1961 cub lawn mower serial #6157

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
charlieo81
First and Last Name: Charlie Outen

1961 cub lawn mower serial #6157

Post by charlieo81 »

I have a 1961 cub lawn tractor serial number 6175, the best I can tell from looking up the numbers this tractor was produced in April 1961. It has the large bore 7 hp kohler motor in running order. It has set for about 2 years. Carb was rebuilt and was running and mowing great at that time. I bought this from the original owner and it has been garage kept its whole life. The paint is original and shows its age. I was just seeing what this may be worth and if anyone is interested. I have read that the lower serial number (3-4 number) tractors are worth more? If anyone would be interested please send me an email at sc81ag@yahoo.com or give me a call at 336-529-9743. The tractor is located in kernersville, nc.

Charlie,
This section of the board is for talking about Toy tractors. I moved your post to the Cub Cadets and shooting the breeze section.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Re: 1961 cub lawn mower serial #6157

Post by vince_o »

Charlie

I would guess its what someone is willing to pay. Its hard to say, Ive sold just a frame for 350 bucks, that was a 4 digit.Then Again, Ive sold a complete roller, bad eng for 150 for a 4 digit. Bought both for 100.00 With the way money is right now, the prices are way low. Alot depends on the options that are on the tractors too. I think the Scott Cooper sold a bunch of plain cco's for about 250 to 350. The 3 cco's I sold to buy my Wheel Horse, I had 2 offers for 1000.00 at a show this fal, with the deck and plow. I personaly wouldnt pay that much for a tractor, like this, but someone was willing to. Also have a friend that paid a lot of money for a 149 with tiller and plow. But he felt that he needed it real bad.

So Did I confuse you any more? :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

charlieo81 wrote:I have a 1961 cub lawn tractor serial number 6175, the best I can tell from looking up the numbers this tractor was produced in April 1961. It has the large bore 7 hp kohler motor in running order. It has set for about 2 years. Carb was rebuilt and was running and mowing great at that time. I bought this from the original owner and it has been garage kept its whole life. The paint is original and shows its age. I was just seeing what this may be worth and if anyone is interested. I have read that the lower serial number (3-4 number) tractors are worth more? If anyone would be interested please send me an email at sc81ag@yahoo.com or give me a call at 336-529-9743. The tractor is located in kernersville, nc.

Charlie,
This section of the board is for talking about Toy tractors. I moved your post to the Cub Cadets and shooting the breeze section.
That Original might be worth more than the ones that have "collars" on the spindles up to about SN10,6xx because it has been left Original. Do you have the original books and paperwork. The 3 digit proto types are worth more and the 3 digits because they started at 800 to 999 because there are not many of those.

charlieo81

Post by charlieo81 »

I didn't get any paperwork with the tractor. The only thing that is has on it is the mowing deck and it is in working order o

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Geezer,
Uhhhh, you got me confused about the collars and the 800-999 serial numbers, you want to try that again????
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Paul B wrote:Geezer,
Uhhhh, you got me confused about the collars and the 800-999 serial numbers, you want to try that again????
I'm saying that the early "Original" seemed to be considered up to SN10322 which have the collars pinned on to the spindles. I think the first tractor off the line in Louisville was SN800 so there are only 200 3 digits. Seems like there were 12 hand-built tractors 400-411 and 25 pre-production Tractors that were used to set up the line then sent to different places to be tested(801-826). I tried to remember this as I thought I got most of the information from the information you got from IH archives. Sorry about the confusion.

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

Sure now you tell me. I just sold 7XX. :cry:

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Geezer,
OK, you are close. Not sure where you got that 800 was the first off the line.

There were 10 Prototypes built at Louisville, S/N 409 is one of those. S/N 411 is believed to be one of the 3 reported experimentals models (there may have only been 1 built, not 3 as IH records state) hand built by the Advanced Projects Group at the IH Hinsdale engineering center. When the engineering center was done with the testing, the tractors were sold to employee's and the 4XX S/N was stamped on the tractor, beginning with S/N 401. 411 was the last of these tractors sold, and was bought by Product Test Engineer David L. Stevenson for used by his father-in-law. Harold Schramm bought the tractor in 2003. Prior to the 4XX numbers being stamped in the tractors they were tracked by an engineering tag referred to as a "Q" tag affixed to them (409was QFE-1911 and it's mower deck was QFE-2594) and these "Q" tags were removed when the 4XX numbers was stamped. This is documented by a letter from David Stevenson to Harold Schramm, in reference to 411.

There were 25 preproduction tractors (S/N 501-525) built and sent to the southern states for field testing. The tractors were basically the same as the production version. In addition, additional tractors were built to get the assembly line set up, and piece work prices established, using S/N's 526 through 589. It is not known if all these S/N were used. Production officially began with S/N 590, not 800, so there was some where over 400 3 digit S/N's built.

I would say any of the 3 digit number tractors would bring a higher price than a "run of the mill" Original, and one with a S/N below 590 would bring an additional premium.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

charlieo81

Post by charlieo81 »

Is there any thought as to what this tractor is worth in working order in need of some bodywork on the hood and a repaint? I am looking to get this sold in the near future to fund some other projects. I can not figure out how to post pics but if someone would like pics I can email or text them. Again fellas, thanks for your time and input.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Good info Paul.

Mike Magoo...
You should have kept your 7xx,I talked to the buyer and you sold it to,he got a great deal!!!