PTO clutch disk

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

PTO clutch disk

Post by OhioBinder »

I have read on here about the thick clutch disks that are availabe or some putting 2 disks in. What is the real advantage of a thick disk? They clamping pressure is determined by the spring and should be the same no matter what the disk thickness it if adjusted with the proper gauge.
Are they made of a gripier material?
It looks to me that the only whay to make the clutch grip better is to increace the clamping pressure. Am I wrong on this?
Of cource this taking into account the metal surfaces are flat and not glazed.
Just wondering. Need to redo my tiller one before spring.
David
David Gregg
NW oIHo

wshytle
First and Last Name: Wayne Shytle

Re: PTO clutch disk

Post by wshytle »

I've heard the thicker discs were for increased horsepower but that's hearsay on my part. Whether you use thick, thin, or double thin discs if the spring is adjusted properly it will be the same in all cases. Any time the pto is gone into it's a good idea to resurface the pressure plates.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The reason for the thicker disc is for strength of the disc itself. More strength was needed with the higher hp tractors to keep the fingers from breaking off. Some of the later ones used double springs for more clamping force.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Post by OhioBinder »

Thanks Todd
Thank makes sence to me now.
I was told that the thicker would grip better and not slip. I couldn't see how they would do that if they were made out of the same material and still used the same tension spring. The only way I could see to make them grip better was to increase the spring tension.
I guess I never was around the higher HP ones to realize that they would break off the teeth. All the CC's that I have been around all have been old and tired like myself.

David
David Gregg
NW oIHo