Best replacement lift option? Cub Cadet 147)

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jclark1245
First and Last Name: Josh Clark

Best replacement lift option? Cub Cadet 147)

Post by jclark1245 »

I have a Cub Cadet 147. The electric lift on it just stopped working. I wanted to know the best way to replace this lift. Here are a few options I have heard of:
  • Buying a refurbished OEM lift.
  • Buying a Brand new electric actuator, from someplace like Harbor Freight.
  • Getting a ported hydro pump (OEM) and adding a hydraulic system (OEM or not).
  • Adding an accessory hydraulic pump and system.
If anyone knows of the best option (both economical, and easy) , or knows of something else I can do, please help.

Josh
-Josh Clark
  • Cub Cadet 147
  • Wheel Horse Raider 12

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Best replacement lift option? Cub Cadet 147)

Post by ksanders »

josh,
Buying another used lift may not be a bad idea if its cheap simply because its bolt and go. I wouldn't try to make a harbor freight actuator work. The Cub one is weak enough. I can't imagine an aftermarket holding up.
Personally I think it would be a bit more work but I'd go with the ported pump and hydro lift and not give it a second thought. It will be more work up front but probably a touch cheaper for all the parts and much more lifting power and longevity.

Side note: if all you're doing is cutting grass, just get the electric lift as it doesn't leak down. Any other work I'd go hydro lift
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Well certainly the easiest option is to either get your electric lift repaired or find a used one. price is medium, effort is low

the second easiest option is finding a narrow frame hydro lift.... a little custom work... a drill and a sawzall is about all you need. price is a little high effort is meduim

Lastly like kevin said a ported pump setup from a 129 or whatever is a very elegant way to do it... should be able to get most of the parts for under 100... will require some custom hydraulic lines... effort is kinda high but price is low...
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

The easiest way as discribed is a rebuilt lift from another cub. Many of the guys that rebulid them should give you a core charge for yours. If your just mowing the cheepest route would be a manual lift. Any narrow frame would be a good doner. As others have said both narrow or wide frame hydro lifts are also good options.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Most economical would be to convert to hand lift from a 127, 125 etc. For mowing or using a front blade it doesn't take that much effort.

I have never seen Harbor Freight carrying actuators, but Northern Hydraulics probably does. Another place you may find them for a reasonable price is http://www.surpluscenter.com.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

jclark1245

Post by jclark1245 »

Some of the brand new actuators look very similar. And I got confused, it is Northern Tool.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... -actuators

And I want to use the tractor to plow my driveway in the winter, not just mowing grass.
I hear you on the ported hydro. Do you know where I can get everything easily, or do I have to do some searching?
-Josh Clark
  • Cub Cadet 147
  • Wheel Horse Raider 12

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

You rarely find a complete set-up (or at least I don't see them too terribly often not being sold part by part). This is on Ebay at the moment from a quick search though. You'll need to make a handle to operate the splitter and have the ported hydro pump still. I'm pretty sure I have a ported pump out somewhere. I have no association with seller. Just a quick ebay search.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUB-CADET-149-H ... 4d07ddffde

Only issue I see with the lift you posted from northerntool is how do they mount up? If they'd mount right and work off of that same lift specific switch the Cub Cadets use that isn't as expensive as I would have guessed on an electric lift.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

jclark1245

Post by jclark1245 »

Thanks for everyone's input. :D When I get some money I'll probably look at some electric ones, mostly because their rating is much higher than OEM ones, and they have good reviews. The new ones also have automatic stop, unlike the older ones that have an override clutch, causing them to heat up more. I'm not totally opposed to the hydro conversion, so thanks for the info, and the example link.
-Josh Clark
  • Cub Cadet 147
  • Wheel Horse Raider 12