SGT questions

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ihcubman
First and Last Name: Glenn Shaffer

SGT questions

Post by ihcubman »

I have been reading a lot of posts but this is my first time posting. I have been trying to figure out why 6" was added into the super tractors (sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it) Is it more to get the look right with the bigger tires, or just the better ride? It doesn't seem to be for attachments as far as I can tell. I figured out that they added it in the rear. They use the same frt sheet metal as the regular tractors correct? I am considering a diesel build and just wondering if I should add the extra length when I do it.

Thanks for any input.

Glenn
Friends don't let friends drive green tractors.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: SGT questions

Post by Farmallgray »

The extra length was needed for the 60" deck. It is a lot deeper front to back than the other decks.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

ihcubman

Post by ihcubman »

Oh, I forgot about the 60" deck.

Thanks,

Glenn

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

The larger deck is one reason. Also the length allows for better balance of the tractor with the larger tires and wider stance. Makes it more stable. It also makes it more comfortable to run for some folks.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

My Belly :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

ghennessy
First and Last Name: G Hennessy

Post by ghennessy »

Unless there's some history I'm not aware of, the 982 entered the market in 1979, with a 50A deck. The 60" Haban arrived much later under CCC, circa 1987.

The JD 400 was released in 1975 with a 60" shaft driven belly mower. It took over 5 years for IHC to respond with the 982, and far longer for the introduction of the Haban deck.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Greg

You kinda wonder what would have happened if Ih would have done the hard marketing that Deere did and where there tractors/mowers would have gone in the late 70's. I read or heard somewhere that they were concentrating more on the truck division. We know how that turned out.
-Andrew Jackson

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Also at about that time IH was having problem, this was the start of the end for IH.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

ghennessy wrote:Unless there's some history I'm not aware of, the 982 entered the market in 1979, with a 50A deck. The 60" Haban arrived much later under CCC, circa 1987.

The JD 400 was released in 1975 with a 60" shaft driven belly mower. It took over 5 years for IHC to respond with the 982, and far longer for the introduction of the Haban deck.
I have seen a few 982s, as well as other pre-1987 supers, with 60" decks. I can't imagine those were all retrofits.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

ghennessy wrote:Unless there's some history I'm not aware of, the 982 entered the market in 1979, with a 50A deck. The 60" Haban arrived much later under CCC, circa 1987.
It was available well before 1987. I have an 82 series brochure that lists the 60" deck as an option. The brochure has the 782D so it is probably from around 1983 or 1984. I figured it was available from the beginning of the 82 series but don't have any proof to back that up. As far as I know the Haban blade was the only one ever available for the 982 so I just thought is stood to reason that the Haban deck was available from the beginning too.

ghennessy
First and Last Name: G Hennessy

Post by ghennessy »

So we'll say 1983+ for the Haban deck. Interesting Todd! All my dealer pamphlets from the late 70s and early 80s through CCC's first in 1982 don't show the deck, but as you mention, include the blade.

My point notwithstanding, the 982 was not designed around the deck, it was fit after the fact. JD400 was fit with one from the get go as a standard item.

Yeah Vince, those trucks were great, huh? :D

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Greg,
If that is the case, it kind of makes one wonder why they did lengthen the frame. Just to make it look bigger and more brawny?
Maybe they had it in the works but weren't able to get it built right away for financial reasons?

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Greg

I wish I had 5 bucks for every international pay star Ive loaded over the years. Seems if it wasnt a pete, it was an paystar at the quarry I worked at.
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

vince_o wrote:Greg

I wish I had 5 bucks for every international pay star Ive loaded over the years. Seems if it wasnt a pete, it was an paystar at the quarry I worked at.
Quit yer gripen .. I started out on the V 190 models..triplex and quadroplex .. no brakes working in old Don Ankiny area in Avonmore. you drove new ones compared to those Pay Stars .

Will say they had good air conditioning depending if ya got em going fast enough in "Georgia overdrive" But both sides of the hood would get to flappin almost like it was trying to get airborne.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

WOOS1
First and Last Name: Steven Woosley

Post by WOOS1 »

ihcubman wrote:I am considering a diesel build and just wondering if I should add the extra length when I do it. Glenn
Glenn, just what are ya planning on building??

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I bought an early 83 with a 60" deck. I always just thought of the 982 as the next generation of garden tractors that IH was experimenting with. They tried the Cub Cadet period, hydrostat, side shields, noise reduction, etc. Next was the SGT for them. People want bigger tractors with better traction and stability and more ability but the days of farm tractors (the F-Cub and Lo-Boys) doing garden and yard work was disappearing. The 982 just replaces the 782 as the biggest they offered. By extending the frame, they can still use all the x82 parts and keep building costs down. You get bigger tires, wider and longer tractor, and new attachment options as well. It's just a bigger tractor altogether they could offer. They needed a lower-cost tractor for small farmers and introduced the Farmall Cub. They need a bigger tractor with greater ability for big home and business owners so they introduce the 982.
If it was built around anything I'd argue the Cat-0 hitch and implements for gardening and the tractor was probably focused on larger plantations and businesses as the target market.

NOTE: None of this is supported by fact, just my opinion if I were them in the 70's from a business standpoint.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

I met a tool and die maker a few years back that was responsible for the design of the 982. The engineers and powers that be at IH had all the plans in place to use a 782 frame and a Peerless transmission for the 982. The plan was to use some "straps" to extend the frame of the 782. The man I talked to (who has now passed away) designed tooling so the the 782 and 982 frames could both be made with the same tooling. He had to present his plan to the upper management before they would accept it. He received a $10,000 reward from IH for his design.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Paul

Straps and pearless = puke! Wow would that have been bad!
-Andrew Jackson

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Vince,
No worse than the 482's. Wait, how many of those are running and working compared to 682 and 782s? :lol:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

ihcubman

Post by ihcubman »

WOOS1 wrote:
ihcubman wrote:I am considering a diesel build and just wondering if I should add the extra length when I do it. Glenn
Glenn, just what are ya planning on building??
I have a Four cyl Kubota diesel that I am wanting to put in something. Haven't decided what yet, trying to figure that out. I have a 782 with a bad motor, thought about using that. Want something for plow days and garden work. Have an 1882 for mowing. Want hydraulics, three point, but haven't decided btwn stick or hydro. Just kind of planning / dreaming at the moment.

Glenn

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Kev

You really think that the pearless would have stood up the the abuse of the 982? If you think about it then it couldnt of had the pto off the back, or could it. I took Dannys 482 and slid a 124 rear under it, I know my son! LOL I saw a guy at one of my plow days tear up a peerless in a deere with 26 1212 pulling a plow. Im not sold on that tranny other than mowing.

Just something about the "straps" that scare me.

Glenn

Well you could go a couple of ways like your dreaming. I think, and dont quote me on this, but putting it in a hydro would be the easysest. But a gear drive diesel with a pump to run the hydro lift, now thats would be great!
-Andrew Jackson

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Vince,
No I don't think it would have held up. I was being sarcastic, as in "how many 482's still run and cut" which isn't many and most 682's and 782's still out cut most of today's new mowers. Granted part of that was an irreplaceable Briggs motor.
On a side note, surely they wouldn't have used the same rear-end. It only went about 4mph if I remember right.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

OH :stupid: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

ihcubman

Post by ihcubman »

I was thinking gear drive (I have a few old cast rear ends in the barn) would be cool. but it would be easier to go hydro as all the parts are there. I also have an old low boy rear that I thought about turning the drop boxes and making a "high crop", that would be different. It would also have more ground clearance. I don't know, lots of ideas, won't really know until I get it started.

Glenn

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

ihcubman wrote:I was thinking gear drive (I have a few old cast rear ends in the barn) would be cool. but it would be easier to go hydro as all the parts are there. I also have an old low boy rear that I thought about turning the drop boxes and making a "high crop", that would be different. It would also have more ground clearance. I don't know, lots of ideas, won't really know until I get it started.

Glenn
If you have the whole lowboy ya may want to build a crawler .. I can't find the pic right now but ask Ray W. I believe he has a pic of it.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

ihcubman

Post by ihcubman »

All I have is the trans with drop boxes, I picked up at the antique tractor auction a couple of years ago. You know how it is "That would be great for....". It has been patiently waiting for the right project. Crawler would be cool but I don't think I have the patience (or time)to build something like that. It would be cool to know how they did the steering for that though.

Glenn

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Jacobsen built a model in the late 70s called the "heavy duty" that was 20 hp and I'm pretty sure it used a Peerless axle with an Eaton hydro. This would not have been the same as the gear drive unit that the 482 used. I wouldn't be surprised if the 400 series green tractors and some of the other similar sized tractors used the same unit. The Jacobsens were good stout true garden tractors. Even the units in the 482 were pretty strong. I have never seen one broke.
The belt was the weak point, not the transaxle.

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

The first 982's used a # 54b IH blade,the mounting frame and lift assbly are unique to the early 982.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Todd

For some reason when I hear peerless I think of the green 1xx and 2xx mowers.
-Andrew Jackson

WOOS1
First and Last Name: Steven Woosley

Post by WOOS1 »

Mcamp wrote:The first 982's used a # 54b IH blade,the mounting frame and lift assbly are unique to the early 982.
That is interesting. I am wanting a power blade for my 982. I did not realize there were differences. I actually found one for a 2182 and was told it would fit????? So what are the differences and how do you identify between the two?