How’d they do it? Hydraulic lines.

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

How’d they do it? Hydraulic lines.

Post by Tim DeLooza »

A recent project of mine has been putting dual hydraulics on a 1450. I decided since I have lots of single spool valves and dual spool’s are spendy and harder to get, that I would plumb in two singles. I mounted one on the side of the dash similar to the 1x9s and I moved the standard QL steering column mounted one over slightly to allow for more clearance on the fittings. Here’s what I ended up with (ignore the messes in the background)
qllines01.jpg
qllines02.jpg
qllines03.jpg
qllines04.jpg
Over all I’m happy with how it all is but I would like to find a better way to make tighter bends. I have a nice Imperial bender but it makes 1 1/8” radius bends which are too big for the tight bends needed near the hydro pump. The smallest bender I’ve found does 15/16” radius but that’s still too big so I made some dies and a “bender” of my own. It works ok for the first bend with the nut already installed, but it not really great for any of the other ones. Any ideas on what I’m missing or doing wrong? How does the factory make those nice tight bends?
bender.jpg

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: How’d they do it? Hydraulic lines.

Post by Klapatta »

Given the quantity of parts needed to be produced no doubt some form of production based single application or adjustable multi purpose tooling was involved.
power_fixture_banding_1.jpg
Split form die tooling is able to generate much tighter forms than a wheel roll bender.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I can't answer your question, but nice work! Do you have a 37 deg flaring tool?
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

Post by Tim DeLooza »

Todd, Thanks, and yes I have a 37* flare on all the ends.

Kenneth, That goes along with what I was thinking even though I haven’t ever seen a machine like that work. I did a little searching and watch a video on youtube about the dies being driven. That makes sense too. If I could drive/roll the outer die around the center it would work a lot better than sliding it around it.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Tim,
Got a link to the video? I'd like to see how that works.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

If I could only get my house plumbing to look like this :lol:
SR7111.jpg
Actually, the process is well refined going on generations for now. This closeup is of a Pratt & Whitney J58 as used in the Lockheed SR71
I have had the good fortune to examine one of these up close- that thing was covered with these pipes from end to end :shock:
Keeping in mind these engines were manufactured in the days before composites, high strength alloys, and investment castings- they were constructed almost entirely from titanium. And that stuff sucks I gotta tell ya :P
Tim, may your project turn out as well- not bad, not bad at all :D