Blocks

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Blocks

Post by vince_o »

Ok so whats the differance in the eng blocks, used for starter generators, 10 threw 14 hp?

Heres my thinking and dont know if I can do it or not. I have a 14 that needs resleved. I thought if I could resleve it to the standard size of the 10hp, then I could have a 10 hp with the large exhaust valve in it.

Is this posible?
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

allenpezo
First and Last Name: allen pezo

Re: Blocks

Post by allenpezo »

sleeving the k321 to a k241 should be no problem only a 1/4 in difference the blocks are the same except bore size the valves in the 241-341 are the same size the 241 has a shorter stroke and the 301-321-341 have the same stroke

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Allen

Thanks Im going to look further into it,
-Andrew Jackson

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Vince,
The exhaust valve in the 14 hp K321 was 4.5535" long and 1.035" in dia until Spec Number Sufix letter D. The K321 14 hp Sufix letter D and later, and k341 16hp used a 4.5376" long by 1.375 " dia exhaust valve.

If you are going to use the 14hp block in a narrow frame, the flywheel, rear bearing plate, and blower housing will have to be swapped for the same from a 10 or 12hp engine, or use a frame from a 147 , or modify a narrow frame for the engine to fit between the rails. Don't know if any gain you might get would be worth the trouble. Did you think about just resleveing to a 14hp?
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

jglass
First and Last Name: John K. Glass

Post by jglass »

would the thicker cylinder wall impede the cooling??? Just a thought.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Paul

I was going to use the 12 fly wheel and plate, I have a few. But after talking with Frank and going back to his Jr drag days, looks like Id loose power. I thought the larger exahust valve would help. In most cases it would but with out doing more work to the eng, it wont work as I thought. Yea I know there I go thinking again! But it all has to do with when the valves are in the scavange position. I remember some of this talking with the guy from Kawasaki at the tear down school, but the exaust gas is thiner than the intake mixture so as the exaust goes out it pulls in the fuel. With the larger valve from the 14, I may loose power cause the volume in the cylinder is smaller.
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Vince,
I always wondered why Kohler put the bigger exhaust valve in unless they were having problems with heat or something. Probably 95% of
engines use a larger intake than exhaust valve because the intake mixture is more volume than exhaust. For a stock 10 you would
be better with the small exhaust valve.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Todd

Thanks. I talked with Franks brother, he has the machine shop and dose a lot of head work for people. He thought that I would loose power too. He really didnt have a thought about the eng running hotter with the thicker sleve.
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

If I recall correctly the ten HP heart head will cause an interference issue with the larger 1 3/8" exhaust valve
DSCN0210.JPG
DSCN0210.JPG (40.96 KiB) Viewed 4429 times

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Ken, thanks cause thats what I have on mine.
-Andrew Jackson