Why not one more?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Why not one more?

Post by ksanders »

Okay, does anyone have some 169 serial number info. Mainly when the first one would have been built or the first serial numbers for them? I can't find that info anymore.
Alright, so with college back around the corner I've been tidying up the few Cubs around here I'm getting rid of and getting things clean, fixed up, and off my mind. Got a text yesterday (yes a text) about a 149 that needs some help. I was gonna pass but it wasn't 25 miles away and the price wasn't bad so I bit. Got there and whoa, everything on it looked 169. To top it off, it had a 3 pt on the back which was also unmentioned. The black 16hp motor was originally yellow underneath and was painted black in a past tractor repaint. Correct muffler (but rusted out) and correct air breather. Everything points to a 169 here. If it checks out on the serial I might just have to keep this around and make it a winter project. I get to keep one now and then, right?
Attachments
My tan gone blue Cub hauler
My tan gone blue Cub hauler
Before unloading.  Typical broken hood hinge.
Before unloading. Typical broken hood hinge.
Not too shabby for what I thought I was going after
Not too shabby for what I thought I was going after
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: Why not one more?

Post by Paul B »

Nice find. From what Harold Schramn told me, and Jim Chabot, all the 169's were built after production of the 149's ended, and were built in the Aug 74-Oct 74 time frame. I do not have a first S/N. Records show that there were manufactoring orders for 4006, but as of Oct 31, 1974 only 3877 had been built.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Then by that information it is one. I'm working on researching it right now. An online tractor data site (for what it may be worth) says the numbers on it run from 506737-529811 which ends at the end of October 1974 but starts around April. Either way, this one is 523xxx which is a September '74 model and within the August-October range. Only other thing I'll do is check the fins on the motor I guess but this has 169 written all over it. If all were built after 149's ended production, that pretty much settles it. Looks like I have a new restoration project :thumbsup:
This is actually my second 169 and I've regretted getting rid of my other one since I did two years ago but couldn't keep them all.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Kevin, you probably already know this but I suppose it's worth repeating
Check the serial # tag to verify if it is a true 169. A 129 will have a four digit machine code of 0046, a 149 will be 0047 and a 169 will be 0048.
Yeah, I'm looking inside of a barn at one of those things too
Maybe I will maybe not :lol:

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Ken, I actually never knew that. And I've had a lot of wide frames. I had to go out there and it is in fact 0048. Who knows where the 149 decals ever came from then. It was repainted once so maybe they were thrown on. I'll look at the tractor closer in a day or two when I get time and find out if there's decals under these.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Kevin,
I could be a friday tractor and came like that from the factory.
You find all the good ones... How many hours on it?
i am still looking for my 169

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks for the link. I'm printing that off as I type. Alright, so here's the update. Looks like the decals are original and no signs of any underneath, so quite possibly wrong from the factory unless a different dash was installed when the PO repainted it at one point. It was a rough repaint but the decals match the hood and a new dash tin was installed it looks like, so possibly a different dash and hood was used during the repaint. Either 340 or 940 hours depending on if it turned over yet. The 13fin motor has a little oil from the head so probably 940. Here's the kicker, battery was good and after I found a short in the pto switch wiring it fired right up. Needs a good carb cleaning and the muffler end is gone but I drove it around. Fix those things, trunion repair, wheel bearing, and hood hinge and it would be a ready to work tractor. No noise from the motor but might have to rebuild it anyway if I take the time to repaint.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Depending on when the repaint was done, the 169 decals could have already been NLA from Cub Cadet since the 169 was such a rare model. I remember in the late 80s a lot of the decal sets were NLA for the rarer models like the 71,72, 73, 86 and some others. I don't specifically remember the 169 though.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

That's a very probable thought because this looks like a 15-20 year old repaint. Also looks like most of the white was done superb and then the fender pan and wheels were where someone lost interest and just sprayed over rust. It's all aged and starting to fade again, but obviously repainted before.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I had one free day last weekend and tore the tractor down to pass time. I've been sanding parts with the sand-blaster, grinder, sandpaper, etc. at nights just to pass time since it's getting dark earlier again. Also fixed the fiberglass dash, steering column, and a bunch of small things on this to do a good restoration. Before I knew it, I sanded the last parts tonight for painting and got some of it painted last weekend. The dreaded fenderpan is always my last part. I can't believe this is this far along but here's some progress pics. I already had to get decals for it because it's all coming together. This was supposed to be a winter project too :lol:
Attachments
128 stuff 012.jpg
128 stuff 011.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Boy Kevin,
You really do a great job on all your resto's.where do you find the time? :beer:
What I need is a bigger shop :mrgreen:

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks Lew. I don't know where the time came from because its almost all been dabbling here and there at night. A lot of it is having a blast cabinet, outside sand blaster, several sanders, grinders, and every possible tool to make going through one of these a lot more efficient than before. This will be my 12th Cub and 4 tractors I've redone. I can't believe that either.I need a shop too and not just the garage.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

I got a question on the serial numbers. My 169 is serial # 5071xx and would have been built in April of 74. If production ran with other models than mine should be an early one. How did they roll off the line? Thanks.

cub1450
First and Last Name: Jed Harper

Post by cub1450 »

:lol:
1978 1450 with IH Hubcaps
1975 1650SGT work in progress
1974 129 with sleeve hitch
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts
Brinly 8in plow ,12" in. plow, disc & rear blade, 2 44a,50a

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

I thought I read somewhere that all 149s came with hydralics and 169s were suppose to but they didn't have the stock so since the 149s were advertised as such they kept all the 149s loaded and sent most 169s out without hydralics? Fact Check me but I believe that was in a magazine .

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Half of the tractors came without hydro lift because they had run out of hydro lift units and wanted to get the tractors out. I don't know how many were shipped with and without or what the exact story is.

Here's the progress I've made. Need to repair the muffler and get some time to work on it at some point and finish stuff up on it.
Attachments
169 001.jpg
169 002.jpg

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Wow, looks good Kevin! :beer: