Hydro pump, pic heavy

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Hydro pump, pic heavy

Post by vince_o »

I know this is brought up alot so I have a zturn in the shop that has a hydro pump going out, so I thought Id post some pics if you ever go into one. This is on a hydro gear but they all work the same.

The first thing I did was to cut the filter open to see if there was any metal in the paper element.
HYDRO PUMP 001.jpg
So seeing all the metal we tore into the pump.

heres the charge pump, should be smooth and no scoreing.
HYDRO PUMP 015.jpg
Heres the pump surface that it rides on. This too is sposta be smooth, rule of thumb is if you can catch a fingernail on it its bad.
Attachments
HYDRO PUMP 007.jpg
HYDRO PUMP 010.jpg
HYDRO PUMP 011.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Re: Hydro pump, pic heavy

Post by vince_o »

Now heres the pistons, see how some are dull, means that they are scored.
HYDRO PUMP 009.jpg
We found the cause of all the metal in the pump, the roller bearing came apart, 600 hrs on the unit.
HYDRO PUMP 012.jpg
Attachments
HYDRO PUMP 013.jpg
HYDRO PUMP 013.jpg
HYDRO PUMP 014.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

And you know me, never serious about anything, this guy here has worked on my trucks when I was driving. Hes some how related to Frank, retired so he stops in every onece and a while. I think hes related to Ugly Jim :lol:
Attachments
HYDRO PUMP 008.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

ridgerunner97
First and Last Name: Jon Pechunka

Post by ridgerunner97 »

Nice pics Vince :beer: We tear down those hydro gear pumps and wheel motors etc. at least once a week or once every two weeks sometimes more often. We've never had a failure at that hour level however. They are really neat for those that have never had one apart, I never thought to take pictures. Do you only work on cub's or other z's as well? We are a Kohler, Briggs diamond, Exmark, Ferris, Snapper, Toro, and Stihl Elite Dealer and stock parts for almost everything. I enjoy wrenching on the z's and handheld stuff the most though :)

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

vince_o wrote:And you know me, never serious about anything, this guy here has worked on my trucks when I was driving. Hes some how related to Frank, retired so he stops in every onece and a while. I think hes related to Ugly Jim :lol:
Now Chumlee ! I know this guy ain't a relation.....My brother always said "Ya cant have hair and brains both" I can tell he is twice as smart as both of us put together. Nother thing .. I think a lot, so that makes sense when I read one time ......If yer bald in front, that means your a thinker...if yer bald in back that means yer sixy.. If yer bald in front and back ..ya just think ya are.

Trouble is .. when ya make a barber trip, it costs the same to mow the whole field as it does to just trim the fence line.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Jon

Just cubs. We are Kohler, kawasaki, Briggs, Honda, Subaru, Hydro and Pearless dealer. All we do is service work. The only whole goods we sell is the Kawasaki hand held stuff. But we will work on anything, I dont like working on the deeres.
-Andrew Jackson

tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Post by tractrs2nv »

Vince...and the rest of you that has wrenched on these newer CCC's. Friend of my son's asked me if I could help him out on his 1554. ONLY 172 hrs on it. First issue was give it a bath, next was a tie: steering gear/bushing worn...left rear wheel, they ran the tractor w/a loose wheel. Next issue was several large self tapping bolts missing on both sides of the frame and trans axle. Next issue PM the deck including paint where it had large areas of paint blew off. Replaced worn steering parts,serviced the engine and deck(did some weld repairs to the deck). Replaced missing hardware on the frame. The rear 2 piece stamp wheel was costly so I repaired it and replaced the studs/lug nuts. Right rear was fixing to be run loose so I used thread locker and re-tighten. Question?; Are these machines still shipped with the wheels/tires not mounted? Tractor was purchased at TSC.
Nice pics Vince on the hydro info!
Attachments
tractor cleaned up nicely...
tractor cleaned up nicely...
typical wear @ 172 hrs.?
typical wear @ 172 hrs.?
wheel repair 002 (540x405).jpg
Gt1554 006 (540x405).jpg
A lot of other small issues too: head lites and cruise would not work. Hood hinge broke. I could never consider giving $ for what they gave for it new...NO WAY! Glad the power plant is not a Kohler Courage lol!
A lot of other small issues too: head lites and cruise would not work. Hood hinge broke. I could never consider giving $ for what they gave for it new...NO WAY! Glad the power plant is not a Kohler Courage lol!
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've had two locals here asking me if I had any of those rear 4 lug Cub Cadet wheels for the exact same reason. Came loose and wore the rims out. Both were newer tractors (one two years old and don't remember the other but wasn't that old). Both said the dealer would only sell them a wheel/tire assembly and it was $$$$$$$$$ You're not the only one I guess.
I think they're shipped with the wheels on already. I've seen them sitting outside TSC here with wheels and ready to go before they ever made it to where they're going in the store. They'd have to put them on right on the truck before unloading if they aren't shipped with tires installed (here at least).
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Wheels are on them, BUT theres a precheck list your sposta do that I dont think the big box stores do. If they did the units would be greased. I have some of those 4 lug centers, but I think they are for zturns. Ill look incase you end up needing one.
-Andrew Jackson

deepsouthsupply
First and Last Name: Ronald DiPietro

Post by deepsouthsupply »

Thanks for the pics...on what you are talking about..this might be the only time I ever see inside one of those..Ha HA

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

The pump was off a cub cadet tank. Its a white hyd pump.
-Andrew Jackson

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Vince, what kind of money is a rebuild kir for a hydro if you replace the common wear parts? The one in the 1863 is getting a bit loose.
That or I may try to find a rear out of an earlier tractor like the 1541. Am thinking that stub shaft would be nice to drive a hydro pump for outboard use.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Steve

Dont know really. This pump was like 500.
-Andrew Jackson