HELP, my 1650 rear end locked up

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
GatorDave
First and Last Name: Dave Grimley

HELP, my 1650 rear end locked up

Post by GatorDave »

hi guys well looks like i need some knowledge again. I was taking trash out with the 1650 the other day, i backed it up from the road then put it in forward, it went about 25 feet and stopped dead. I had to drag it back to the shed with the truck, whatever it is, the differential seems ok because one wheel went forward and the other spun in reverse. depressing the release valves made no difference. in neutral the drive shaft was turning the pump and the hydraulic lift was working. I know i need to split it and look in there but i was hoping someone might have had something similar happen to them so i wouuld have more of an exact idea of what to look for so i could prepare myself for the cost of parts thanks in advance
Nothing works like a Cub!

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Re: HELP, my 1650 rear end locked up

Post by mmzullo »

Just pull the cover off the rear and maybe something got jammed in the ring gear

GatorDave

Post by GatorDave »

thanks, ill check that first, i was thinking that if the ring gear had issues both wheels would be locked, ive never messed with trannies or differentials before, but that sure would be the cheapest problem i could hope for and i guess one way or the ther i'm going to lose my virginity.. :roll:

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Dave

Dont take all the cover plate bolts off at one time, theres like 2 gal of stinky oil in there, you dont want to wear it!
Attachments
000_0743.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Wow i dont think in 15 years that i have been collecting i have ever heard of a hydro locking up!

If anything in the drivechain all the way to the diff was jammed the wheels would still spin, one fwd and one back...

the fact that the hydro lift works says the implement relief and relief valves...charge pump and pump work.

My question is when u go fwd or rev does is stall the engine... that would point to the motor(motor part of tranny) rearward

if it doesnt stall then id have to think some more....maybe the shaft broke.....yikes

very strange indead!

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Does it roll at all, or does it act like it is totally locked up? It should roll even if the release valves are not working, but it'll roll hard. If it's locked up, something in the hydro pump probably broke, which is extremely uncommon.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

GatorDave

Post by GatorDave »

sorry i havent been able to get on all week theat storm sure messed us up. all is well nw though. to answer a couple questions you guys asked, it didn't stall the engine when i tried to go forward or reverse but it did put a heck of a load on it. next chance i get ill go out there and jack it up and see if i can turn a wheel. today i ot to go out and fix my wifes car, if its nit one thing it's another. thanks for the replies and ill get back to you guys soon with what i discover. And Vince, yup i know about that 2 gallons of stinky EXPENSIVE oil.