Playn' with a 71

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

Playn' with a 71

Post by Tim DeLooza »

I took a little time today to play with a tractor of my own for a change. I bought this 71 a month or so ago.
71 1.jpg
I’d decided I wanted it to be a little different so I took it apart and did the usual refurbish to the carb, clutch, sheering column, and PTO along the way. I added a 3pt and spring assist so it’s “useable” and here’s where the different comes in… I decided to make it batteries not included…
71 2.jpg
Oh, yeah and I traded tires for some hot rod tires and added a few weights cause they’re pretty.
71 3.jpg
71 4.jpg

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Re: Playn' with a 71

Post by mikeyb »

Looking good Timmy! :beer:

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Tim,
I like the no battery setup,not much can go wrong with that.I see shiny weights,but I guess the rest of the 71 will be shiny also..

No battery here either..maybe a 6 pk of Coke

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Tim

Its nice to see you posting again. So where did you get the wheel weights? :lol: How about some pics of some of your latest work. I know Ive always enjoyed seeing the work you do.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Cookieman
First and Last Name: Robert Webb

Post by Cookieman »

ok STUPID question here..............do you jump it off each time you want to use it?

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

YOu have to fogive my "GREEN" friend LMAO!

Its a pull start
-Andrew Jackson

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Or more correctly, it has a recoil starter, not to be confused with a "chain and another vehicle" type pull start as used on some vehicles of other colors :roll:
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

Tim love to see the recoil starts. The 71 is the only one I am missing for the 7hp series and all of mine except the 73 are recoils. I use my 72 around the house to pull carts and such. The recoils would be the last to go if things had to leave. They are just fun to play with.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Yea what Paul said LMAO!
-Andrew Jackson

Cookieman
First and Last Name: Robert Webb

Post by Cookieman »

Vince...............that is what I was thinking but I looked in the pictures and couldnt see a pull cord anywhere...............could be my sight going in my old age........lol

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

John,
I agree. My 72 would be the last one also.
It is a simple concept, just pull and go, no worry about the coil, s/g charging system having issues... :o

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've never been lucky enough to own a 70-73 pull start. I always wondered why every Cub had a S/G when it was technically a more expensive option. Guess the mindset of cheapest at all cost didn't exist back then like now. I've never even seen one here.
I do have my 3-digit Original pull start. I agree, nothing more convenient than heading up to the shed where the O is sitting and one pull and go. No chasing down a battery to put in it or having to charge it or charging issues. Its all great until it dies during use from getting bogged down in grass just once BTDT :lol:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

Post by Tim DeLooza »

Thanks Guys. Lew it will stay in work clothes for now. I have more than enough cart pullers so I need to decide on a “job” for it. Can you get me a better picture and maybe a couple measurements of the bracket between the head bolt and the back of the coffin plate? Mine seems to be missing that piece. I also added the 4th leg to the recoil to add a little more stability.

Robert, If you look in Lew’s first picture, up by the grille you can see the recoil assembly.

I had a recoil “O” that I sold to Engine Mike and the Cubette is a recoil. They’re great until you have no spark, course that only happens AFTER it’s painted…
ette coil fix a.jpg

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

For info, that bracket/brace was only used on the 71 and 72, but would probably be a good idea to put one on a 70 if you have one. I had a 70 (think John U has that now) and a 72, but don't remember if either had the brace. I did add the 4th leg to at least one of them or maybe both..........CRS don't you know.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

Tim, Yes that is real convenient. I rebuilt the engine on my O and it actually broke the recoil dogs pretty quickly right after it was together. It has a lot of compression. These are my 3 recoils for now. The 70 is one the Paul Bell redid a while back.
P7070118sm.jpg
P7070120sm.jpg
P9070092sm.jpg

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Timmy I often think of you and Doog.
Attachments
CLUTCH TOOL.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Vince,who is Doug? ;)

ccarney
First and Last Name: Craig Carney

Post by ccarney »

Tim when I get a chance I can give you dimensions for that head to coffin plate bracket, as I have one loose on the shelf. 71 and 72's had them but not 70's. They would be a good idea there though.

The 4th leg on the starter shoulda been there from the first 70 recoil. Could never figure out why they deleted it when setting up the 70 recoil....