Original front tires need help

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
MGlenn
First and Last Name: Michael Glenn

Original front tires need help

Post by MGlenn »

I still have the original tires on my CCO, however they are cracked, dried out and a few small bulges. Has anyone ever had luck with trying to paint their tires with something called Millers Tire Paint? I would like to keep the original treads if possible. I figure as long as I put new tubes in them I should be able to use them for awhile anyway. I tend to spend more time trying to fix the original parts than trying to replace or update them, if there is a glimmer of hope for them.

I have tried Belt dressing spray on my Choremaster tire with some success. They look somewhat more pliable and dirt tends to stick less to the sides.

Any ideas or success stories?
Mike in Ypsi

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: Original front tires need help

Post by Paul B »

I have used the tire paint from Miller Tire, on the original GoodYear tires, if that is what you are asking about. It will not fill or cover up cracks unless they are very small, but it does give the tire a "new" look. It is a concentrate that you mix with water and brush on. It is not shiney like paint, but has the same look as a new tire, and does not leave brush marks when applied correctly. It will also cover paint overspray on tires if the paint is not too heavy.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

MGlenn

Post by MGlenn »

Yes thats the stuff I was thinking about. I'll paint them after I figure out a way to fill in the deeper cracks. The tires are original tires and the tire pattern is not sold anywhere on new tires that I have searched.
Mike in Ypsi

MGlenn

Post by MGlenn »

Anything out there to fill the deeper cracks in the tires? Then paint over with the Millers tire paint?
Mike in Ypsi

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Miller has a product called Rubber Putty for filling "injuries in tires". I haven't used it and don't know if it will fill cracks or not, but they should be able to answer that. It is a two part system and is kinda pricey.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

MGlenn

Post by MGlenn »

Thanks Paul. I'll look for it. If I have any luck I'll post some results in the future.
Mike in Ypsi