cub cadet 1782 diesel

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
karen
First and Last Name: Karen Manso

cub cadet 1782 diesel

Post by karen »

I am operating a cub cadet 1782 diesel and hope I can get some help. The tractor seems to run just fine except that I have noticed that the water temperature quickly goes up to 230 degrees. The filters are clean, plenty of fluids; my son removed the thermostat. I read the manual and it indicates that a light will go off on the dash if the tractor is overheating. Is this normal temperature for kubota diesel engine or will there be a big problem soon? The tractor only has 208 hours on it and has been serviced yearly - by vendor and my son. My son has moved out and I am now using tractor and don't want to ruin it. Thank you for any assistance. Karen

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: cub cadet 1782 diesel

Post by Tom Scott »

Karen - Welcome to the forum. I would start by installing a new thermostat. Many engines will not circulate the coolant properly without the back-pressure that the thermostat provides. I would guess that it started overheating which is what prompted your son to remove the thermostat. Your original thermostat may have failed, so that is why I would install a new one.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jackman
First and Last Name: Jack Hammer

Post by Jackman »

I 2nd Tom Scott re install the thermostat :!:

Also heck the radiator fins with lawn mowing. brush hogging etc etc the fins tend to plug which in turn equals a over heat situation , I am not up on the 1782 but some tractors have a removeable screen in front of the radiator it comes out with no tools needed just clean and re install :idea:
Cub Cadet 104
1957 International Cub Lo Boy
1987 John Deere 850 4X4 diesel
2 Kawasaki Triples S3 and an H1

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

The problem with removing the thermostat is that the water flows to fast through the radiator, and doesn't have time to remove the heat. This is the reason the motor will run hotter without the thermostat installed. I have seen flow restrictors on heater hoses before to increase the heater output.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

This is a problem with the 1782's. The position of the radiator under the consol means poor air flow. My 1782 does the same thing. Changed the pump, thermostat and flushed it and cleand and flushed the radiator. No help. That is why it sits in the barn behind a lot of junk. Not my favorite cub diesel. Have 3 1572's and none of them overheat ever! Even with lots of debris on the radiator.

even tried runnin git without the side panels..no luck!
Last edited by Racenitro on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Yes there is a warning light on the top of the consol. It will come on when it is too hot!

karen
First and Last Name: Karen Manso

Post by karen »

Thank you - all of you - for your input. I have heard that there is this overheating issue with this model. I will get a new thermostat and go from there. Thanks again!