382 (mostly) questions...carb? ignition?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Bill Decker
First and Last Name: Bill Decker

382 (mostly) questions...carb? ignition?

Post by Bill Decker »

So today Junior and his buddy drag in a 382 and a 107 they collected. The 382 runs and drives, but has some serious carb issues...dropped the bowl, NO gasket, and when I pulled the carb, no gasket on the manifold and the rubber boot from the crank breather vent was rotten. My question for the 382, anyone know the PN for the carb kit, gasket, and can I get just the rubber boot or is it only available with the breather assembly? I suppose I could dig it up easily enough but I figured someone may have it right there. It really is a nice little tractor, the deck is solid and has had the spindles replaced very recently. It will probably do fine for my little yard, and I like it just because it's cute.

The 107 has been parked for a long time, and needs a seat and a good cleaning. However, after checking the oil, and a bit of fresh fuel, it fired up and ran very well. It has a spring assist, and the tin is straight, no smoke other than the smell of baking mouse, so THAT needs to be fixed. So the deck does it's thing, but the drive linkage is frozen tight, wont move a bit. It seems like the brake pedal is a bit too 'free", so i am thinking it may be that the linkage there is frozen. Any other common places for these to get monkeyed up? Suggestions?
Last edited by Bill Decker on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: 382 and 107 questions

Post by mgonitzke »

The best way to make sure you get the right parts for the carb is to take all of the numbers off of the engine to a small engine place so they can look them up. Unlike Kohler, Briggs made about 300,000 different carb variations over the years... :lol:
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Got Pictures of your find?? :D :D :D
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

I have found most of the carbs for B&S are close to being the same. The carb on my Snapper came from a 12.5 HP and the motor is only a 11.5, didn't do a thing to it, just bolted it up.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Carb Kit 394698
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/pro ... =BS-394698

$26.96 Direct from CC/MTD

Breather tube is 692253
http://www.m-and-d.com/BS-692253.html

$3.89 Direct from CC/MTD

http://www.cubcadet.com/
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

Thanks for those PN's. I got the 107 linkage freed up, simply lifted the rear of the Cub on the hoist, and took a long bar and a BFH. Gave it a littled tap to see if there was anything moving at all and the doggone thing started to free up. Funny that it dodn't move with a LOT of force on the handle, but a little shock value goes a long way. Got a little lubrication on the moving parts and it works well, runs and drives great. Not too sure if I want to sell it, or keep as a backup to the 123 for snow duty. Going to go chase the parts for the 382 and get the carb straightened out. I will try to get some pictures later today. Good to have greasy fingers again.Thanks again, folks.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Greasy fingers... What, did Vince stop by with a bucket-o-chicken ?? :shock:
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

Sooo...hitting the wall with the 382. Rebuilt the carb, swapped oil, flushed fuel tank, cleaned mouse world out from under the covers. Still running lousy. Acts like it's loading up on fuel, but then pops and farts through exhaust and carb as well, then runs fine for 3-4 minutes, until it starts to break up again. If it was an old Chevy 6, I'd say it had a bad cap or someone drew a pencil line across the cap...almost seems like it's crossfiring. So, timing issues? Coil breakdown? One friend suggested a crakcase pressure issue? It seems to be running rich. It's small engine 101, but this one seems to be eluding me. Ideas?

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

Does this have the carb on top of the tank?? What size B&S is this?
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

Nope, carb is the "Large" flojet, tank is separate. 252707 model, 10/11HP series. Gotta be something simple. If I can track doen my old flywheel knocker, I will give the ignition a looking at.

Amigatec

Post by Amigatec »

I have one like that on my Troybilt Tiller, had something in the carb that just would not come out. It had a very dirty tank and something broke loose and got stuck in the carb. $180 and a new carb later it was running like new.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse

lonnyb
First and Last Name: Lonny Buttke

Post by lonnyb »

Seems theses little Briggs motors in the older cadets have the same problem, as the 383 hysro I have is sitting out in the weeds in need of a rebuilding or replaceing of the carb.

Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

I still think its carburetion issues, although maybe it's the magneto. I replced the needle and seat, because the Viton tip was grooved. Reset the float, all correct. pulled the carb back off and looked closer, at some time someone tried to pull the main jet and stripped the screwdriver slot. Any tricks to get them out? I think this may be the culprit, because the jet is galled badly, and it does seem to idle OK, only acts up on the high speed jet. The governor keeps trying to compensate for fuel flow as it should, but the engine goes lean due to flow restriction, the governor tries to dump fuel, and floods the motor...so before I swap out a $40 mag, I'd like try this fix.

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Re: 382 (mostly) questions...carb? ignition?

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Bill, Our local mower repair shop boils their disassembled carbs in lemon juice for about 20 minutes each. REALLY cleans the carbs out!
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....

Bill Decker

Re: 382 (mostly) questions...carb? ignition?

Post by Bill Decker »

Update, I tore the carb back down and put it into the solvent can for a couple of days. Had to use an EZ-Out to get the buggered up main jet out, and put in the new one. Buttoned it all back up, and it seems to have done the trick. I understand these FloJets are really touchy about dirt in the little passages in the body, and my results seem to bear that out. A really good soaking in the TSC parts cleaner can and a bunch of compressed air is a good way to get them percolating. Nice little tractor. If things were better in the cookie jar, I would hang onto it, and/or the 107. Alas, that's not to be, so they are over in the selling section. I can always find another generic grass beater in the spring, after Santa has his way with me.