104 safety switches

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jackman
First and Last Name: Jack Hammer

104 safety switches

Post by Jackman »

On a 104 are there safety switches as in clutch/brake and neutral?

Just trying to figure why some times I get no power to the starter and then with out doing anything I get power to the starter again :?
Cub Cadet 104
1957 International Cub Lo Boy
1987 John Deere 850 4X4 diesel
2 Kawasaki Triples S3 and an H1

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Re: 104 safety switches

Post by Jeff in Pa »

My 125 had safety switches ;)
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Take a look at the clutch. When you press it there's a long thin tab on the clutch shaft that presses a small safety switch in the frame. This is the only safety on that tractor. The tab is known to break, is sometimes out of adjustment, and is usually just by-passed. I try to get the ones on mine all working just for safety. Pretty simple design.
Also don't overlook something like a short at a connection on these old Cubs. Ignition switches, solenoid terminals, battery posts, and even starter terminals sometimes need a cleaning up after 45 year. ;)
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

ksanders wrote:Take a look at the clutch. When you press it there's a long thin tab on the clutch shaft that presses a small safety switch in the frame. This is the only safety on that tractor. The tab is known to break, is sometimes out of adjustment, and is usually just by-passed. I try to get the ones on mine all working just for safety. Pretty simple design.
Also don't overlook something like a short at a connection on these old Cubs. Ignition switches, solenoid terminals, battery posts, and even starter terminals sometimes need a cleaning up after 45 year. ;)
Thanks I'll look for that clutch saftee , so hard to get in that area of the CC, I did check battery and all connections that I can see with no results funny thing is that tomorrow morning with out doing a darn thing it might just fire right up.

Previos owner said the CC ran this way for years, he'd just leave it be when it would not start and cxome back later and try again :lol: he says I need a key switch but I'll look for the safety first.
Cub Cadet 104

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Jack

Look where Kev said. None of mine work I just jumped them out. That should be the only one on the tractor.

I like the way the NF's look, just no room to work on them.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

vince_o wrote:Jack

Look where Kev said. None of mine work I just jumped them out. That should be the only one on the tractor.

I like the way the NF's look, just no room to work on them.
I will check it out tomorrow and post back what I find, fingers are crossed for a bad switch........
Cub Cadet 104

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

Pulled the mower deck lifted the Cub and there it was right where ksanders said I found the safety switch , it was hooked up with two red wires, I disconnected switch and put the wires together and still no start :twisted: , there is power to the wires that connect to the safety when the key is on

,,, Ive checked everything else all appears good so I wonder if its the key switch thats bad :?:

Is there away of jumping the key switch? Hate to be a parts replacer but the key switch seems the most logical choice right now.....
Cub Cadet 104

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

You can jump right to the S/G to turn it over.

Before I did that, Id take my test light and follow the path on the dig. Those are simple wiring, you should find it real easy.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

When you jump right to the S/G using a jumper box or cables first put the RED + lead on the "A" terminal and touch the BLACK - lead to ground(the arcing will mess up the threads).
When you do this you are by passing the solenoid where he 12 V goes from the Ignition switch through the safety switches and powers the starter.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

The button on the safty switch could be sticking due to rust and dirt, for all thats said. I'd try some WD-40 there, good stuff!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

JLazar wrote:The button on the safty switch could be sticking due to rust and dirt, for all thats said. I'd try some WD-40 there, good stuff!
WD-40 is good for getting rid of moisture but I haven't used it since it became non-flammable{was great for starting engines) but Kroil(real good) and BP Blaster do a much better job as penatrants.

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

Well I found the problem its a intermittent solenoid :D , going to look for a new on tomorrow.....
Cub Cadet 104

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

The connections on those love to stop working after a while. Have you loosened the top and bottom posts, wiggled the corrosion off good or more ideally take them off and clean the connections, and tightened them back down? Might be worth a shot before investing in a new one. I've had quite a few needing that little "fix".
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

Well after getting the price on a new solenoid at 80 dollars :o I am going to clean it up and see if I can save it....
Cub Cadet 104

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I had one fail on my 102 on and off again some years back and trying to figure out what was wrong along the way drove me silly.
Cleaning it will do nothing if it's sticking or failed internally.
The price you mention is way out of line, it should be about half that. I'd check on line for a more reasonable price.

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

Well I got that 80 dollar price at my local Cub Cadet dealer, what other sources are there for Cub Cadet parts?
Cub Cadet 104

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

It's really nothing more than a standard winch solenoid. Amazon has them on line starting at $15.
41h6f1Y4hEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41h6f1Y4hEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
I took my old one to the local auto parts place and they matched it right up straight off the shelf
Any place that deals with snow plows, off roading, or ATV's would probably be able to help out too ;)
Kevin is quite right about the electrical contact issue too, those terminals should be clean and bright- it may be all that's needed.

Jackman

Post by Jackman »

I'll try AutoZone tomorrow maybe they have something similar. I did make the contacts all shiny still no start the problem began with the battery somehow the previous owner installed the wrong size battery (too big)and tied it in with a bungee cord it tipped and spilled acid on the solenoid so I have corrosion in a bad way :(
Cub Cadet 104