149 pto help

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
svojon
First and Last Name: Jonathan Gibson

149 pto help

Post by svojon »

I need help with my pto. The problem is it is weak, if i let the grass get too tall it will stall out my mow deck. So i would like to know what i can do to increase the clamping pressure of the pto. Additionally, i have a pto from my 169, are they the same or is one better?

Thanks
Jonathan
Two 149's, one with a mower deck, a blade, and a roto-tiller, the other for restoration
One 169 - future loader

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: 149 pto help

Post by mgonitzke »

Do you know for sure that the belt isn't slipping? Have you rebuilt the PTO clutch?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Jonathon

Like Matt said lets be sure the belt aint slipping. Now if its not then some of those clutches used a double or thicker disk in them. If you can get the pto apart get a hold of Engine Mike, he made some diskes that were thicker, and put one of them in. Also I take the back of the pto and rub it on the concreate to rough it up a bit. Kinda like putting new brakes on your car with out turning the rotors. They dont mate well.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Vince,
You got that new lathe and you're still rubbing the pto's on concrete to rough them up? :D Just messing with you Vince
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

svojon
First and Last Name: Jonathan Gibson

Post by svojon »

I would have to cut some more too long grass to 100% sure it is the clutch and not the belt but i recall checking for this last time and i recall thinking it was the clutch. How do i get my hands on a new clutch disk?

Thanks
Jonathan
Two 149's, one with a mower deck, a blade, and a roto-tiller, the other for restoration
One 169 - future loader