Continuous Thread Shooting The Breeze, Just Like Old Times

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Re: Continuous Thread Shooting The Breeze, Just Like Old Tim

Post by Scott C. »

I am waiting for my connection to Pittsburgh via Houston (go figure). I fly to Houston, can't get a direct back to Pittsburgh, gotta go through Atlanta or somewhere, but I leave Oklahoma City and go to Houston then direct to Pgh :lol:
Anyhow, just had a ribeye sandwich and onion rings and, I am absolutely certain that I ate enough grease to power a 782D long enough to cut my front yard :roll:
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

United screwed up and was over an hour late, which made me miss my connection in Houston. So, I'm sitting here waiting for a 7pm flight into Pgh by 11, Grrrrr........
Had some good Texas food though, brisket, ribs and pulled pork, a three meat plate. Texas does have its fine points!

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

I've taken a week and a half off, and I thought today I would throw the tiller on the back of the Cub till the pumpkin patch. I may have to sell my TroyBilt, I like the Cub tiller better.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Pat

Dont sell the troybilt. Then are good machines, youll miss it one day. I do see you have a few of them.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

The Cub with Tiller has 2 advantages a seat and a steering wheel. LOL No I would never sell my TB, but the 1A Tiller will sure spoil you.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Amigatec wrote:The Cub with Tiller has 2 advantages a seat and a steering wheel. LOL No I would never sell my TB, but the 1A Tiller will sure spoil you.
I've used both. It's much easier using the 1A than the TB
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

Well I changed the Oil in the 129, tightened the bolts on the rear cover, added some Hytrans, gave her a greasing. Replaced the front wheel bearings that went out a few months ago, readjusted the the Hydro linkage, gave it a good washing, and did a test fit with the tire chains. I have the QA42A mounted, (I know i probably won't need it until winter, but what the heck).

Mowed the grass with my trusty ol' Snapper RER, and managed to knock the bearings out of the mower deck. Luckily I have a extra deck with good bearings. A few years ago I bought some foam filled tires for the front of the Snapper and mounted those today. They come with 4.10/3-50-4 on the front and if they get just a little bit low, they come off the rim. These tires will never go flat. They ride a bit rougher they the old tires, but it turns so much better.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I Had a Gottcha this morning. Yesterday I got my pressure washing running and Ted was outsiide so I started cleaning him up a little. Can you guess what happen this morning :oops:

Let some people guess that don't know :?: :lol: :roll:

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

Well I have spent the last two days replacing the windows the Tornado took out. I'm not much of a wood butcher but it least they slid up and down.

Here's the picture,

I have some hardyboard siding to go on next.

Last edited by Amigatec on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

wdeturck wrote:I Had a Gottcha this morning. Yesterday I got my pressure washing running and Ted was outsiide so I started cleaning him up a little. Can you guess what happen this morning :oops:

Let some people guess that don't know :?: :lol: :roll:
I couldn't say for sure but Mine got me twice yes twice ,.. because I wasn't watching the pressure hose as I was not realizing I encircled the washer motor and the hose got up against the muffler burning it through to the shield but it sprayed like a water fountain.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Sorry Jim but this happens mostly on Originals :mrgreen:

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Clutch stuck?
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Betcha any money!

When I first built IT, I started it in the garage and drove it right under the workbench because I'd got the clutch wet :o

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

And I betcha it will run into something when it starts before you can shut it off........Don't ask me which Original taught me that as it ran into the rear wall of the shed it was in.......
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

Why do you think every hood on every Original has a crinkle in it where the Bird hit the wall? Or why later grilles were reshaped so that the hood wasn't the first thing to hit?
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Ben Morong wrote:Why do you think every hood on every Original has a crinkle in it where the Bird hit the wall? Or why later grilles were reshaped so that the hood wasn't the first thing to hit?
Just a thought on this idea... Wonder if this was the reason to have some of the birds turned around in production may not cause as much damage ????
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The hood ornaments on the NF didn't hit the wall. You broke the casting :o

I was in the Work Shop and parked almost against a 8' table and shoved that in to the wall before it stalled. No hood damage. Another place it seems to happen is loading and unloading tilt trailers.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Geezer,

Did you ever find out who stole your washing machine out on the front lawn?
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

On the one long block where I live there is an auto repair shop at the corner and the scumbuckets that collect scrap ride past my house to look for scrap lying in the back of it.. That thing was heavy because it had dirt in it to grow flowers. I'm sure they ripped off the scrap dealer and got paid for the dirt :evil: I did call the police but they didn't want to check the scrapyards for a red, white & blue Ringer washer.

Scott C.

Taking Shortcuts

Post by Scott C. »

Here's what happens when you try to do things the easy way.
They turn into the hard way.
IMAG0036.jpg

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Hey Scott :? WHAT IS IT :roll:

Have you ever seen a 1/2 CUB CADET :?: :lol: Image
I always wanted one of these Post hole diggers

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Gezzer
That is the only photo I've ever seen of one on anything other then a 147. They work Great and are super rare! The owner who let me transport/test this told me that they only made around 175 of them and that was for all brands of Garden tractors. They where bought locally and modified to fit the tractor then shipped out as a dedicated post hole digg-er.
Attachments
DSCF2036 (Small).JPG
DSCF2052 (Small).JPG

EngineMike
First and Last Name: Michael Miner

Post by EngineMike »

Boy Joe...that picture brings back some memories! That's me on the right trying to think of a good story to tell the owner about how the tractor just fell off the trailer and he wasn't going to see his tractor ever again...

That's Joe on the left and our really good collector friend Fred D. in the middle. That's one of my favorite pictures, I think that was taken about...Fall 2008?

The sad part was the machine dug a hole like you wouldn't believe! Fred wanted to extend his deck out and Joe just happened to have the machine the same weekend. We were joking about breaking it and never finding parts to fix it. Thing never really batted an eye and we had alot of fun using it, probably hasn't been used since, I saw the owner a couple months back and forgot to ask him about it.

Fred actually owns the first Cub Cadet I ever had when I was a kid. It's a 61' Original, we traded it to the dealer for some work on a 125 in around 1993/4. The dealer's parts ladies son restored it and when her son passed away, Fred bought it from her. It took me another 15 years for me to find it again in Fred's hands. It's got a good home now and I told him when he was ready I would be more than happy to have it back in my garage. I keep giving him parts to put on it, I tell him i'm going to get them back anyways, why not give you them!

It's amazing how these little machines have brought me so many good times!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Joe you bring back memories for me also.
Mow Day 2003
Mow Day 2003
md8rs.JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
md9ls.JPG
md9ls.JPG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
mowday13.JPG
mowday11.JPG
md15joefinish.JPG
md15joefinish.JPG (26.14 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
mdgeorgeson.jpg
mdgeorgeson.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
taken at the Orange, MA show on sunday
taken at the Orange, MA show on sunday
I was trying to remember when I met Fred
md11fred.JPG
md11fred.JPG (31.8 KiB) Viewed 9756 times

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've replaced the pto button on my 73 three times already and I don't use it too terribly much. The chipper looks like it will be rough on the button since it spins some winding down after you disengage it. Decided I'd try my hand today with making a pto button out of brass on the lathe like I see some made. Took an hour to get it right and isn't perfect but I learned how to do it RIGHT the second time if I ever do this again to make it a nicer looking finished product.. Fits good and I'll install it on the 73 when I get a little time here.
Attachments
71 parts 001.jpg
71 parts 002.jpg
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

tmelton
First and Last Name: Trevor Melton

Post by tmelton »

Kevin,
Looks just like the ones i have bought on ebay. i'm sure its someone around here that makes them. Good job, always nice to have a new tool in the box.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

I believe I had to use the 71 to clear the drive 4 times this winter season. I'am not complaining. I have been sorta stalled on the 72 restore if you can call it that. Warmer weather would help with painting outdoors. Guess/hope to get the jump on the gardens this year too due to the mild-no winter. I also got some of those brass wear buttons. I figured I'd better get them since I had the chance. The 72 should be deceant when done. It will be set up with the 1a tiller. Better off riding something than this new front tine beats the heck out of me, but I manage and hang tuff.
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

What wears the buttons out is not having the steel button really round an free of marks. It's worth the effort to take the grill off and use a file and emery paper when the engine is running. If it's dinged up to much replace it. The Original buttons lasted a long time but once you break it it's going to get gouged up and the second one won't last long and will shorten the life of the bronze ones.

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

Them buttons do last a good time. Mine was fine on the 71 untill I got a hold of it. Now the steel thrust is cone shaped. One mistake after the fact was I didnot re-adjust the engaugement leaver. So now hope is lost untill I get another thrust and wear buttons. I dont know. I thought I set the ecentric bearing correctly according to Jim Steele's how to wright up. When time permits, I would like another look at the set up to have it working correctly would be nice. Its just a snow plow tractor any ways.

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

Where is the Registry gallery at? I had both my tractors there. All the models had their own page sorta speak. This was before the crash I guess. I thought it was neat anyhow.