paint

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
drice
First and Last Name: Daniel Rice

paint

Post by drice »

does any one no where to get the valspar spray paint that tractor supply used to sell went to get some the other day and they changed brands and dont have half of the colors, and the paint look as good

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: paint

Post by ksanders »

You can still order it online. For instance, this is the first result when I googled it. Fair price (before shipping at least). I'll have to buy hardener for all my Valspar paint I still have.
http://www.tools2parts.com/Valspar-18-4 ... 554_d_3081
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im not real happy with the rattle cans of the new paint tsc has. My 2072 is 3 differant colors. All sposta be cat yellow, yes I like cat equipment. The frame looks like the more orange of the 70's where the brakes look like crap, and the fenders look like the newer cat yellow, more yellow than orangeish.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Kelpie
First and Last Name: Russell McClure

Post by Kelpie »

Yeah, the new paint at TSC isn't so great. I repainted my mower deck and the paint never dried. It stayed tacky and loose and I had to strip it again and repaint. This was on top of stripped metal with a primer coat. The second try was ok, but I'm not holding my breath that it will hold up. I had never had any problems with the Valspar paint.
Give a snake a brake
1964 Model 70 Dad bought new, creeper, 38" mower deck, fenders, lights, Brinley lift assist and sleeve hitch. Brinley plow.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I also noticed that the new paint at TSC doesn't come in as many selections of colors .
They have an International red , but without a paint chip to compare the colors , I'm hesitant to buy it .
Anybody know of a major retailer other than Tractor Supply that carries Valspar ?
I need to find another paint source .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Lowes dose, but I dont know if they have tractor paint. I hate big box stores, I try to stay out of them.
-Andrew Jackson

bkw3614
First and Last Name: Brian Wittman

Post by bkw3614 »

A midwest company called Fleet Farm carries Valspar.

I rattle caned the white on my 1250 nightmare, and it turned out pretty well using Valspar spray paint. With the results that I had using the rattle can as a stop gap, I will be happy to use Valspar to paint my tractor for real next year.

Here is their link: www.fleetfarm.com/

drice

Post by drice »

i went on fleet farms site and searched and didnt find the paint are u sure thats the site.i sire hate to switch back to that cub paint at 14$ a can

drice

Post by drice »

mabee cub isnt that bad i just went on ebay and some people want 38 dollars a can thats insane :lol:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Daniel, it's nice to see someone local, i'm in doylestown/chalfont. I have been buying my paint from Hoober case IH out in lancaster pa. they drop it to my door for like 6 bucks, but i have to wait till they have a delivery out my way.good luck. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Cookieman
First and Last Name: Robert Webb

Post by Cookieman »

I have a link somewhere to an online supplier of Valspar Paint.............as soon as I run across it I will post it.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

drice wrote:i went on fleet farms site and searched and didnt find the paint are u sure thats the site.i sire hate to switch back to that cub paint at 14$ a can
Fleet Farm and Farm & Fleet (which has the paint) are not the same store.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

drice

Post by drice »

seems like a lot of places dont want to ship spray paint for some reason.mabee there is some saftey corcern or something went on farm and fleet they dont ship it

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

It can be shipped, it has to be marked ORMD. I forget what it stands for. We get cases of premixed gas threw ups and fedx. We used to get paint till it went threw the roof and no one would buy it.
-Andrew Jackson

Cookieman
First and Last Name: Robert Webb

Post by Cookieman »

aerosol cans have to be shipped via ground transportation...............they can explode if shipped by air. FEDERAL LAW

BillHouk
First and Last Name: Bill Houk

Post by BillHouk »

it is my understanding, that valspar made tractor paint exclusively for tractor supply stores. tractor supply didnt sell enough paint to justify valspar to continue carrying that product line. so it has been discontinued , and to be no more. magic brand paint that tractor supply now carries will fade in 2/3 mos. it is a very inferior product. be advised... do not use! if you want a nice job, will have to rely on automotive paint. this info came from 2 different tractor supply store managers.. i have a friend who just painted a big oliver farm tractor with the new magic brand paint and now has to strip it after 3 mos, and re-paint. now will be using automotive brand paint. if you want a good paint job, lasting paint job, automotive paint is your only hope.

tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Post by tractrs2nv »

BillHouk wrote:it is my understanding, that valspar made tractor paint exclusively for tractor supply stores. tractor supply didnt sell enough paint to justify valspar to continue carrying that product line. so it has been discontinued , and to be no more. magic brand paint that tractor supply now carries will fade in 2/3 mos. it is a very inferior product. be advised... do not use! if you want a nice job, will have to rely on automotive paint. this info came from 2 different tractor supply store managers.. i have a friend who just painted a big oliver farm tractor with the new magic brand paint and now has to strip it after 3 mos, and re-paint. now will be using automotive brand paint. if you want a good paint job, lasting paint job, automotive paint is your only hope.
I can relate to this reply. We did a total restoration on a 1981 3600 Ford that was a fire victim back in 2008.My budget steered me to save some ca$h on paint so I went with Valspar materials. Wasting no time on the prep for paint,oven cleaner,steam jenny,welders needle scaler,ect. All external parts and sheet metal NEW(engine internal parts as well).6 months later I'm pulling sheet metal due to peeling and fading. Went to our local New Holland dealer and bought CNH materials...which I should have done to start with!
Attachments
3600 Ford 006 (640x480).jpg
3600 Ford 006 (640x480).jpg (158.7 KiB) Viewed 26270 times
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

The Case IH Iron Gard paint is made by Valspar, and they have the correct Federal Yellow, but only the 935 IH white. The price has gone up, as has the price of all paint. I bought a case of rattle cans (6 cans) from a Case/Cub Cadet dealer this morning and it is now $9.95 a can. I didn't price the quart cans because I didn't need any. I think the spray cans were $7+ last summer. I like the spray cans for painting small parts, or a small number of parts, and have also painted a whole tractor (or 2 or 3 or so). It's easier than cleaning a paint gun and better for me by not using a gun to spray paint with a hardener. To each his own.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........