Carb ??? hints tips ??

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
huntingslife
First and Last Name: Michael Schomaker

Carb ??? hints tips ??

Post by huntingslife »

all right guys almost have my 125 in running working order ( full resto on hold , i need to cut the grass lol) i have all the manuels and tuning the carb and governeris a little vauge, i see the resetting governer steps and i will follow those but i also had to replace the throttle cable also and its lile im starting from scratch any tips and hints would be most graciously appreciated :beer:
1969 125 IH #2 tiller IH Snow Thrower IH blade
1967 125 IH #1 tiller IH Blade
1969 124 Creeper

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Carb ??? hints tips ??

Post by ksanders »

Loosen the governor arm and put the throttle at full. Hold the governor rod with a pliers and while holding the throttle shaft all the way open twist the governor shaft with the pliers all the way counter-clockwise then tighten the governor arm.
As for the carb, 2 turns on the top screw, 1-1/4 turns on the air. While running I turn the main top screw out until it starts to flood and sputter a little then back in until it smooths out. A little more fuel usual makes it run richer and not get as hot as running it lean. Then adjust the air screw second until it smooths out and the governor doesn't hunt any.

Then just set the low idle as low as you want it and adjust the throttle cable to where it revs as high as you want it and no higher. That's how I do them all.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

huntingslife

Post by huntingslife »

thank you very much this will be very helpful
1969 124 Creeper

huntingslife

Post by huntingslife »

so i cut the grass for the first time last night with my 125 "yay" it seemed to run a little hot i tried playing with the air adj screw in the carb but im not really sure .. i think maybe i had it throttled up too high i lowerd the throttle and it seemed to run much cooler but what kind of speed or rpm should i be running with a load i.e. deck, tiller, whats too high rpm and whats too low and is there an easy way to check the rpm??? confused ???? :?
1969 124 Creeper

LEVI
First and Last Name: Levi Day

Post by LEVI »

The only way you can accurately measure engine speed is with a tachometer. You can buy one off Amazon or a similar site for around $25. Here's the one I bought. It worked good for the price.http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo-Las ... 556&sr=8-4

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

If the points aren't set correctly a K series Kohler engine will run hot. The points should be .020 but try .019 to about .022 and see if it runs any cooler. I set my points on a 7 HP K-161 test engine using a timing light. When you set the high speed under load(deck turning) set the throttle a slight bit richer to keep the engine from running lean when you cut high grass. lean engines run hot.

ridgerunner97
First and Last Name: Jon Pechunka

Post by ridgerunner97 »

By changing the gap of the points your effectively changing the timing correct? I know when I got my 123 it was running extremely hot with a burnt valve as well. We richened the carb and correctly set the points and it runs wonderfully now after replacing the valve.

LEVI
First and Last Name: Levi Day

Post by LEVI »

The Kohler K301 in your 125 is rated to spin at 3600.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

If you're running gas that has alcohol in it the engine will also run leaner and hotter. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to find a fully adjustable carb for the 22 horse in my Cyclops.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Steve,
Lakota Racing sells a kit to add a main adjuster to the command carbs. It eliminates the shut off solenoid.
I don't see it listed on their website but a buddy of mine got one for his Command puller from them.
http://www.lakotaracing.com/carburetors.htm
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

wdeturck wrote:If the points aren't set correctly a K series Kohler engine will run hot. The points should be .020 but try .019 to about .022 and see if it runs any cooler. I set my points on a 7 HP K-161 test engine using a timing light. When you set the high speed under load(deck turning) set the throttle a slight bit richer to keep the engine from running lean when you cut high grass. lean engines run hot.
I got my 128 with the 42" deck cutting grass yesterday and I checked the head temperature after setting the carb and it was about 189 F with my HF non laser heat gauge and went out and cut my grass(5/8 acre) and checked the head temperature when I shut it off and it was 144 F. This tractor used to get really hot till I got the points set correctly.

huntingslife

Post by huntingslife »

Man you guys are awesome glad i became a member thanks a lot I got the "yellow" fever and am learning as i go ....
1969 124 Creeper

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Geezer is awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson