There's always something in this hobby you don't have

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

There's always something in this hobby you don't have

Post by ksanders »

From all factory options, to most Brinly attachments, every IH built model, a 3-digit pull start Original, first 3 carts, sickle mower, diesel, etc... I thought I had everything or have at one point owned about all I ever wanted to but this hobby never ceases to be enjoyable. Traded for this today. Came a whopping 4 miles from my house and got rid of something I wanted to get rid of anyway. Gas is stale and not running so I'll tear it down and mess with it. Great condition to repaint/restore completely though and something different. :beer:
Attachments
push mower 001.jpg
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: There's always something in this hobby you don't have

Post by BigMike »

I spent many a youth hours pushing a Lawnboy like that.....great mowers! and they work great on banks and for trimming under stuff.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Kevin

ILL BUY THAT FROM YOU! It will go nice with my other one.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

From the side decals I can't tell if that's a hydro or standard???? :geek:

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Its standard but came with a creeper so I can hook the snowblower to it. :lol:

Vince, considering its the only one I've ever had or seen locally I think I'll hold on to it a bit. I researched all night to find the model and didn't even think to read the serial tag.

I considered redoing the whole thing but with the shape of the deck itself I'll probably just paint the faded guard yellow again and redo the top (white) plastic on it and leave the deck original condition. Should look nice next to the Cadet 60.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

I got the manual for it, just a lawn boy but Paul found me the manuals on the push mowers and also got some from ray covering some other lawn stuff.

Well you got my number if you ever want to ger rid of it. I lucked out and got mine as a NOS eng and bought the deck off epay.
-Andrew Jackson

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I downloaded all the manuals from the toro sight for these lawnboy motors. I have a question for those more experienced than myself with these. I did a lot of research on the workings of these motors. Before trying it I soaked and cleaned the carb, cleaned the coil pack and flywheel and got new plug, and fixed the recoil spring. I have great spark and finally got it running. Fires quick and easy but only sits there and sputters. No response to idle screw adjustments any way, no increase in RPMs manually moving the linkage on the throttle shaft, just sputters.
I took the "muffler" off the bottom and the exhaust ports were actually carbon free. Try a governor adjustment. Compression around 75 which is a touch low but should run it. It doesn't respond to anything. I'm thinking governor not doing something right, flooding somehow, or a crank seal messing with the vacuum/compression from the best I can understand with how these work.
Also, it has oil in the big muffler housing and leaking down out of the bottom of the motor but isn't even a 4-cycle (no oil crankcase). Doesn't smell like gas and I was burning air plane fuel to test it. Best I understand its a D-600 motor.

Any suggestions.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

I run mine at 32 to 1 except the early 60's I run 16 to 1

They dont rev high but it should respond to the gov. If theres a hint of blue smoke then the oil and gas is mixed just about righ, thats the way I grew up on them, pissing off Al Gore :lol:

Ive never had to fix a carb on one. When they get to sputtering I just push the primer and it clears up. I know Franks son has fixed a few with new needle seat and float.

To be honest Ive never had to tear into one. And running low ash oil will keep the eng real clean, I use it in my 106 and most of the 2 stroke oils are ashless.
-Andrew Jackson

bkw3614
First and Last Name: Brian Wittman

Post by bkw3614 »

Kevin,

That mower is really an old Lawnboy. There is a guy in Tennessee who can fix those blindfolded! I have known Jim for over forty years and I know he would love to get that running, and running well for you. I think he is about the only one I would trust to overhaul the Kohler in my tractor.

Here is his contact information:

www.shade-tree-mechanic.net
jwestrich2504@hughes.net
615.496.9736 cell

Brian Wittman

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks but since the last post I researched, visited a local lawnboy dealer, and jumped through all kinds of hoops before I figured out the coil was 2-stage (fires faster once started) and wasn't switching over. The long time lawnboy dealer didn't even know that and web info on it is limited. Not a typical coil issue I'm used to and had me scratching my head for a good while. I found a NOS one, had new decals printed, and repainted the whole thing. Cut with it a few mins in some winter's version of old weeds and it does well.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Let's see how the BlackBerry does with pics.
Attachments
IMG-20130120-00597.jpg
IMG-20130120-00598.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Nice job as always!!!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Kevin, Ill ship you mine and make it like that one please! LOL I have toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many projects!

Great job as alway Kevin!
-Andrew Jackson

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Nice job Kevin! :beer:

JohnathanB
First and Last Name: johnathan bruford

Post by JohnathanB »

Love how it has the same front end of the tractor,great restore :beer:
1650, 1450 duel hydro,42" tiller,42"snow blower,42 & 54 snow/dirt plow,42 & 50 mower deck ,brinly bottom plow,brinly cultivator with shovel hillers,#2 IH cart

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Vince,
Do you have any like this?

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks guys

Vince, it can be done but I dropped about $75 in paint and decals alone to keep it like original when I did this one.

billor57
First and Last Name: Bill Collins

Post by billor57 »

Nice job as usual Kevin, throw us a couple of pictures of that Ford your redoing I'd like to see it.
Bill

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Lew yes I have that mower on the front cover. Paul Bell sent me the manuals for the push mowers and I think there is a tiller in there too, is it a 65 I belive?
-Andrew Jackson

Mountain Heritage
First and Last Name: Mike Patterson

Post by Mountain Heritage »

Kevin,
I was lucky to find one of these almost 2 years ago now. I have yet to get it running, just collecting dust in the garage. I need to find a new top piece for mine. Not sure if I can patch it up and reshape it with fiber glass? Does fiber glass bond to the old plastic this was made out of?

Really neat unit to have if I ever get to take tractors to a show. Would sit nicely in the #4 trailer.

Mine looks exactly like yours before your restored it...only the top plastic is missing a BIG chunk out of it.
Now everyone wants a red Cub!

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Bill, what old Ford? If you mean that Falcon convertible I had I traded that off for an 06 Cub hauler (truck) a while back. That was a fun restoration but today you can't drive a convertible anywhere and expect it to not get slashed up, hit, or something.

Mike, fiberglass should stick fine. I know it isn't plastic but I refiberglassed my Cadet 60 with great results for its restore. I'd think that would be way easier than finding one. If you need help getting it going I'm well-taught on those things after what I went through with this one and am close to an excellently knowledged lawn-boy dealership. They helped me on this one and the 6-7 parts I bought probably never totaled 20 dollars there. Short of the good chit-chat, they couldn't have made anything on all the time we spent discussing these.