3rd 169

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

3rd 169

Post by ksanders »

Well after selling my redone 169 this spring seems I can't get away from the rare 169. Seems they're everywhere around here. Picked this up 5 miles from my house. Motor was advertised as a rebuilt 16hp but was actually a 12hp with new head gasket and ignition parts that smokes a little. Motor is an AQS so I'm going to convert it all back to a S/G. It does have all of a 3 pt. except lift bar (which I'm giving to the person I gave the 1000 project tractor to that we painted like a 240), original hydro lift, no headlight panel, and needs pto, dash tower, fiberglass dash, and other parts like the seat base that the springs bolt to is broke which I've never seen. Being as its a factory correct 169 by the serial I went ahead and bought it and will probably end up fixing it up with a 12hp. I hate to see 169's parted or junked.
Attachments
169.jpg
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Re: 3rd 169

Post by jpackard56 »

Nice save, keep us posted :beer:
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

Jackman
First and Last Name: Jack Hammer

Post by Jackman »

Cool! What makes the 169 rare?
Cub Cadet 104
1957 International Cub Lo Boy
1987 John Deere 850 4X4 diesel
2 Kawasaki Triples S3 and an H1

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Kevin, that the one from Borden?
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Paul, yeah it is and there was a reason it wasn't snatched up the first time around :lol:

They only built 4005 of the 169's. I took this one partially apart already and the frame has cracks on the front badly, several along the sides in random spots, and bad where the rear end bolts. I'll have to use a different frame if I redo it. PO said it was a pulling tractor.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

cubcadet1450
First and Last Name: Marty Mays

Post by cubcadet1450 »

Kevin, I would love to have a 169. So of you
find anymore. I found one on Craigslist on the
southside of Indy. (Better keep it clean here!) I
would possibly go with a 149 also.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Marty,
I have this to the bare frame fixing the front pto clutch that was trashed, hydro lift rockshaft, changing the frame itself, new seals/gaskets/trunion repair on the rear end and I'll start redoing this one sometime soon. When its done I'll have a 48" deck on it cutting grass. If I decide to sell it after that sometime you'll be the first to know. It won't have a problem in the world when I'm done with it ;)

cubcadet1450

Post by cubcadet1450 »

Kevin that would be great! Keep me in mind.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

"It won't have a problem in the world when I'm done with it"
except for rattling your teeth loose :lol:

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I've had kind of a slow week so got some hours here and there to piddle with the new toy. I never realized it but this thing is really coming along. I've rebuilt the rusted and junked front pto really wish I could find the before pic I took. Rusted away, broken springs, and thrust button eaten out completely, had the motor all apart already (as well as swapped it to a S/G set-up) and also replaced the seals to be on the safe side, rewelded and fixed the hydro coupler, have the fender and hood sanded and primed, soaked the supposedly (nope) rebuilt carb, new gaskets and seals in the rear end, rebuilt the terribly messed up steering column, and other odds and ends. There were at least 3 coats of paint on this so prep work has been a nitemare. The sandblasters really save me time.
Also, this engine lift I got the other night is a huge back saver. $100 at harbor freight with a coupon!!! Couldn't turn it down.
Attachments
Before
Before
169 project (3) 010.jpg
169 project (3) 004.jpg
169 project (3) 009.jpg

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Few more
Attachments
169 project (3) 003.jpg
169 project (3) 008.jpg

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Got my decals finally so I could put the finishing touches on the 169. I've cut grass with it already just enough to try it out. Came out shockingly well for what it was. Here's a list of everything on it I put together.

Parts Replaced: Frame due to multiple cracks in the front, back, and even in the middle. Dash tower due to heavy cracking at the base. Rear end was drilled out in several mounting holes and replaced. Wiring harness was cut up. Used but original style seat.

Parts that were missing completely and I added: Gas tank and straps, mower deck, subframe and mule drive assembly, side panels and hour meter, amp meter, hood hinge, generator and old style flywheel, backing plate, and cover. Also regulator.

Work done: 3 layers of paint from past “repaints” stripped, primed, and painted IH colors. New decals, new coil/condenser/plug/point/wire. Carb soaked and rebuilt. Took motor apart (also switched it back to 169 style generator, flywheel, dipstick, etc.). New rear end gaskets and seals etc. Front pto turned down in lathe, new fingers, thrust button, disc, and brass pto button. Replaced frame/rear end/wiring harness/dash tower/ more. Tapped all holes in frame and bolts for ease of removal and installation now and in the future. Tubes in 3 leaking tires. Disassembled and readjusted brakes/ clutch pedal/ hydro linkages. Welded up holes in the mower deck and readjusted the whole deck. New deck belts.
Attachments
169 001.jpg
169 002.jpg
169 003.jpg
169 005.jpg

rmcshane
First and Last Name: Ryan McShane

Post by rmcshane »

That is a great restoration Kevin...I hope mine look as good as yours when I get the time to redo them.

svojon
First and Last Name: Jonathan Gibson

Post by svojon »

I have a couple of questions. Where did you get the decals? Is that the factory color scheme? What brand/kind of paint did you use? Do you know of a correct color powder coat (i have free access to a powder coat booth at work)?

Thanks, and looks awesome, i hope my 169 looks that good some day
Jonathan
Two 149's, one with a mower deck, a blade, and a roto-tiller, the other for restoration
One 169 - future loader

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

The decals came from maple hunter decals. I've used them several times and the quality is decent (not perfect but way more than acceptable and I'm fully satisfied). I've found the more expensive decals from binder books in the past to be heavier and easier to install but the decal sets aren't as complete and they are more expensive. Depends on your preference.

Yes, all the paint is pretty well correct. Paint is Van Sickle International Yellow and International Off-White. This is kind of hard to get anymore and almost as expensive as Case Iron-Gard but I like the color and quality. Some people dog Van Sickle pretty hard but I've used it for years and short of letting it in the sun for years without clear coat is holds up excellent against chemicals and doesn't fade much at all. Majic paint I don't like at all for either color or quality, Valspar doesn't make a close IH yellow substitute that I like, and Case Iron-Gard is a little more expensive but for Originals looks perfect and is what I used on my Original.

No idea on powder coat.

cubcadet1450

Post by cubcadet1450 »

That looks really nice Kevin!