Model 71 engine

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
stllplyswthcars
First and Last Name: Scott Smith

Model 71 engine

Post by stllplyswthcars »

I have a Model 71 that boasts a 7.5 HP Kohler engine. Lately my Cub burns more oil than fuel, so I plan on getting it rebuilt this Winter. Anyone know if it can be bored out to a larger HP? If so, what's a good source for the parts? Thanks, Scott

wdeturck

Re: Model 71 engine

Post by wdeturck »

stllplyswthcars wrote:I have a Model 71 that boasts a 7.5 HP Kohler engine. Lately my Cub burns more oil than fuel, so I plan on getting it rebuilt this Winter. Anyone know if it can be bored out to a larger HP? If so, what's a good source for the parts? Thanks, Scott
The 71 came with a 7 HP K-161 and the replacement engine from a dealer is an 8 HP K-181 you might find used or just go to a 10 HP Kohler engine which is a little higher and you can shim up the grill & pedestal ith 3/4" square tubing

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

If the engine in your 71 is the original engine, it has a bore of 2-7/8". Later K161's had a bore of 2-15/16" which is the same as the 8hp K181. Your engine can be bored to the 2-15/16 size and use the same piston as the 8 hp. The smaller bore is no longer available I don't believe, unless you find one on a dealers shelf someplace. Stens and Rotary make aftermarket replacements, but only in the larger size.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

stllplyswthcars
First and Last Name: Scott Smith

Post by stllplyswthcars »

Thanks for the the info gents. Those older horizontal Kohler engines are hard to find in Missouri. Are there other alternatives...like can one of the Kohlers off a newer Cub (late 1990's)) be easily fitted.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

No, not a bolt in by any means, although it has been said that "with enough welding rod, you can put anything in anything". The narrow width of the frame rails limits the easy bolt in swaps to the 7 to 12 hp K series engines. About anything else will require frame modifications, driveline, and wiring changes.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Paul; Thanks for the information about bores of the K-161 and the K-181. I had got a K-181 short block and not realizing the stroke is a 1/4" longer and makes the extra HP. I wanted to put the Spark Advance cam(Original's K-161 in the K-181 block) and the rod hit the camshaft so I had to use the later compression release cam shaft(it replaces the SA cam)

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Thats some interesring info on these bore sizes. I have a late 71. Most advice is to have the bore machined out to the next size bore. I like the advice about a upgrade to a K241. Hard to say what you would do with the hood brace clearing the k241 gas tank. But,...having an original equipment tractor is where I stand, but sometimes you got to have more power. :geek:
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Hood brace shouldn't be a problem because the 102 used the same hood as the 71.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Post by tractrs2nv »

Farmallgray wrote:Hood brace shouldn't be a problem because the 102 used the same hood as the 71.
Ditto, I was thinking the same thing about the square tubing? 71,102,122 & 123...same sheet metal...or is the hood brace different on the 122/123?
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

jroy
First and Last Name: Josh Roy

Post by jroy »

tractrs2nv wrote:
Farmallgray wrote:Hood brace shouldn't be a problem because the 102 used the same hood as the 71.
Ditto, I was thinking the same thing about the square tubing? 71,102,122 & 123...same sheet metal...or is the hood brace different on the 122/123?
They're exactly the same. A 10 or 12hp will bolt right in without any modifications. I swapped a small flywheel, bearing plate, and shroud onto my 14hp and dropped it into my 72.

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

I'm putting a Mag 12 in a 71 at the moment. As said you do need to cut the frame for the big flywheel.
Attachments
IMG_2037s.jpg
IMG_2037s.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
IMG_2018s.jpg
IMG_2018s.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 4555 times