IH-490489-R2 Belt

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Binder_Finder
First and Last Name: Tom Cahill

Re: IH-490489-R2 Belt

Post by Binder_Finder »

I went in for a new belt for my 123 after the current one had just plain worn out after all these years. I too noticed that he new one was much thinner, but it had the correct # on it, so I took it home. I installed it and ran the deck for about 30 seconds and it inverted in the engine pulley. I took it back to the dealer and told the parts guy about what I had read on here and what had happened on the pulley. He said it was non-returnable since I had installed it on my machine, and he wouldn't even swap it for the 754-3037 belt which he had in stock( i would have turned that 3037 down anyway because it said it was a 1/2 x 80 and it looked too wide to me). I asked him to call Cub, and he did contact his rep right there at the counter. The rep said that the new belts are 'thinner by design' and that there was no known issues with these belts and no warranty coverage for broken/shredded belts. At that point I was getting pretty disgusted with the whole thing, especially after spending hundreds of $$ at this dealer over the past couple of years to have them not stand behind a stinking belt. The counter guy told me that the issue was dead and the belt was mine to keep and asked who was next in line. Still not satisifed, I found the shift manager and explained the situation to him and asked him to consider the past business that I have done with him, and he agreed to refund the belt.

A lot of hassle over a $30 wrong belt. The day before, I had picked up a complete 109 with a broken connecting rod for $50, and it has a perfect original IH mule drive belt, perfect 38" deck belt, and a year-old Interstate battery. The 123 rolls on...
If the price is right...

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Just an up-date, it's been since last June but the stens belt on the 100 is still going strong. I did a full tune up on the ole 100 this past weekend and found the belt to be in great shape, if there is still an issue with the MTD belt next time I need one I'll get a stens one again! FYI the stens number on the belt is 265-037

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe,
According to the Stens web site that belt is listed as 1/2" X 81 1/2" inches long. That being the case if it works fine for a narrow frame application then how about possibly using the IH-473462R4 81"long belt? That one does have the correct cross section and extra V depth dimensions.
I picked up one of those last week and are going to give it a trial fit out when switching over for Summer duty.
While at the dealers I asked to see the IH-490489R2 in stock and that one still had the much smaller cross section however it may have been last years stock.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Well after 4+ years the stens belt finally went south! About 3 weeks ago I got lazy and swaped decks instead of Sharping blades for dear old dad and after 3 mowings the belt was done! I switched him back to his deck after a fresh set of blades and a shot of greese. He will get a gates belt tomorrow we will see how long that one lasts!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Old post update ;) I have been using the same 81" long IH-473462R4 belt on my 102 going on three years now. No issues at all. No signs of excessive wear. No slippage. It does use up most of the adjustment stroke but otherwise it's all good- I stopped waiting for disaster because nothing happens :lol: