149 new to me??

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
roadstar30
First and Last Name: robert lindstadt

149 new to me??

Post by roadstar30 »

Ok got the 149 home !!!!!
It's slow to turn over like the decompression is not kicking in?????
Is there a way to fix this without tearing in to engine?????
Also the hydro shift is a little weird will go to full with out me touching it!!!
Is there any adjustment???? Or lube joints
Thanks

wshytle
First and Last Name: Wayne Shytle

Re: 149 new to me??

Post by wshytle »

Robert-

You might need to remove the cam gear cover to check the return spring on the ACR if that is your problem. The shifter has an adjustment under the dash. There is a nylon bushing located on the bottom of the shifter shaft that is squeezed by a small bolt in the bracket. I think the manual calls for 7 to 10 lbs of pull on the shifter handle for proper adjustment. If your bushing is toast most sponsors have the bushing.

If you end up having to pull the engine I'd consider removing the grenade (balance) gears while it's on the bench.

Hope this helps.

roadstar30

Post by roadstar30 »

Is the cover removable ons 14hp and can I get to it without taking engine out? I don't have Internet now do to hurricane
So can't get to download manual for engine
Thanks

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Robert

As said the spring may be off on the ACR. Also a few other things to check, not nessearly to do with it being hard to turn over. Check the valve clearance, its in a square block behind the carb bowl. If you have to remove the eng and open it up, the pull out the balance gears, and your this far to pull out the acr, put a new gov and shaft in it. Heck your this far and if you have the money, Id rebuild the eng, or at least re ring it.

As far as the hydro that bushing its probbly shot. Im not a fan of hydros, but my 149's Ive had I make the forward lever real tight, not hard to move, but stiffer than most. Also look at the trunion and see if its worn. It will get little groves worn in the corners. You can weld them back up and file them out square again. Some use key stock, theres somewhere that I saw a plate made to go over your old. This will make a huge differance in your hydro too.
TRUNION PLATE.jpg
This is one Im fixing for a guy in PA today. Ill post some more pics of it when Im done.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wshytle
First and Last Name: Wayne Shytle

Post by wshytle »

The cover is removable and the engine has to be out. You may be able to lift the engine a little and get to the two bottom bolts that way but just removing it would be the simplest way. That way you could go ahead and remove the grenade gears. Has the engine been decarboned? While you're doing all of this I'd decarbon, resurface the head, and replace the head gasket. Also check the valve clearance like Vince suggested and make sure the crankcase breather is clean and "breathing" like it should. There are small holes that have to be open in the breather compartment too. The manual covers this stuff so when you're able that's the first thing I'd do...get the manual and read it.

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

before pulling the engine take the belt off the starter gen. and make sure it spins over fast like it should when you hit the key. Do you have a high enough cranking power batt? The hydro's need more power than standards,i use 350cca battery's as a min. for good starting.

deepsouthsupply
First and Last Name: Ronald DiPietro

Post by deepsouthsupply »

I do not have a 149 hydro...But I do have a 107 hydro and at idle the engagement lever moves forward (up) or down very slowly..I have to tap it back to neutral...how can that be fixed?

roadstar30

Post by roadstar30 »

Ok
Now I know what to do. I think. I would say i will have to replace spring on acr!!!!!
I am going to tare apart the 108 and use that engine for parts if I have too.
Still waiting on electric due to sandy!!!!!
Thanks guys

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Heres the finnished product. Ive done better, and Ive done worse, but this will work.
Attachments
TRUNION PLATE 2.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

roadstar30

Post by roadstar30 »

deepsouthsupply wrote:I do not have a 149 hydro...But I do have a 107 hydro and at idle the engagement lever moves forward (up) or down very slowly..I have to tap it back to neutral...how can that be fixed?
not sure

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Post by Dbaumanjr »

tighten the preload on the hydro shift linkage at the bottom of the shift column under the tractor by the steering column, as was mentioned before.
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....