PTO missing?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
MGlenn
First and Last Name: Michael Glenn

PTO missing?

Post by MGlenn »

My Original that I just purchased does not have a PTO clutch like I have seen on this forum in other topics. Mine just has the belt go down from the engine past the two pulleys and then to the mower deck. I have a pedal that engages the mower belts to drive blades. Is this the way it should be, or did someone make a cheap fix by eliminating the PTO clutch?
Mike in Ypsi

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: PTO missing?

Post by ksanders »

The Original doesn't have a pto clutch up front. It only has a pulley on the motor and the pedal engages the deck. What you might have seen on here is a few of us discussing a RARE option offered later to convert the Original to a pto clutch. I put one on mine recently and just got done with that actually and I know a couple other members here with that option on their CCO. They honestly don't have a lot of practical use unless you want to till with it or something. To answer your question though, your CCO is correct and not missing anything.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Kevin S.: Did you get your grill and engagement rod on with the belt over the pulley? I was paying with mine when I was putting it back together and found out if you slide the rod to the right and just loosen the turn buckle to give you room to slip the belt over(it will help if you loosen the four grill bolts) but the belt can be put on and off.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Geezer, I actually don't even have a belt yet. I was going to get one at the parts store, but didn't remember the exact length and wasn't cutting grass anyway. That's as far as I got. The way it is now, there's no way to get the belt on without loosening the grill I believe. I squeezed everything just right to make it fit without cutting the grill... even making a custom "cut off" grill screen brace with a bolt and washer on the bottom of the grill. Now that I think about it, I forgot to post the pictures I took, but it looks good and I DIDN'T have to cut the grill any. (not to steal this thread I guess :shock: ) This way, the grill brace looks normal from the outside and the pto button safely clears the clutch by a millimeter or two.
Attachments
info pics 002.jpg
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

MGlenn
First and Last Name: Michael Glenn

Post by MGlenn »

So does the belt to the mower always continue to run? Or does the engage pedal tighten the belt to then start turning?

I guess I tore mine apart so fast I really didn't figure out how the tractor actually is suppose to work.

It is much different than the Wheel Horse at my parents house that I use.

Much thanks for the answers so far. You'll get me up to speed sooner or later.

What I see so far is a well engineered tractor. Unlike new ones today that are wore out in ten years or less.
Mike in Ypsi

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Yes, the belt always turns down to the mower. Engaging that pedal just slides the center pulley on the deck over to tighten a second belt, which starts to turn the deck spindles. Then of course you have that timed belt that attaches the 2 spindles. The decks are quite a bit of work to get working if they ever set outside, but nice when together and working right. Not the quickest tractor to cut with, but lays down a beautiful cut. The original Cub Cadets are definitely one of a kind.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Know I know this may be a little more work.How about slipping off the clutch belt, then unbolting the motor to install the belt? :?:

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The bad part of the Original mower set up is that it's almost impossible to stop the blades when the pedal is pulled up and the belt loosens. When I had my Original Ted going to shows I would take the blades off so if someone put there foot in the discharge they wouldn't get cut. I even had the hard to find spring guard on my chute.

Lew: The secret on the belt change seems to be to loosen the turnbuckle to get more room for the belt to slip past afte you slide the arm to the right. Your idea will work.