Cub cadet 125

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
newcub57
First and Last Name: Peter Koehler

Cub cadet 125

Post by newcub57 »

I bought a non-running 125 with 48" deck. The motor turns out to be bad. How do the NF hydros compare to the 1250's etc. I have a 1250 and I really prefer the direct drive units. The 125 also had hydro lift. I am relatively new to cubs. Thanks in advance for any info. This is a great forum, Pete

aar
First and Last Name: Craig Armfield

Re: Cub cadet 125

Post by aar »

They are direct drive also, and the only difference i can tell is the hydro control isn't in the same spot lol

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The answer is simple fix and use both Cubs! :lol:
One of the best Cubs I have had was a 1250 and what made it good was hydraulic lift.Once you have a Tractor with hyd lift it is hard to go back.Before you do anything with the hyd lift on the 125 I would take it apart and inspect it closely as parts are hard to find and can get pricey.
You do not say WHAT is bad about the 125s motor.They can be rebuilt fairly easy and fairly inexpensively

newcub57
First and Last Name: Peter Koehler

Post by newcub57 »

I meant I prefer the 3 speed trans versus the Hydrostatic. The camshaft gear stripped 1/2 the teeth off. I have a cam, maybe a winterjob. The hydro lift worked both ways when I spun the engine trying to start it, but in the process I found the cam problem. I thought maybe there was a difference in the NF hydro tractors vs. a quiet line hydro drive. Maybe I will try to part out the tractor and mower, to help support this habit, thanks again, Pete

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

newcub57 wrote:I meant I prefer the 3 speed trans versus the Hydrostatic. The camshaft gear stripped 1/2 the teeth off. I have a cam, maybe a winterjob. The hydro lift worked both ways when I spun the engine trying to start it, but in the process I found the cam problem. I thought maybe there was a difference in the NF hydro tractors vs. a quiet line hydro drive. Maybe I will try to part out the tractor and mower, to help support this habit, thanks again, Pete
I have a 122 and a 125. I like the 125 better ( the 122 has creeper )
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Pete

Its all in what you like. I dont like hydros, I like my gear drives. I HATE the QL's. I think they are money pits, the iso mounts are always worn out. Not to mention if the grill is missing they look like a flat head catfish coming out of the water.

The narow frames are hard to work on, but I think they look the best. I like the wide frames to work on and they ride nice.

Ive never had a hydro unit on a cub. Ive seen many of them at plow days and seem to work real well. Some of the people here that have them have had to rebuild them and I thin Westfall has a kit on his site.

Id take the hydro over the QL any day, but thats just me.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Ha ha Vince,
I have 7 gear drives and when I got them they all needed new drive shafts and T.O. bearings,ect. except the 108 and the 128,smoooooth.
They are easy to work on just stand them up.
I like the hydros when you have to go back and forth,back and forth,...back and forth.... around trees and throwing snow.

No leaks on the gear drives and no creeping issue either.
But if you get a creep on a gear drive taking a leak that's a whole nother story....

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Lew

I got a creepier on my 106. I keep going back and fort on taking it out. It comes in real handy for me when the boys arnt here to drag stuff around, I put it on the low side and walk between the two tractors. Or Ill just start it and put it in gear and let it go accross the yard and see if anyone notices it moving :lol:

Oh and talked to Dickerson the other day, hes in love we lost him :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

ccarney
First and Last Name: Craig Carney

Post by ccarney »

Hey newcub57 take a look to make sure your governor gear is still there, my cam was stripped on the k301 also but it turned out that the problem started with the governor gear stripping, then clashing and stripping out the cam gear too...

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

vince_o wrote:Lew
Oh and talked to Dickerson the other day, hes in love we lost him :lol:
:o :o