1650 -broken cooling fan/iso mounts?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

Re: 1650 -broken cooling fan/iso mounts?

Post by eplummer »

So finally got a little time in on the 1650. Put in the new springs but just doesn't look right to me, seems as if they should fit more evenly in the slots. Also have tried the hydro creep adjust a few times, better but still creeps a bit. Admittedly I am being impatient and have not taken the time to have the new piece from xtreme welded on. It's probably all related. Might be time for professional help.....for the 1650 too!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 10825 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 10825 times

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Eric
It looks like your doing nice work! Add a couple shim on the outside of the hellownpeice in the pictures. It will help to center this on the springs And hopefully fix what your seeing! The offer still stands bring the 1811 or the 1650 to the show this weekend and we will be mowing the Feild before you leave!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Eric... before the repair was it off center? If not welding....is that jb glue? I didn't want to call it jb weld....lol.
Joe....when I go to a show....and that's not often...I pack a granola bar couple waters and about $5 for some chili dogs. You on the other hand..... sounds like u take your whole garage along.... :lol: It's a very nice offer! Have fun! Get us some pics.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Have tenative plans to go to Maine this weekend.....BUT ..where is the show? I did just put a new trailer hitch on my Ridgeline so I guess it can be an official hauler now and of course should have a maiden voyage. I must admit it is JB you see in the photos, :oops: My failed attempt to make the 1650 serviceable to assist in getting the yard ready for a graduation party.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dag
Not the whole garage just 6 Cubs and a box of tools! The show grounds are a old farm, the machine shop is still there and ready to go we have lathes Bridgeports etc not much we can't do. Although most of the stuff is the good stuff 50's vintage!

Eric
The show is in colecheter ct http://www.qvea.org.
I'll be there weather permitting Friday noon till Sunday afternoon. If your not sure bring more parts! Weld/grind is the best/cheapest way to make that repair. I'm not sure how long JB will hold up! I have a 1811 parts rig coming in so bring the 1811 we can have it going !

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Sadly I won't be able to get to Colchester today. I hope everyone has a great time. I think something is happening in Elliot ME next week. Maybe I will try to get to that one.

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

The 22nd Antique Tractor & Engine Show at the Raitt Homestead Farm Museum in Eliot, Maine is July 28th - 30th. Featuring Minneapolis Moline Tractors & Jacobson Engines. We will be celebrating the last 22 years and will have a slideshow playing again so everyone that missed it 2 years ago can see it; it will play all weekend. Admission is $7 per person, children 12 and under free. Plenty of free parking. Fri 8am - 9pm, Sat 7am - 9pm, Sun 7am - 3pm. Join us Friday night for the Pasta Dinner and Auction to benefit the Blacksmith Project. Highlights: Hundreds of tractor & engine displays. Shingle Mill and lots of other farm Demos. Ladies Skillet Toss, Kids Korner, tractor pulls, kids pedal tractor pulls, live entertainment , Flea Market, Tractor & Engine parts, and so much more for the entire family to enjoy!
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

The 1650 followed me down to the Zagray Farm over the weekend. Met Joe M and he adjusted the quietline as well as he could considering the condition of the carb. The throttle shaft bearings were pretty worn. What he did in 10 min with 2 tools would have taken me 10 hours and a full tool box! I took a chance and ordered the aftermarket carb. Will post success or failure in a few weeks. He was also very diplomatic in pointing out that I had the cross brace of the engine cradle welded a little to far forward. :oops: It will interfere with the pto belt so I will have to manage that at some point too. Thanks for you help Joe!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Sounds like it was a good trip.
I don't have any experience with the aftermarket carbs....but my brother and nephew...just bought one off eBay for a walk behind mower. $40 shipped to their door. Oh....and before this little repair....they didn't even know what a carburetor was. They bolted it on and worked Perfect. I didn't even bother telling them to fine tune it.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Put on the new carb today...it did fit and the 1650 did run more smoothly. But after a few minutes gas was leaking out. Well for $20 bucks I did not have high hopes. I tightened the bowl screw a bit and no change. Short story I ended up taking the bowl off and reseating the gaskets. Getting it on and off is a pain but ultimately, at least for now, it is not leaking. The gas line is interfering with the governor but I think I can manage that well enough. I hope I can drive it around the yard a bit tomorrow for more of a test.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I had a buddy text Saturday, he said his new eBay carb was leaking too, bad float. He had bought 2 and the other had a good float. I would check to make sure there is nothing under the seat. Although you may have flushed that out when you took off the bowl. Generally the bowl nut is not the issue.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone, I woke up the 1650 this week, a few minor setbacks but mostly because of my sketchy memory. Didn't mess with the leaky carb, ordered another one and seems to be operating well.

A few questions did come up though. When reinstalling the sleeve hitch and lift arm does one start at the front end or at the rear? I got everything connected except the washer and cotter pin on the shaft of the lift plate assembly. I don't remember how I ever got it out??
Question 2. The valve handle won't cycle the lift cylinder. The handle moves very little. I checked the hytran level and it ran out of the fill hole so I am believing low fluid is not the case :dontknow: I have not tried to use the lift cylinder in several years. The tractor has been stored outside under a tarp during this project.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Eric

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Good cub day yesterday. Had both the 1811 and 1650 move under their own power. Still having an issue with the lift cylinder not cycling. I can wiggle the control arm is loose but doesn't travel to engage the cylinder. My non technical mind is tryingto follow the manual for trouble shooting. I did take off the cap to the implement lift arm relief valve and cleaned the spring and plunger(??) but no change in operation. Will try the same thing with the charge pump valve today and see if that helps.
I have not tested the psi of the pump yet, don''t have a gauge. But am I going down the rabbit hole in the correct order?
Thanks for any advice/experience
Eric

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Eric
My guess is the roll pin through the handle and the next peice of linkage sheared. IMHO the newer clamp style is much better. See if you can find a new/used one from one of the parts guys.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hey Joe,
From what I can tell without taking anything I think I have the clamp on style already. Hopefully can get at it sometime this week to get a better look. To be fair I have not tested the PSI of the charge pump yet.

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

The clamp on can slip. Got to have that bolt TIGHT.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Eric....I went through the same thing a few years ago after the tractor sat for a while. You need to sync the cylinder with the charge pump.
1. Jack up the back of the tractor.
2. Start tractor and while sitting on the seat... gently and slowly move between forward and reverse.
3. After doing that 4 times....
4. On the fifth time move your hydraulic lever back and forth while going front and back.
After this procedure your hydraulic trouble will be fixed. Right now it's all out of sync!
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Get some pics!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Gota love April fools day!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Joe....I hope Eric is ok...I only gave him the 4 steps to get back in sync.....not sure what's so hard about it. Maybe the last step with doing two things at once was too much :lol:

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hey There,
Sorry I have not posted any follow up but things got complicated.....I didn't read Dave's post carefully enough, When I read "sync" my small brain registered "sink"! So it took me a long time to take every thing apart and reassemble in the kitchen. The bathroom sink was way to small. Sadly after all that I still have the same problem! :lol:

We have been going through a for real kitchen/living room remodel so cub time and $ has been scarce, weather has been less than great too. I haven't had the opportunity to check the linkage properly but I am suspecting the valve may be sticking internally from sitting through the many changes in seasons without use.

I will post if I make any progress worth reporting. :beer:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

That's ok Eric. We know how life gets in the way of Cub time......and Joe called me out on my fun anyway. Next year I will have to get one over on the moderator police ;)

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone, I have not put in any cub time since the Spring :( But, took some time last night to get back into the 1650. Stuck hydraulic lift valve....I finally gave in and removed the gas tank so I could get a better look. Started to unbolt the valve, but one bolt wouldn't give in. Gave it, and the piston linkage a fair shot of PB Blaster, and let it sit over night. This morning figured I would try to pry up the piston a bit before revolving the valve. Success! Moved the lift arm back and forth a bit and the piston moved up and down as it should.
Now the decision to be made is to put the cub back together or plug away at the honey-do list....... :dontknow:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Good job on the hydraulic valve! I would get it back together while the excitement is new :lol:

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I did have to wait a day but. the excitement was still there until it wouldn''t start. It would run if I sprayed gas in the carb. So a few days after that I cleaned out the carb and it had a wonderful grey gel in it. Got that all cleaned out started her up and cycled the lift! Then I walked away before the wave of success crashed on the rocks!