't have access to 220v for my welder :x . My buddy Larsen fixed her up good and I got to prep and primer and will probably paint on wednesday. Getting close now, can't wait to get it operating! Side frame in pics is the one that was hacked on and posted a pic of the bucket repainted without the 4 tabs that were welded on. Blacksmith said he'd have my fender brakcets done by thursday, if not I'm getting someone else to make them for me. I don't want to be held up because of some easy to make brackets that were to be done last week.
Attachments
bucket detabbed,painted.jpg
bucket detabbed,painted.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 11634 times
side.JPG
side.JPG (78.85 KiB) Viewed 11634 times
lift assembly repair weld.jpg
lift assembly repair weld.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 11634 times
lift assembly primed.jpg
lift assembly primed.jpg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 11634 times

CaptMax

Post by CaptMax »

Looks great Jude. All these pictures is making me want one. I'll be sure to tell my wife it was all your fault. :roll:
CaptMax

Sminkey

Post by Sminkey »

Thanks Max! and I'll take all the blame if you get a loader, specially if it's a Danco :D

I went to the blacksmith yesterday and still no fender brackets so I took original bracket and bumper template to a metal fabrication shop. After waiting for 3 weeks from the blacksmith, these guys called me at lunchtime today to let me know the stuff was ready :o . I was like what?! Then I asked how much since I never discussed that on drop off, he say's $60. That's the best service and bang for the buck I've recieved in quite a while! Parts were top notch too, will have them fab the cross tie that's missing in a week or 2. Got primer and paint on the brackets today and got to mount up the right side frame. Took some patience but got it all setup and I'm starting to really dig the outcome. Mounted the control valve up too. Rear fender clearance is at a minimum now, no more chains on the inside wheels :D Still need to order bucket pivot bar from McMaster, it's a 1" round solid metal by 36+". Couple more fittings and hoses and I'll be in business!!
Attachments
bumper and fender bracket.jpg
71 sideframe.jpg
71 rear axle and new fender bracket.jpg
71 left side frame.jpg