Snow Thrower question

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Snow Thrower question

Post by albie »

I have been getting my 1650 ready for winter by installing the QA42A I purchased this spring. The thrower went on good and works smooth but it only raises off the ground about 1 inch when I raise it. Is this normal or should it go higher? I also tried the PO mod that lengthens the lift arm on the thrower and uses chain instead of a rod but it is no different. Any thoughts?
105 147 1650 382 782D

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Re: Snow Thrower question

Post by kbrothers »

AQlbie I think when my 1250 acted that way it was apartially sheared pin on the rockshaft? Ken in Pa

Binder_Finder
First and Last Name: Tom Cahill

Post by Binder_Finder »

Albie there is a good chance that there is a pivoting bracket on the thrower that is not in the correct position. I have seen this twice on QA42A's that wouldn't lift. I can help with pictures tomorrow as I just put my new one on my 149 today.
If the price is right...

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

This is how I fixed mine. It lifts up now.

CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

checked my lift on my 1650 today and found spirol pin from rockshaft to plow/thrower lift broken,came out in 3 pieces, now alls well. Thanks Ken. :beer:
105 147 1650 382 782D

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Post by kbrothers »

Albie I musta finally got one right Have a great day!

tmelton
First and Last Name: Trevor Melton

Post by tmelton »

I just put a QA 36 A on my 149 and it wont move off the ground at all. Can someone show me this shear pin to look for in the previous post or some other thoughts. I have hydraulic lift on my tractor so none of the previous pictures show anything out of the orderary to me.I checked fluid and its full, also i just bought this 149 and the PO had just removed the deck so the mule drive was still on so i removed that. I Just dont understand the reason for not lifting up.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Trevor,pull the tunnel cover and you should see if the rock shaft is moving or if something is out of whack.You could have the same pin issue as Albie or something else could be bent/broken.

tmelton

Post by tmelton »

OK i pulled the tunnel cover off. everything moves i assume the way it should. 2 things i have seen to add here if i put a bolt in the float lock out it will bend the rod when hooked up the the snow blower going down, but i cant even begin to pick up the blower with the lift arm attached. the rock shaft does move fine without the lift arm attached. Just stumped because of my unfamiliarity with the wide frame hydraulics. i pulled the cover off of my 1650 and it seems everything is ok. about ready to take the blower off and sell it at this point.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Tevor,it sounds like you may have the wrong length lift rod.With the lift rod loose at the lift plate on the tractor run the hydraulics to the lowered position.Is the end of the lift rod close?If not the rod is too long.
Don't give up.....it may take some work to get the thrower working but I would pick a thrower over a blade any day for snow.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I agree with Mike.
Others have reported lifting travel issues in the past because the wrong lift rod was being used, if I'm not mistaken there were at least 3 lengths made.
I wanted to counter that issue and was looking for more than a chain.
A length of black pipe with bungs welded into both ends and then drilled and tapped allow short threaded sections to be screwed in. The end sections are machine tool studs that were heated and bent at 90 degrees, then cross drilled for pins.
With this setup I can obtain any length from 26 1/2" to 32". Also, it is far more rigid than any 1/2" solid lift rod.
Just take a look at the mix of stuff going on here :shock:
DSCN0261.JPG

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Ken,nice work.
no snow to blow,just leaves

tmelton

Post by tmelton »

The Good news is i have figured out the proper length of lift rod to be 26 inches, I used a radiator clamp and piece of chain to test it out, but that clamps not made for that and the tiny shackle that i have wont fit on the blower end like the pictures above. so now the bad news. as i was testing this out i had the tunnel cover off and a wrench fell in and knocked off all but 1 blade on the cooling fan. Tractor goes 30 some years and i ruined it in 3 seconds, and the other bad news i modified the lift rod and the first time still a bit too long, so heated up again with the map gas torch bent it again and now 3/4 of an inch too short. Anyway i guess tommorrow i'm going to find a piece of crap pipe or iron at work and make a new one, and then finally hook up the belt and get ready for Fridays snow. Since i goofed up with the fan and since i have one in stock how hard is that to change. can i just unbolt the rag joint and pull it off or is there more too it than that?

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Trevor,good to hear you got it figured out.I wouldn't sweat the fan,I'm sure there are lots of hydros running loose without a fan.If you have a warm shop to work in go ahead and change it or wait until spring.

tmelton

Post by tmelton »

The blower is up and running. I decided against changing the fan tonight. i figure this summer when i get time i can take the fenders off and power wash the pump and change fluids and oil before mowing season. Anyway the 105 is outfitted with chains and snow plow, and now the 149 is outfitted with ag tires, and QA 36A snow blower with drift cutters so i guess i finally have a snow team ready for the sky to fall. Thanks to all the guys who chimmed in on the the lift problems. Its amazing how much 1/2 inch in the lift rod can mean 3-4 inches of lift in the blower.