Ted lost a blade

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

Ted lost a blade

Post by wdeturck »

I was cutting my grass( :?: WEEDS) with my 128 Thursday and I was almost done when the old belt finally quit working. On Friday I took Ted out to finish it and was having trouble with the deck clogging up (I have the mulch plate on it) in the thick weeds and the clippings from using the 128 kept getting worse. I have an Ari-Fab grass sweeper which I use to pick up the clipping and I as almost done when I heard a click that the blades jumped timing and then quit cutting altogether so I took it over to the work shop and seen that te timed belt was off but I had the yard looking OK. I use my grass clippings for mulch and I didn't need these clippings so I have a Bamboo forest where I can throw the clippings. When I was unloading the clippings I felt something heavy. Here's what was in the sweeper.
Deck blade.JPG
How did this get in the sweeper?
How did this get in the sweeper?
I don't know what other parts I lost except the nut is missing(might be laying under the cover) and the bearing is still next to the blade.

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: Ted lost a blade

Post by J Hayes »

Wow geezer!! That could have been a missile...Glad it didn't cause any damage.
Had a friend years ago lost one on a push mower.. flew several feet and stuck in the ground standing on end in a neighbors yard.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

ridgerunner97
First and Last Name: Jon Pechunka

Post by ridgerunner97 »

Glad that thing didn't tear anything up Bill. We had a Ferris in the shop not long ago that had the blade broke in half right at the bolt hole. DR said he had never seen one do that and stay attached to the spindle or the spindle to the deck, especially with the rpm's these modern mower's are spinning with the blades.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I remember one failing on a push mower in 1975-6. Broke in half and part came out through the deck and sliced my moms leg open pretty well. Two days later we had a nice new rider !!! Prior to the rider we used a sickle bar on the back section and mowed the front acre with two push mowers...
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Glad nobody got hurt and you didn't have much damage to Ted :!:
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The thing that amazed me that the blade with the bearing and long shaft could work it's way out and the grass catcher could sweep it up inn the catcher(not much room between the bristles).

The Missile I remember is the guy from Texas that was cutting grass with his RED IH Cub Cadet and his trailer ball came loose and fell in the grass and on the next pass he hit it and sent it flying out the front and went through the back window and out the windshield of his truck parked about 50 feet away. They didn't find the ball till a couple weeks later and it had traveled another 90 feet.