147 hydro relief valve removal?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
56cub
First and Last Name: Matt Atkinson

147 hydro relief valve removal?

Post by 56cub »

Can anyone help me with removing the relief valves on my 147? It sat over winter and the relief valves are now stuck open so the tractor won't move. Is there any way to get them out without removing the whole transmission? So far I have loosened the tranny to try to get enough room but that hasn't worked. I started to try to get the tranny out but there is no room under the frame to work on anything under there :banghead:

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: 147 hydro relief valve removal?

Post by Dave C »

matt,

Thats the crappy part of narrow frames... they kinda suck to work on.... i never tried to remove a relief valve from a tranny while still in the tractor, but i think it would be fairly difficult actually i think it would be impossible. Removing the tranny from a 147 isnt really that difficult... and you only need to pull it back about 6 inches to get at the valves..... 3 bolts on each side plus a few linkages etc.... the driveshaft will pull from the coupler with no work, its just stuck in there.... leave the tires on block the front wheels and support the center of the tractor just in case... the tranny will slide back with ease!
The hardest part of this ordeal is removing the fender pan... them flathead bolts suck. sounds like you may have gotten past that anyhow.

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

If they only sat over the winter you might spray them with PB Blaster good and start the tractor and move the lever some. I've gotten some 20 years stuck to break loose. One broke loose when I walked away from a running tractor with the handle down. Everyone has a duh moment I guess :lol:
Since you already have the transmission loose I'd just pull it though, take them out, clean them up real good and insure it doesn't happen again by doing so. Like Dave said, isn't the biggest job on those.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

The next time I tear down a narrow frame, I plan to cut out the tonneau, weld some sort of angle stock to it, and bolt it back to the frame (to new threaded holes)! That'll make any future maintenance a lot easier...!!
PTWannaHave

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Removable tonneau on narrow frame
Removable tonneau on narrow frame
IMGP4745.JPG (745.04 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
PTWannaHave

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

This is where the secret home brew works well 50/50 acetone and auto transmission fluid work well. Get your self one of those oil cans with a flexible hose and soak those valves. I almost guarantee this will work if it's only sat for a winter or so that stuff is powerful. Most powerful stuff you can get. It's scientifically proven to be the best followed by Kano kroil then surprisingly liquid wrench and pb blaster and wd40 is last. It was in farms how magazine
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

LFR

Post by LFR »

Here ya go for proof
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (238.25 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

just pull the fenders.

LFR

Post by LFR »

Not even. Just pull the little curvy thing in the center