Dual Lift 149

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Dual Lift 149

Post by tractrs2nv »

I have had a dual lift on my mind for my 149.We all know how hard it is to get a dual stick set up from a Quietline or even find a complete tractor, I couldn't part out a dual stick tractor for that matter. In the mean time I found this Duff-Norton 500 lb max actuator in a scrap bin (it looks like a clone to what CC used). Item was given to me so when I got home I tested it and works fine,just missing the plug for the electrical! Going thru my scrap plate steel and what not this is what I came up with...so far. My tractor is a pusher/puller only, box blade in the rear and dozier blade on the front; with the lift actuator on the front I can use the implements at will with out taking them off the tractor. I did burn up a china made spring loaded toggle switch during testing the lift so I'll have to find a tougher made switch(any input on that item I would be most thankful!). You can see I used the same holes drilled in the frame for the hydraulic cylinder so no molestation was needed for the actuator mounting brkt. Lift rod is primitive at this point and where it mounts to the actuator may require some weld...when I let the blade down it will fold and lay on the axle,but if I use the "lock out" for the floating action on the blade it will not fold. I know I'll need the floating action to protect the actuator. Any way I've made some nice progress so far but still working out a few mechanics.
Attachments
Fr.lift 004 (640x480).jpg
Fr.lift 002 (640x480).jpg
Fr.lift 001 (640x480).jpg
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Dual Lift 149

Post by Farmallgray »

Kevin,
Go to a NAPA store and get part # TG7071 switch. It is rated for 50 amps.If you need more than that you should probably
use relays.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

Thanks Todd for the fast reply! Have part# in hand and gone to NAPA :D
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Kevin
You like my work in another topic yours is just as nice if not better usi g your head and on a budget too!!!!

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Kevin

Really cool nice work! I was talking to a green friend of mine the other night about a 140 he had for sale. I told him I wish that cub had done the H3 thing on the 149. I like the hydro lifts of the H3's. The 149 is got to be one of my Fav tractors.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

Todd,our local NAPA will have to order that switch for me,thanx again for the heads up! Joe,we have seen your resto's so I am very humble w/your reply! And to Vince,hello again my southern neighbor! I have to admit,of all of the 1X8 & 1X9's I have owned I'd say the 149 is the most,2nd would be a tie with the 108 & 128...only owned 1 169 w/manual lift and it sold to a Mr.Harold Cupp a SUPER cub nut in Indiana. Maybe one day I'll find a dual stick set up and do a conversion for a angle blade,then my "ol" 149 will be complete for the push'n pull'n chores at hand.
I do want to share one other pic of a electric lift conversion I did to a 73 I had a few yrs back,then later the electric lift was removed and a lift/pump was installed. Also removed the duals and added a set of AG's w/dual weights.
Attachments
P5150070 (640x480).jpg

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Kevin, as far as making the blade float ,maybe extend the blade mount up about 6 or 8 inches with some flat stock and then use a chain for a lift rod , might not look the best but that would protect your electric lift from up force. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

KEvin

If another QL shows up here with dual hydro on it Ill be sure to send you an email. Never know when they will show up.

So what paint did you use on it? Im rattle caning my 2072 cause I have too much water in my compressor and Im using the new paint at TSC. Im doing it cat yellow. So far all 3 cans are differant collors. SUCKS! but covers well.
-Andrew Jackson

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

dag1450 wrote:Kevin, as far as making the blade float ,maybe extend the blade mount up about 6 or 8 inches with some flat stock and then use a chain for a lift rod , might not look the best but that would protect your electric lift from up force. Dave
You know I have thought about that or similar; I had a 100 w/a F32 Mott flail mower. The lift rod is a cable to allow free float when mowing. Thanks for the input Dave!
Attachments
100 WMott Hammer Knife Mower 008 (640x480).jpg

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

vince_o wrote:KEvin

If another QL shows up here with dual hydro on it Ill be sure to send you an email. Never know when they will show up.

So what paint did you use on it? Im rattle caning my 2072 cause I have too much water in my compressor and Im using the new paint at TSC. Im doing it cat yellow. So far all 3 cans are differant collors. SUCKS! but covers well.
PM sent... ;)

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Nice to see someone I know here! Like your idea, too. Was thinking along the same useful lines with my hyd.pump. I'am not the Kentucky Headhunters, just a fan! Always enjoyed seeing your attention to detail, thanks man!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

cub1450
First and Last Name: Jed Harper

Post by cub1450 »

Looks great Kevin ! :D

I`ll have to stop by and look at it one weekend you ain`t at work.
1978 1450 with IH Hubcaps
1975 1650SGT work in progress
1974 129 with sleeve hitch
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts
Brinly 8in plow ,12" in. plow, disc & rear blade, 2 44a,50a

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

JLazar wrote:Nice to see someone I know here! Like your idea, too. Was thinking along the same useful lines with my hyd.pump. I'am not the Kentucky Headhunters, just a fan! Always enjoyed seeing your attention to detail, thanks man!
Hey John! My wife and I got to see Fred & the band play last yr @ our state fair. Them "old school" hillbilly's still thro down and got some killer BLUES goin' on too.
Attachments
Me and Fred Young (604x453).jpg
Last edited by tractrs2nv on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

cub1450 wrote:Looks great Kevin ! :D

Thanks Jed and bring Logan too if ya want...get that I.H. plate on the front of your truck yet? I seen your truck parked @ the bank not long ago and it still was sporting that...uh...you know. If I had a I.H. decal at the time I would have "slapped" it on that plate ~lol~

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

The machines...
The machines...
The mowing team and #1 Lab helper !
The mowing team and #1 Lab helper !
The 782 and GT2544 at lunch time early this year...The Mott was parked in the barn snoozing under it's cover that day, had no driver
The 782 and GT2544 at lunch time early this year...The Mott was parked in the barn snoozing under it's cover that day, had no driver
:lol:
Hi Kevin !
Long time no hear, good to see you still modifying things, I too respect your work. I'm trying to show the mowing team from last year and this year. We will see if they re-size correctly... The 100 with Mott got some new ags and weights on both sides of the rims and yep still purrs like new.(It is a great piece of history and without a doubt you eat some clippings with it if you get a breeze) The 108 has moved further south with the son that is on it and was replaced by the 782 in the third photo that I got from a member on here. Lot less cutting this year cause of the weather, but all of them still earn their keep here at the farm.
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

Hot dang there she is! Grass everywhere,on the deck,tractor and you but what a blast to watch it cut! Very glad to hear it is earning it's keep Jim!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

You guys aint that far, you outa bring some of them cubs down off the mtn for next years Red Neck Plow Day, looks like you all would fit in right well, LOL
-Andrew Jackson

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

ImageMott Brochure
check out "Mott Cutting Action"
check out "Mott Cutting Action"
This shows that the Mott can be run in either direction by changing the belt from grass cutting to weed cutting. I got my belt reversed and till I studied the brochure I thought I had it on wrong :idea:. Never did try it that way. A lot of information on that brochure(click on it and you can zoom in to read it).
I'm adding a PDF copy.
Mott brochure.pdf
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 96 times

cub1450

Post by cub1450 »

tractrs2nv wrote:
cub1450 wrote:Looks great Kevin ! :D

Thanks Jed and bring Logan too if ya want...get that I.H. plate on the front of your truck yet? I seen your truck parked @ the bank not long ago and it still was sporting that...uh...you know. If I had a I.H. decal at the time I would have "slapped" it on that plate ~lol~
Yeah got the license plate finally put on and That was me and Logan in his f350 today after we left James `s .Will try to get over their in a few weeks.
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

William, once again your experience and information has helped me :!:
I got home last night and it was great out and I needed to burn off "work frustrations"...So I went out and reversed the belt on the Mott like you described. I mowed with her till I ran out of gas (good 45 mins) around the barn, between mommas flowers, along the pasture fence... NO more clippings in the face! Just mulched them up and dropped them out the back.
Thanks for helping a big dummy like me out once again :roll:
Jim
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

jpackard56 wrote:William, once again your experience and information has helped me :!:
I got home last night and it was great out and I needed to burn off "work frustrations"...So I went out and reversed the belt on the Mott like you described. I mowed with her till I ran out of gas (good 45 mins) around the barn, between mommas flowers, along the pasture fence... NO more clippings in the face! Just mulched them up and dropped them out the back.
Thanks for helping a big dummy like me out once again :roll:
Jim
That is the correct way for the belt per Brochure and that 's why they are made with the rear guard and the front guard being optional(I never sa a front delecttor. I had the leaf deflector bar option on my Mott and I bet that would work great on leafs.
You can see the Leaf Mulching Bar on the left
You can see the Leaf Mulching Bar on the left
Here it is off the Mott Mower
Here it is off the Mott Mower
I never saw another Mot with that attachment. I broke the welds on it twice hitting objects(one was a gas line). but rewelded it. It would be hard to fafricate because of the shape(Oval and the slight bends on each side.
I also made the Roller option
Roller on my Mott which I left on all the time
Roller on my Mott which I left on all the time
The roller with the wheels and leaf deflector bar off
The roller with the wheels and leaf deflector bar off

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

dag1450 wrote:Kevin, as far as making the blade float ,maybe extend the blade mount up about 6 or 8 inches with some flat stock and then use a chain for a lift rod , might not look the best but that would protect your electric lift from up force. Dave
Dave,going to try the extension that you suggested. Hunting some thick flat stock and plan to cut the float in that area. The rod I currently have installed is bending so back to the drawing board. 50 amp Napa switch works fine. Will post more pics when satisfied...thanks guys...good to chat with some old & new cubnutz!

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

Here is what I came up with using some 1/2" flat stock. Far less strain when lift is used. Small piece of thin flat stock is welded under the clevis at the end of the ram. This will not allow it to fold down to the axle when in float. Again this is a CCC plow that has a float. Long handle toggle sw works nicely. Unplug the harness, remove 3 pins and it's removed.Not yet field tested I still need to do a little more TLC on a leaky hyd hose. And I hated to drill 3 holes in the back of the cab...but I did :roll: .Installed this little but very bright strobe light on the back of the cab. This tractor is sometimes near or on a road when working and I'd like to be seen if possible.
Attachments
Front lift completed 001 (540x405).jpg
Front lift completed 004 (540x405).jpg
Front lift completed 002 (540x405).jpg
Front lift completed 005 (540x405).jpg
Front lift completed 006 (540x405).jpg

cub1450

Post by cub1450 »

Looks Great Kevin! :D
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Looks like you are getting good high lift out of that new bracket. maybe you should have been on Cubs engineering team as a few of there stock implements never really lifted to high. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

Thanks Jed!...Dave, I built 3 different designs before I was satisfied. And as you stated I wanted greater blade height for loading on a tilt trailer. But what is really nice the clearance when the blade is at a angle. The pic w/the blade up: the ram still has about a 1" of stroke left.