Ooouch!!!!!

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Ooouch!!!!!

Post by Amigatec »

I just got back from the Cub dealer, bought a gasket for the rear cover, a trans filter, and 2 gallons of Hy-Tran, bill came to $82. The Hy-Tran was $21 bucks a gallon!!! OOOUCH !!!!!!!
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

aar
First and Last Name: Craig Armfield

Re: Ooouch!!!!!

Post by aar »

That's ridiculous!

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Maybe ridiculous but ,the best I have found here is, (737-3121) Hy-Tran $35.82 per gallon and a (923-3014) Cub trans filter at $11.60 each :!: I feel your pain :(
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

We use the hytran at work, I use the green bucket of coastal. Not to spill the oil................... again
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

The last hytran i bought was in may,i got a 5 gal. bucket for $64.50 at local cub dealer,guess i should of gotten more if price has jumped that much.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Part # 737-3121 is not HyTran; it is "Drive System Fluid Plus", which is what they specified for newer machines, such as the 2000 series. I believe it is at least partially a synthetic, which is one reason for the high price. You shouldn't be using this unless you have a newer machine that requires it.

HyTran gallon part number is 737-3062 ($21 at my dealer), and the HyTran quart is 737-3025.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Sure makes it hard to justify regular maintenance to keep the Cubs running right. It jumped considerably here too. Last spring I put all new filter, hytran, and pump gasket on my 782 when I was just getting it up and running. A little under $50 if I remember right. Now that same procedure hits a little over $60 I found out this past summer. I think I said heck with it and strained the old fluid. Hy-Tran up $5 a gallon, gasket one or two, and filter up $3 or something.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I bought an air filter for the E Z Rake and it was 20.01.To me it's another sign that Kohler is telling us to buy new stuff instead of 30,40,50 year old equipment.I realize as the number of sales go down prices go up and I guess I have a choice....if they had not built such darn good stuff back the :x

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

It wasn't just Kohler that built good stuff, my David Bradley has a 1952 Model 8 B&S motor that runs like a top. The newer motors just don't last like that any more.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The "drive system plus" I'm pretty sure is full synthetic.

You guys do realize that the fluid doesn't need to be changed regularly? It isn't like engine oil that needs to be changed every time. The transaxles don't get the contaminants that combustion causes in an engine. If you just bought the tractor and don't know its history, by all means change the fluid. But if it's one that you have previously changed within the last five years or so, just change the filter and top it off. If it is one you mow with regularly and it gets under a good load from time to time the heat will keep the moisture boiled out.

If you read the owners manual it only says to change the filter and at what intervals. It doesn't specify to EVER change the fluid. But IH didn't figure on these tractors still being used 30-40 years later. So a lot of them got neglected and didn't even get the filter changed. A lot of POs didn't know there was a filter.The fluid will eventually "wear out" and need changed. But not every year (unless you put like a thousand hrs on in one year).

But a lot of us as collectors have taken it to the extreme in the other direction by changing the fluid every year or 100 hrs.
Which is really a waste of money. I think we are best off to strike a happy medium by changing the filter every 100 hrs or so then changing the fluid at 500 hrs or 5 years.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

I chanced mine when I bought it, and since it was in such poor condition when I bought it, I had planned on changing it again just to make sure it was clean. I didn't see any gel inside this time, I did see some last time. So I should be able to go many years now without a change.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

jswordy
First and Last Name: Jim Steele

Post by jswordy »

IMHO, you get the best deal on Hytran if you go to an IH dealer, not a Cub Cadet dealer, and buy the fiver. Most of us are so addicted we NEED the fiver, anyway! :lol:

Yes, it has jumped, but so has the price of regular motor oil.

Those who find a better deal on Dexron or Dexron III auto tranny fluid can use that and just keep quiet about it. :D

As far as filters, go to your O'Reilly Auto Parts or NAPA and get a WIX filter for much less. WIX is one of the highest quality filters you can buy, and it is all I use. If you go to NAPA, get the NAPA brand, which is made by WIX. Bring your Kohler filter number and they will cross it, or they can look it up by CC model and engine in a BOOK. (Yes, a genuine book, not the computer. Amazing!) Sometimes it is a next-day order for some of the more exotic ones, but all the filters I use are in stock at my O'Reilly.

WIX makes oil filters for our newer CC's and hydro hydraulic filters, too.
"There's yer trouble, right there!"

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

bcuster wrote:Is there a part number for the 5 gal bucket by chance??
Just walk into a CaseIH or Case dealership and ask for a 5 gallon bucket of Hytran.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Sounds like you went to a Cub Cadet dealership and not a CaseIH dealership.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

bermuda-ken
First and Last Name: Kenneth Updike

Post by bermuda-ken »

As others have mentioned, that dealer is VERY uninformed as to the correct oil to use. The CCC terminology for the Hytan oil equivalent is Hydraulic Transmission Fluid (has a red stripe on the label). The Newer CCC (post 2000 built) use the Drive System Fluid Plus...10w40 synthetic blend. This has a green stripe on the label.

These two oils are not the same.

For many of the parts used on the older IH built cub cadets, a CIH dealer is the place to go.

For example.....

737-3035....5 gal CCC hydro trans oil....$ 79
372725R7.....5 gal HY-TRAN oil.....$ 76

737-3062......1 gal CCC hydro oil.....$ 21
139029A2.....1 gal Hytran oil......$ 20

IH-350837-R3....CCC rear cover gasket.....$ 14.50
350837R3........CIH rear cover gasket......$ 8

many of the dual branded parts are just CIH parts repackaged....