100 drive shaft

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

100 drive shaft

Post by vince_o »

Could someone give me the over all length of a drive shaft for a 100 please. I have 2 on the shelf and I want to be sure I have the right length for the one thats in the shop for repairs.

TIA
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: 100 drive shaft

Post by Paul B »

Vince,
I just bought one for a 100 from Mid West Super Cub and it is 18-1/4". Course you could take the 2 you have and match them up to the one from the 100 that in the shop for repairs........
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Paul thanks, but I dont want to tear into the one in the shop till I have the parts so I dont tie up space. Also I have to qoute the job first as it need steering work bushing in the 3 pin driver, fuel tank, I think Frank is a little nervous of me sweating the tank apart to fix where the fuel come out. I knew I had some here but didnt know what they fit, NF or WF's. Also i have to go to school next week and a trans mission rebuild from a member her to do, a honda valve job for some one that lurks here. So Ill be busy, wanna come help? :dontknow: :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Vince,
Be careful.
You will be amazed by the amount of BOOM! a totally empty gas tank can produce when sweating it apart
Do it outside, face the filler spout away from you, and wear glasses. Make that a face shield instead :shock:

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Thanks Ken, Ive done a few when Eric Lewis was still posting. I followed his instructions and, well Im still here, the short hair is my choice!
-Andrew Jackson

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

What you can do to make it safer is to fill with it an enert gas like argon or co2. Hook a hose to the gas line at the bottom and let it fill the tank so that no oxygen is left inside. I believe CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so leave the tank upright, you may want to partial cover the filler neck to keep as much CO2 inside the tank, as you can. I have seen this done on much bigger tanks and it has worked just fine. If you have no oxygen inside it can not explode. But do be careful.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Vince if yer splitting the tank it will be easy to clean out . throw some baking soda and a shot of vinegar in it make sure petcock is open or removed put the cap on the gas fumes will be chased out by the carbon dioxide.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Ok so yesterday I tore into the 100 at work. The main failure was that the throw out berring was in backwards! It ate into the clutch hanger, wore out the little U bracket on the dash tower. The clutch is brand new and so it the hanger and U bracket. So looks like someone tried to save a dollare and ended up costing them a bunch. When I first looked at this to do the quote, I thought Id need a drive shaft. Its a bit worn, nothing that wont work, but the pinion shaft is shot! The hole looks as round as a football used on a game on Sunday.

Anyway, I rebuilt the clutch, bronze bushing in the 3 pin driver, cleaned and adjusted the steering, cleaned out the steering spindles. All I have left to do is put the fuel tank on from Lew, and a good pinion shaft in from Westfall. Its been a long time since I got this covered in oil and dirt, and I washed the thing before I brought it in the shop!

Today its Toros and big box store junk! :roll:
-Andrew Jackson