Getting ready for Winter

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Getting ready for Winter

Post by Klapatta »

While it may be 80 degrees here with a dew point about the same it's time for me to start preparing for the Winter season.
I have one, maybe two cuttings left for the season.
Today, I pulled the blade off the 126 and mounted the thrower gear box in place. It has just been rebuilt with 2 new outer bearings, a new input shaft, and new snap rings.
DSCN1137.JPG
The auger really took a pounding from last year and it's going to need work-
DSCN1138.JPG
Or I might use this one, I'm not quite sure yet- there may be a bit less work involved here.
DSCN1140.JPG
I came across this thing yesterday, it's been sitting in a barn for a very long time. The pile of junk around it seems to be growing from the last time I saw it.
DSCN1135.JPG
Yes, it is a true 169. Sadly, I have neither the time nor room for additional projects at the moment.

Klapatta

Re: Getting ready for Winter

Post by Klapatta »

This year I'm going give these Kenda 10.5s mounted on 8.5 wheels at try- they are getting fitted with 2 link chains with cross bars.
I bought them some years ago to run in a stock class pulling club that only allowed turf tires. While they are a bit wider than what I wanted they are only laying around and my stock of 8.5s turfs are all pretty well dry rotted out and not dependable. I can't see buying 2 more new ones with these hanging around.
DSCN1142.JPG

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Its always good to think ahead. I just figured you Vermont guys would be rebuilding rivers, lakes and bridges till next september.

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

If you didn't mount the chains on the other side, could you get measurements of the chain? ( width & length ) I got a pair of 10.50s for my 125 since the 8.50s I had dry rotted.

I have an older set of chains from my late grandfaqther's IH stepvan :D

Thanks
Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I finished that miserable job today so I can't provide a length
I suppose that you will just have to guess Jeff :lol:
However having had gone the old truck chain route as well there are some left over links on hand to look at-
DSCN1145.JPG
I did let the air out of the tires before mounting- That made for a nice tight hook up once inflated.
One thing though, that set of tires is fitted with tubes and one of the valve stems nearly vanished into abyss forever :shock:
After capturing the last remaining 1/32" of the valve stem with needle nose pliers I put a pair of needle nose vise grips on the stem before trying to fill that tire with air again!

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Klapatta wrote:I finished that miserable job today so I can't provide a length
I suppose that you will just have to guess Jeff :lol:
However having had gone the old truck chain route as well there are some left over links on hand to look at-
DSCN1145.JPG
I did let the air out of the tires before mounting- That made for a nice tight hook up once inflated.
One thing though, that set of tires is fitted with tubes and one of the valve stems nearly vanished into abyss forever :shock:
After capturing the last remaining 1/32" of the valve stem with needle nose pliers I put a pair of needle nose vise grips on the stem before trying to fill that tire with air again!
13-3/4" Thanks :beer:

Find a metal valve core removal tool ( like at NAPA ) and screw that onto the valve stem. That way it won't disappear into the abyss :lol:

( I had a job after high school for two years changing tires, I learned a "couple" tricks )

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I decided to make today my last cutting for the year.
Be that as it may I pulled the deck off and gave it a decent cleaning up before storage.
DSCN1153.JPG
Since I had already managed to get myself filthy why not go on and mount up the blade?
DSCN1151.JPG
Here's the traction setup that I will be running on this one for the Winter-
DSCN1156.JPG

CaptMax
First and Last Name: Max Miller

Post by CaptMax »

How many pounds of lead is that hanging out back? Looks like a nice amount.
CaptMax

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

They weigh 20 pounds each. Plus 4 Cub weights on the tires. I could have hung a couple more on the inside of the tires but skipped that.

For this one time :roll: the decks are ready to use in the Spring-
DSCN1160.JPG

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Last Winter got pretty intense around here and brutal conditions called for desperate measures, that poor freshly repaired auger really got blasted this time around- one of the paddles is even bent.
DSCN1161.JPG
The blades needed to be straightened out and welded at 3 of the 4 places and also a piece of steel was missing. I had to fish plate a small section of steel in to that area- I think it ought to hold fine.
DSCN1163.JPG
One thing's for sure- this one ain't gonna win any trailer queen awards! :lol:

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Seems the driveshaft got loose and it bored into the side of the chain tension, look at those sprocket teeth :o
DSCN1168.JPG
It's always good to have a spare laying around :mrgreen:
All better now- :)
DSCN1166.JPG

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thanks for the measurement Ken. In my "pile of chains", I have one set suitable for 8.50's and one for 10.50's :beer:

Now I just have to cut to length. The bad part is they are just single chain, no extra cross bars like my good set for the 8.50's . I'll put that set on the 122 with the blade.

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

I think I am ready as well. We don't get a lot of snow here, but the last 2 years we have had enough to keep me home for a day or two. So this year I have the QA42A rebuilt and ready, 2 new belts will be here this week, have all the zerks greased, have 5W30 oil in the motor, 4 gallons of WW fluid in each back tire. have the tire chains installed, have the 200watt blaock heater strapped to the oilpan, have a 2 amp charger on the biggest U1 battery I could find. And I have backed in the garage ready for work.

I'm going to look like batman coming out of the Batcave. I'll have to show how we throw snow here in Oklahoma. :D :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E8aA1uHVys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhxus-D7q0
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

I'm not even close to being ready for winter. Hopefully I'll get some cub time this weekend.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Scott C. wrote:I'm not even close to being ready for winter. Hopefully I'll get some cub time this weekend.
I got some cub time in today. I did my final mowing / leaf mulching with the 125. It got delayed a couple of weeks because of the early snow storm :lol:

Now I can change the 125 over to QA-42 snow duty. The 122 already has the 42" front blade on it, just need to remove the ags and put the weighted 8.50s with chains on.

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

I got a bit of 782 seat time today went and chopped leaves on the schoolhouse yard. If I didn't they would haunt my yard all winter.

Mower suddenly froze up drawing power so bad if I left the pto in would stall tractor. I shut it down and reched
under and found I could turn blades by hand, but wouldn't run with PTO so to the den we went.. jacked er up and found a 1/2 " rope about 6' long had tied two of the blades together , but would let me rock blades by hand.
Not sure if I'll put the snow blade on or rebuild engine .. money is not my friend at this time
Still thinking of my options, and the only two i got now is to part my Big Bolens and use the 18 Vanguard out of it.
or trade it for a good engine. don't really want to do either ... Buttttt !
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Big Jim, :o Whats with the engine :?: I knew you had caught stuff in the deck, but I didn't realize you were having engine issues too :( Sheesh, is everybody :banghead:
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

jpackard56 wrote:Big Jim, :o Whats with the engine :?: I knew you had caught stuff in the deck, but I didn't realize you were having engine issues too :( Sheesh, is everybody :banghead:
Just an on going lack of rebuild after a rebuild that went wrong. I aint seen a mosquito all summer near the creek.
was using 3/4 qt of oil every time I mowed.. now uses a quart + at times. lots of motor honey and Lucas oil this summer to no avail. probably run it till she blows then put the 18 Van guard in it . and scrap out the big "B"
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Jeff in Pa wrote:Thanks for the measurement Ken. In my "pile of chains", I have one set suitable for 8.50's and one for 10.50's :beer:

Now I just have to cut to length. The bad part is they are just single chain, no extra cross bars like my good set for the 8.50's . I'll put that set on the 122 with the blade.
The 125 is almost ready, just have to find new clips/latches for securing the tire chains. The many decades old chains fit but won't secure the chains in the closed position. The old chains are on the fluid filled tires on the 122 now.

Any idea on finding those latches/clips?

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I'm getting closer. Have the fender pan off the 2283 working on tightening up the hydro controls a bit. Found one item which I may need to look at on the rear end, One of the bolts is missing BUT it isn't leaking and a new bolt placed in the hole sounds like it's hitting steel. Not sure what that is but may let it go until spring OR it causes a bigger problem. The Hydro issue is simple wear and lack of prior care. Should be able to clear it up with a simple cleaning and adjusting. Then I just need to drop the steering box. It's a bit loose compared to the other one so I may just swap them and rebuild it when I get bored.
Did FINALLY get the seat to move all the way back. Won't help with the cab as you can't put the seat back with the cab on (that is where a SGT has a BIG advantage).
Hoping to get it all back together tomorrow and get the cab and blower mounted up, Then I can pull the blower apart and beat it back some, again....
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."